Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What age do you consider is 'old'?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,450 Times in 4,002 Posts

Default What age do you consider is 'old'?

Yesterday I was watching a TV show about car clamping. An investigator was carefully scrutinising Blue Badges in parked cars. (Disabled Parking permits for those of you across the pond)
    He had received information that a particular car was parked in the same disabled bay all day, every day. So the investigator checked up on the holder of the Blue Badge.

He then said 'The badge belongs to an elderly lady born in 1954'

That started me wondering, at exactly what age is someone 'old.' I hadn't yet considered myself as old....but maybe everyone else does?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Default Re: What age do you consider is 'old'?

Oh dear.

Might as well hand in my dinner-pail now then!

C.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 20th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Going only on numbers, certainly at 62, the woman in the story is beyond middle age ( or we should all expect to live to 124 if that is the "middle" of a lifespan!).
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 20th, 2016), Cob (October 20th, 2016), Red Harry N. G. (October 21st, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Depends on the day. At fifty I still felt a kid. At 60 I realized I was finally learning how to think like an adult. At 70 I noticed I didn't get over minor aches, pains and colds as quickly as I used to. Maybe I am getting old.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 20th, 2016), Cob (October 20th, 2016), Escaliba (October 21st, 2016), Haefennasiel (October 21st, 2016), Hawk (October 20th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Someone born in 1954 is still a kid to me. I'm old.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 20th, 2016), Cob (October 20th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (October 20th, 2016), VertOlive (October 20th, 2016)

Thanks

Dunno -- maybe 10 years older than my age at any given moment? Wife and I are both 70. We have "blue badges" in both of our vehicles for my wife's crippling ailments, but even she seldom takes advantage.

I guess when I can't ride my road bike any more, then I'll consider myself old.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveBj For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 20th, 2016), WallyRussell (October 21st, 2016)

Thanks

I'm 47, and sometimes I remember the time when my father was 47 and realize how old I am. I do feel a lot younger than he looked to me at the time, though.

Matias

Thanks

It's common to see "senior citizens" discounts in the US which is usually anyone >= 55 years. The next level which one might consider "old" would be receipt of social security benefits upon retirement. I believe one must work to age 62 to be eligible for social security benefits.

Thanks

I have known boys of 18 who behave like old men with flat'ats who will suck a pint of beer in a corner all night, and 80 and 90 year olds who climb mountains or go to raves. It's all in the mind.

(I was much much older earlier this year than I am now - thanks to excellent health treatment I am now feeling like a spring chicken again instead of a not-very-well centenarian.)

Thanks

I was born in 1957 and sometimes feel old. Maybe it's because I'm a professor, constantly interacting with 20-year-olds who seem younger and more clueless every year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fqgouvea For This Useful Post:

Cob (October 20th, 2016), Haefennasiel (October 21st, 2016), VertOlive (December 26th, 2016)

Thanks

According to this forum, I'm a "Senior Member". And I keep having "senior moments" too, which is worrying.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to datainadequate For This Useful Post:

Cob (October 20th, 2016), Haefennasiel (October 21st, 2016), Hawk (October 20th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fqgouvea View Post
    I was born in 1957 and sometimes feel old. Maybe it's because I'm a professor, constantly interacting with 20-year-olds who seem younger and more clueless every year.
    On the other hand, my wife was born in 1951 and is not in any way elderly!

Thanks

It is probably mostly genetic. I received my "Golden Buckeye Card", granting me discounts at many stores at age 55. Thought it was pretty funny at the time, officially being an old fogart and still portaging a 65 pound canoe a mile through the woods. I am 70 now and would have to stop and rest a time or two on that mile. But, of my high school classmates, many are dead and many others are gimping around with steel hips and knees; some are dragging oxygen bottles on wheels and wearing the plastic hackamore that goes with it. Most of the rest are complaining of aches and pains and bad teeth. I still walk a couple of miles in the woods, most days, and call a murder of crows to me for a few slices of stale bread. Go figure.

Thanks

At 69, I am starting to slow down. Many people say I'm in my 50's. A friend of mine is in his 80's and is happy when I call him an old fart. I belong to AARP but no longer look at it's newsletter because it is about old people and that is depressing. I don't want to get old (even though I can't change that) but wonder what happened to the years that have gone by.... I see quite a few people my age or younger that seem proud to look, act and feel old; kind of a status symbol.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

When I was a boy, 60 was old- my grandparents retired at that age and everyone said that that was the right age.
    As a student, old people on the wards were 70
    Now I have 80 year olds playing tennis and a lady who came in very embarrassed having hurt her knn dancing till midnight at her 90th birthday party.
    Some days, it's hardly worth chewing through the leather straps....

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldstoat For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (October 20th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (October 20th, 2016), Morgaine (October 21st, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Yes, reminds me of Lytton Strachey's Eminent Victorians.

In the first section which concerns Cardinal Manning, Strachey refers to Newman thus:

"Newman was now an old man - he was sixty-three years of age. What had he to look forward to?"

That's how age was viewed in 1918! And those words have haunted me for some time...

Oh dear.

Cob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

As a 19-year-old in a college setting, I think about these things very little, but to me it seems the actual age of a person is quite irrelevant to this question. Being old, to my eye, is something determined by one's behavior: what is their spirit like? What gives them purpose? How do they perceive themselves? One of my favorite violinists, Ivry Gitlis, turned 94 this summer. Yet I would struggle, as a fan, to call him "old." It is possible I'm too focused on connotation and not denotation?
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

amk (October 20th, 2016), Escaliba (October 21st, 2016), Jon Szanto (October 20th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (October 20th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fqgouvea View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't know--I teach, too, and I think they keep me young (certainly on my toes). And students have always had the reputation of being clueless, haven't they? I was just reading Dorothy Sayers' Gaudy Night where Lord Peter and Harriet make the same observations about the young--and about their younger selves, too.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    As a 19-year-old in a college setting, I think about these things very little, but to me it seems the actual age of a person is quite irrelevant to this question. Being old, to my eye, is something determined by one's behavior: what is their spirit like? What gives them purpose? How do they perceive themselves? One of my favorite violinists, Ivry Gitlis, turned 94 this summer. Yet I would struggle, as a fan, to call him "old." It is possible I'm too focused on connotation and not denotation?
    Thank you for this very wise post, Will.
    Lady Onogaro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    Yes, reminds me of Lytton Strachey's Eminent Victorians.

In the first section which concerns Cardinal Manning, Strachey refers to Newman thus:

"Newman was now an old man - he was sixty-three years of age. What had he to look forward to?"

That's how age was viewed in 1918! And those words have haunted me for some time...

Oh dear.

Cob
    As the old advertisement used to say, "[You're] not getting old; [you're] getting better."

I just saw an article that said Cher was going out on tour again, and she's 70.
    Lady Onogaro