Thread: Two pen show etiquette questions

Thanks

Default Two pen show etiquette questions

Hi, I'm going to my 2nd pen show ever (Toronto Pen Show) and there are two things I'm not clear about. I have a feeling that these are issues may have been beaten to death, but for whatever reason I couldn't find them easily.

1. Can I give/trade inks I've only used once or twice? I've got 4 or 5 inks that I've only used a converter's-worth or two ever, and don't intend to use either because the colour wasn't what I thought, or realized that I've already got a very similar ink. Even though the bottles are "used," I've barely touched them. Are there other people out there who would like to trade/receive inks in this way?

2. I'd like to sell some pens; do people like them inked up (so they can take them on a test run) or super-clean? They're a mix of dirt-cheap ones I want to get rid of, and one or two pricier ones for which I have the original box etc, not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm not out to maximize profits or anything, just have fun and not be rude. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Default Re: Two pen show etiquette questions

#1. Hard to say, but if you are going to have a little table space, it wouldn't hurt to set them out with a price. There are probably some people who would be leery of a partially used ink (contamination, etc), but probably at least as many that might want to try something new. I can't see the harm if you are up-front about it. Of course, I mean individuals, not larger vendors - I wouldn't expect to try to trade a used bottle for some new ink.

#2. All things considered, I'd probably have the pens clean. Easier for transport and you avoid any messes that would have to be cleaned, and you can always have a bottle of ink (to dip) and a glass of water (to rinse) if people would like to try out a pen. I never assume a pen will be inked when looking at a show.

HTH - have fun!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

h4nkw (October 22nd, 2016)

Thanks

Thanks! I'll keep checking back in case any other people have tidbits of advice. For #1, I'll be totally upfront about used ink, I'm not even sure others will have any also slightly-used stuff to trade anyway.

I can't wait!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,441 Times in 2,523 Posts

Jon summed it up. Depending on how many pens you will be carrying, it's common to carry more than a half dozen uninked pens in a larger pen case. Besides, the case advertises that you have something to show or to sell. Vendors will ask what you've got in the case. I'll carry two Waterman ink bottles for dipping, one of ink and one of water, plus a couple paper towels

The problem with ink is it's hardly worth the time. Pen shows just don't feature opened bottles for sale and swap because people aren't looking for it. I manage our local pen group that meets sporadically, and I encourage participants to bring unwanted inks to swap, and that works.

Fred

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 23rd, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by h4nkw View Post
    Thanks! I'll keep checking back in case any other people have tidbits of advice. For #1, I'll be totally upfront about used ink, I'm not even sure others will have any also slightly-used stuff to trade anyway.

I can't wait!
    I don't know about the Toronto Pen Show, but at the Dallas Pen Show (and I assume this applies to the other Pen Shows in the US), there aren't may people who are looking to trade inks and inexpensive pens. From your question, I also assume (maybe wrong) that you're going to the Pen Show as a visitor, not a vendor (who paid for a table or two), or the organizer of the show.

You may be able to find another visitors to trade inks and pens with, but if you're thinking about trading with the vendors, they maybe looking for either high-end pens that they can re-sell, or super-cheap vintage pens that has become super-rare (for example, an ebonite Dollar Esterbrook).

I'm not here to dissuade you from trying, just want to setup the level of expectation. At any rate, Pen Shows are just fun to be in, talk, learn, oogle, and learn some more
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

This reminds me of something I once did. I don't often go to FP shows or meetings of any kind, but on the first occasion I attended a Boston Pen People meeting, Richard Binder happened to be there. Richard, like all collectors in attendance, had come with a case of pens for show and tell. At one point he was showing off the then-new Edison Beaumont pneumatic and describing the various design choices he had recommended to Brian. During which time he actuated the filler a few times. At some point the pen was in my hand, and I decided to actuate the filler. I wondered how easily the air hole in back was sealed by the finger. I proceeded to launch a half-ml or more of Waterman Blue Black on the floor in front of me. You see, with this design, you can move the plunger back and forth all you want with the pen inked as long as you don't cover the breather hole in the blind cap. My experience with Sheaffer Touchdown fillers was my undoing, as I had mistakenly inferred the pen to be uninked when he actuated the plunger before.
    --
    Mike

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 24th, 2016)

Thanks

If you have a table for Scriptus I'd say yes to bringing ink to sell. Pens to sell should be clean but have ink with you. If you don't have a table I'd say leave it at home. It isn't really a venue for non vendor sales / trading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk