Thread: 60 year old Scheaffer

Thanks

Default 60 year old Sheaffer

This is my 60 year old Sheaffer, which, thanks to this forum, I am learning more about every day.
    It probably came to Australia in the late 1950s with my now deceased mother.
    My mother used this pen throughout my childhood until it needed servicing; unfortunately this was not possible in a remote bush settlement at that time.
    I found the pen, carefully laid away, after Mother died. Once I have it serviced, I hope to use it myself.
    I am receiving a great deal of help from people on this forum and have learned so much in the past week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Escaliba; September 22nd, 2016 at 05:48 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: 60 year old Scheaffer

Please note that HughC (Hugh Cordingley), who has already given you some info in the other thread, is a marvelous resource for you in two ways: he is very, very expert in Sheaffers, one of the best I know, and he lives in AU! I would send him a private message, if I were you, regarding getting your pen properly restored. He will be invaluable to you, and is a really great person, too!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Escaliba (August 30th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Please note that HughC (Hugh Cordingley), who has already given you some info in the other thread, is a marvelous resource for you in two ways: he is very, very expert in Sheaffers, one of the best I know, and he lives in AU! I would send him a private message, if I were you, regarding getting your pen properly restored. He will be invaluable to you, and is a really great person, too!
    Thanks, Jon, that is much appreciated. I have actually already sent him a private message a short time ago. You are now the second person to warmly recommend HughC, which is great.
    Being so new to this, I am just spreading my wings a bit as I know not all people will follow all threads/topics etc.

Thanks

I believe that Sheaffer made or assembled pens in Australia at one time. I've seen Sheaffer pens with a "Made In Aust." imprinted on the barrel. Just a piece of Australian pen trivia for you.

Cheers,
    Rick
    ------------------------------------
    Life Is Not A Rehearsal

My Pen Club: The London (Canada) Pen Club
    The Blog: The London Pen Club Blog
    The Facebook Page: The London Pen Club on Facebook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Video11 For This Useful Post:

Escaliba (August 30th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Video11 View Post
    I believe that Sheaffer made or assembled pens in Australia at one time. I've seen Sheaffer pens with a "Made In Aust." imprinted on the barrel. Just a piece of Australian pen trivia for you.

Cheers,
    Rick
    After reading the above, I promptly checked over my pen with magnifying glass and light: you are quite right. In the tiniest engraving possible, the words Sheaffers Made in Australia can just be read. This helps me date the pen because my mother arrived in Australia in 1956. Many thanks, Rick.
    Last edited by Escaliba; August 31st, 2016 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Careful with your typing (only because it may hinder web searches): there is no "c" in "Sheaffer(s)".
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Escaliba View Post
    After reading the above, I promptly checked over my pen with magnifying glass and light: you are quite right. In the tiniest engraving possible, the words Scheaffers Made in Australia can just be read. This helps me date the pen because my mother arrived in Australia in 1956. Many thanks, Rick.
    That's wonderful. I've a bit of an affinity for pens Made in Canada, at one time Sheaffer, Parker, Waterman and Esterbrook all made pens here.
    ------------------------------------
    Life Is Not A Rehearsal

My Pen Club: The London (Canada) Pen Club
    The Blog: The London Pen Club Blog
    The Facebook Page: The London Pen Club on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Careful with your typing (only because it may hinder web searches): there is no "c" in "Sheaffer(s)".
    Thanks for that: actually, it wasn't a typo but me getting a trifle confused with different spellings....glad to get it sorted out.