Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me find a blue black

Thanks

Default Help me find a blue black

Okay.

I am looking for a Blue Black and having a devil of a time.

WAY TOO MANY UGLY TEALS BEING CALLED BLUE BLACK OUT THERE.

The good

Platinum. I like the stuff a lot but it is way too dry for a few of my pens. It is a nice IG Blue that starts out a bit dusty and with lots of blue and dries and ages to a nice color. A really really nice ink and great in my Parker Vac and my juicy Sheaffer Statesman and a few of my wetter pens and better flow than many IG inks but not optimal in a few of my pens.

Montblanc JFK. Sweet baby Jesus I love this ink and would buy it by the gallon where it not limited. But yeah. It is limited. grrr.

Pelikan Tanzanite. GREAT color. GREAT GREAT GREAT. Pretty good flow (for Pelikan, an ink brand I do not get along with) but zero lubrication. I am mystified by claims this has lubriation. Flow, sure, lube, none. A truly handsome ink but like writing with water.

The bad

All them awful hideous teals. Blue Black not Blue Green. Sickly ugly Blue Green. Yuk.

Pilot Irosihzuku Tsuki-yo
    Great on the internet. Total yawn in meat-space.

Pilot Blue Black
    Not bad really but a tad too dusty and light. I used a lot of this over the years but really do find it dusty.

Everything Diamine
    Love Diamine but have yet to see a Blue Black of theirs I liked. The 1382 (whatever) anniversary BB was pretty much weak black. Their standard blue black is puke inducing. Exception: Chopin from the music set. I will buy this if I ever see it. Looks quite a bit like JFK in fact.

Sheaffer, okay… meh. I'll use it till it is empty.

So you see I like Chopin, MB JFK, Tanzanite you see the area I am in, blue-y blue blacks with a bit of saturation, not too dusty, not charcoal black with zero perceptible blue in it and as little teal/green as humanly possible. Now I want that ink to flow well, clean up well (JFK and Tanzanite clean up very well), with decent lubrication and READILY AVAILABLE.

Tanzanite is really close for me. If it had any lube at all my search would be over. Ackerman #10 looks great but is not available in these parts.

IG BlBlk 4001, which I can still get here is just hell. I really don't know how anyone can write with that juice. Weak. Dry. No thanks.

Suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default Re: Help me find a blue black

Sailor Jentle Blue Black perhaps?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

KKay (December 2nd, 2016), Sammyo (December 4th, 2016), stub (December 1st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    I tried this ink and it shocked me. I ordinarily love Sailor inks. But this was a chalky blue and hardly a blue black at all and unusually low saturation. I really expected to like it and for the first time in my life was disappointed with a sailor ink. I could not get it out of my pen fast enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    I tried this ink and it shocked me. I ordinarily love Sailor inks. But this was a chalky blue and hardly a blue black at all and unusually low saturation. I really expected to like it and for the first time in my life was disappointed with a sailor ink. I could not get it out of my pen fast enough.
    Hmmmm, well that's strange. My Blue-Black is a nice, wet dark, dark blue, with just a tint of black. Exactly as I think a blue-black should look. Agree it's not the most saturated of Sailor inks, but as most are super-saturated the comparison seems rather meaningless. And mine is a long way from "chalky".

I have a lot of Sailor inks & this is up there with some of the best. But as you've tried it, and don't like it, I guess your search goes on........

6. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Sammyo (December 4th, 2016)

Thanks

I had the same reaction to the regular Jentle Blue. And like you, I'm usually a huge fan of Sailor inks!
    It also didn't help that the ink smell was so strong t hat I couldn't use it. That's why I gave away my bottle of Diamine Sargasso Sea. Too inky smelling for me, and that wasn't nearly as pungent as the Jentle Blue!

I've been on the hunt for a Blue-Black that I don't hate as well.
    So far my failures have been:
    Diamine 1864 Blue-Black
    Pilot Iroshizuku Shin Kai
    de Atramentis Ferdinand von Zeppilin
    de Atramentis Giuseppe Verdi

Though there have been a few that I did like:
    Montblanc Blue Hour
    Montblanc Tolstoy (I know it's supposed to be a sky blue, but it looks blue-black to me out of a Pilot VP EF)

I'm tempted to try a few more darker blues in my EFs to see if it does the same thing as my Tolstoy.

Thanks

Noodler's '54th Massachusetts'

Thanks

I like the Lamy one, seems to do what it says on the tin.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I do not agree with you Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is IMO a great ink (one of my all time favorites) proved itˋs qualities over decades.
    Imo one of "the standard" inks.
    IMO it is not much different than Tanzanite color wise and also from its behavior.
    Tanzanite might be a little bit wetter, but beside of that......
    And of course 4001 is much cheaper or let me say it the other way around, not overpriced.

But ok opinions are different.

You could try ESS Registrars Blue-Black another all time favorite (IG) ink of mine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

titrisol (February 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jodylud View Post
    54th Mass. can be very naughty in storage. Here are 2 pics. The top swab was taken on receipt of bottle. The second taken 5 months later. As is recommended for many Noodler's inks I shook the bottle vigorously in case of settlement, but it made no difference

Lots of people love it though, despite its reputation

image.jpg

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

jodylud (December 2nd, 2016), oldstoat (January 17th, 2017)

Thanks

54th Mass. can be very naughty in storage. Here are 2 pics. The top swab was taken on receipt of bottle. The second taken 5 months later. As is recommended for many Noodler's inks I shook the bottle vigorously in case of settlement, but it made no difference

There are people who still love Noodler's BSB despite it's reputation as well!
    Noodler's is a very polarizing brand... so I'm just gonna walk away slowly now

15. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (January 13th, 2017)

Thanks

I know you said you don't like Diamine, but have you tried Diamine Registrar's Blue Black?
    Inked: Lamy 2000 Macrolon EF (MB Toffee Brown); Platinum Balance F (Platinum Blue Black); Franklin Christoph 02 Smoke & Ice - M Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Pelikan Twist Bronze (Pelikan Royal Blue). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Ein Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naimitsu View Post

Reputation is one thing, but actual experience of poor quality is another. I don't mind "quirky" but I do like my inks to stay the colour they were when I bought them!

Thanks

Reputation is one thing, but actual experience of poor quality is another. I don't mind "quirky" but I do like my inks to stay the colour they were when I bought them!
    Oh, I agree with you on that!
    Though your comparison did clear up why my 54th sample looked sad when I got around to sampling it. It did darken slightly in the pen when I let it sit for a month, but not nearly to the original color!

Thanks

Oh, I agree with you on that!
    Though your comparison did clear up why my 54th sample looked sad when I got around to sampling it. It did darken slightly in the pen when I let it sit for a month, but not nearly to the original color!
    I've experienced the same thing with 54th Mass - it was exactly how it should be when I got it but now it's a little bit washed out, and has that damn green/teal thing going that you don't like (and I don't like).

I'll say that Platinum Blue Black looks just like a plain old blue ink in a medium Platinum nib but in an extra fine it looks like a good blue black - I'm using the Platinum cartridges on those.

I love Pelikan Tanzanite but the price is a bit steep.
    Inked: Lamy 2000 Macrolon EF (MB Toffee Brown); Platinum Balance F (Platinum Blue Black); Franklin Christoph 02 Smoke & Ice - M Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Pelikan Twist Bronze (Pelikan Royal Blue). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Ein Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Thanks

what about diamine registrars ink?
    Omas lover, and have a few other pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Oddly enough, I enjoy teal blue blacks. Waterman mysterious blue, Montblanc blue hour are my favorites. I have bottle of Lamy Blue Black that I purchased a few years back before they changed the formula but it did not do it for me. What I've found is that those chalky blue blacks look nicer in a wet fine nib. Since I prefer 1.1 mm, they come out chalky.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

KKay (December 2nd, 2016), titrisol (February 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

I like Lamy's, but I use fine and medium nibs. Maybe b and bb look different.

Thanks

Try mixing Pelikan Blue-Black and Pelikan Royal Blue 1 to 1; it's a bluer blue black and isn't as grey as Pel BB.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jcgara For This Useful Post:

VegHead (December 2nd, 2016)

Thanks

I love Edelstein Tanzanite and MB JFK as well.

I think a try of Lamy's Blue/Black is worth it. I've had different performance in different pens and it may work for you.

Otherwise, perhaps an odd recommendation but......KWZ Iron Gall Turquoise. If you can wait just a while after application, I think that you may get what you want. Good flow and decent lubrication too. No issues with cleaning for me either.

Here is an excellent review of it.

http://penhabit.com/2015/11/18/ink-s...all-turquoise/
    Last edited by EHV; December 2nd, 2016 at 02:53 AM.

Thanks

[QUOTE=migo984;190485]
    I have a lot of Sailor inks & this is up there with some of the best. But as you've tried it, and don't like it, I guess your search goes on........
    Actually, and this is embarrassing. I am totally misremembering. It was Sailor blue that looked all washed out.

It turns out that, believe it or not (I have sooooo many Sailor inks). I have not actually tried their Blue Black.

So that goes on the list.

I have tried the Diamine Reg. ink. Nice ink, but the flow is the same really or less than the Platinum IG ink so that is a lateral move. I am looking for a Blue Black that is a true (subjective as that is) Blue-black-esque color but NOT IG.

So the Sailor goes to the top of the list to try next. Strong candidate indeed.

I did also try the Anniversary Blue Black. Great flow and lubrication but really this was a dark charcoal ink, way too dark for me. Much as I like those Anniversary triangles the Blue Black was given away after a few fills. If I want something that dark i go with Oxford or Take Sumi or just black.

FPN Starry night was another Blue Black that had great flow and lubrication but was just a few clicks shy on the the color wheel from being pretty much straight up black.

The reason I like Tanzanite and MB Navy Blue is that is has some blue in it.

No teals, no blacks and I am set with my IG ink (Platinum, overlooked imo) I am looking for a non IG Blue black that is genuinely bluish black.

Sailor looks like a strong candidate as does Akkerman #10 but I can't get that here.

Sorry for all the 4001 Blue Black lovers. I don't like that ink. Never have, never will. I didn't like it 30 years ago, I don't like it now. The color is okay (though not as nice as Tanzanite, which is darker and even sheens a little) but that ink just has nasty nib feel and too reluctant flow. In fact I like the Platinum as much or better than the old MB IG ink or the 4001. So if I am going IG, i'll just use that lovely ink.