Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ebonite....what exactly is it?

Thanks

Default ebonite....what exactly is it?

it seems like a porous material.....is it wood? how different is it from plastic?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: ebonite....what exactly is it?

Vulcanized Hard Rubber.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

mookie2112 (January 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

Apart from videos of cats, the internet hosts a whole world of information. Avail yourself of it. https://www.google.com/#safe=active&q=what+is+ebonite
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (June 5th, 2017), BrynRedbeard (December 31st, 2016), fountainpenkid (December 30th, 2016), Robert (December 30th, 2016)

Thanks

No it is not porous at all as it is used for eyedropper fountain pens in India especially. It has a distinctive rubbery smell like a new car tyre but I like it. It polishes up well and is light and strong.

Thanks

It should be noted that storing ebonite pens with celluloid pens is a bad idea as the aforementioned "distinctive rubbery smell " is due to natural gases being released and this will damage celluloid pens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jacoby190 For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 30th, 2016), Blue Note (December 30th, 2016), BrynRedbeard (December 31st, 2016), Marsilius (January 3rd, 2017), shiftysquirrel (January 10th, 2017), SIR (January 7th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

And since this is turning into an educational thread (which is good), I would suggest doing some good googling on hard rubber pens, as this material - "ebonite" just being another name - plays a big part in the early history of the pens, certainly up to the mid-1920's. HR, in black, red, and rippled formations, smooth and chased, is a unique material, and does (as noted previously) require certain handling, use, and storage precautions. It is a great material to have a pen made from, and feels very nice in the hand.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Dreck (December 30th, 2016), mookie2112 (January 2nd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

It's worth, I suppose, pointing out that Ebonite/Vulcanite/Black Hard Rubber is not Bakelite; many people appear to think that it is.

Probably as many as those who think that a 1930s Swan SM200/60 or an Onoto from that period is BCHR - which it isn't!

Cob

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Hawk (December 30th, 2016), Jacoby190 (December 30th, 2016), mookie2112 (January 2nd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,523 Posts

And then it begs the question, what is vulcanized? Wikipedia to the rescue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcanization

Fred

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

mookie2112 (January 2nd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby190 View Post
    It should be noted that storing ebonite pens with celluloid pens is a bad idea as the aforementioned "distinctive rubbery smell " is due to natural gases being released and this will damage celluloid pens.

Yet many celluloid pens come originally with an ebonite feed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Hawk (December 31st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    And then it begs the question, what is vulcanized? Wikipedia to the rescue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcanization

Fred
    It means: to make or become vulcan

Leonard Nimoy was vulcanized for his role in Star Trek.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Dreck (December 30th, 2016), Frank (January 1st, 2017), Jacoby190 (December 30th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (December 30th, 2016), penwash (December 31st, 2016), StrongerLove (December 31st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    And since this is turning into an educational thread (which is good), I would suggest doing some good googling on hard rubber pens, as this material - "ebonite" just being another name - plays a big part in the early history of the pens, certainly up to the mid-1920's. HR, in black, red, and rippled formations, smooth and chased, is a unique material, and does (as noted previously) require certain handling, use, and storage precautions. It is a great material to have a pen made from, and feels very nice in the hand.
    Care to enlighten me? I own a couple of Ebonite pens but am not aware of any usage handling or storage peculiarities!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

True, but it has always been my understanding that it is a best practice to store these types of pens separately even as a precaution. This article was helpful for me even though it does not answer your question fully. You make a great point. I would just rather be safe than sorry.

<http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1439925170961>

Thanks

As we are talking about ebonite, here are several personal thoughts about ebonite in comparison to plastic feeds:

Ebonite used for feeds has the excellent characteristic that it will not absorb the ink being fed to the nib. The pigments and other chemicals and elements in inks do not impact ebonite. Some plastics used for feeds are changed by some inks and their compositions. Some plastics can be softened especially by inks that are considered "bullet proof" or permanent or with high astringent values. In my younger years, I had pens with plastic feeds that were lovely writers for years and then I would try another ink and afterward they would be completely lacking. I haven't had this experience with pens with ebonite feeds.

Ebonite feeds need to be hand cut and finished while the plastic feeds are molded. Even though some of the more expensive pens (like Montblanc) are using plastic feeds in most of their lines, most of the hand crafted pens like Omas (defunct), Montegrappa and others use ebonite. The real problem that I have had with molded / plastic nibs is when they are right they are good. But many of the plastic nibs just are not good performers out of the door. Heat and cold can change them. Ebonite is stable.

Typically an ebonite feed will be tuned to the nib being place on it. Again, that is why hand crafted fountain pens are usually great performers out of the box. Not always, but in my experience they are a vast majority of the time. And also why they will maintain their excellence.

Also, plastic feeds cannot be modified. Ebonite can be sanded, cut, and routinely repaired whereas a plastic feed does not stand up to sanding and other modifications. Better to replace the plastic feed and start from scratch. Not so with the ebonite.

When possible I try to acquire pens with ebonite feeds, but plastic really doesn't put me off if I truly want a pen. The best thing is to just enjoy them, use them, and all that goes along with this great hobby.

Just a few thoughts...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

Blue Note (December 30th, 2016), BrynRedbeard (December 31st, 2016), Hawk (December 30th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

Absolutely, and the clip screws on vintage pens are usually ebonite too - the Swan Minors had ebonite filling levers - important to remember not to put a complete barrel into the ultra-sonic cleaner!

Cob
    Last edited by Cob; December 30th, 2016 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matteob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Care to enlighten me? I own a couple of Ebonite pens but am not aware of any usage handling or storage peculiarities!
    Keep them away from water and out of the light! My pens, Celluloid and Ebonite are stored together in a collection of glass jars and beakers (!); I have had no trouble.

Cob

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Hawk (December 30th, 2016)

Thanks

Thanks for this. I have a few Indian eye droppers on the way ebonite feeds. Noodlers pens are good value and have hand cut ebonite feeds too. I have a Noodler's Charlie and that is a great little writer.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

I have quite a few ebonite barrel pens and none of them emit the sulphur/rubber smell until I rub them or heat them.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I have quite a few ebonite barrel pens and none of them emit the sulphur/rubber smell until I rub them or heat them.
    I'm not totally certain of your inference, but the fact that your nose can't detect an odor does not mean that gases are not being emitted. Better safe than sorry.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

HoLmeslice (January 4th, 2017)

Thanks

Ebonite was one of the 1st commercially succesful artificial polymer; and the father of the GoodYear company!
    Many things were made with it, and while it polishes great it can also become brittle
    It was used in the 1920s, pens, bowling balls, electrical plugs; etc
    Like it was said beofre it is a very hard rubber, made by mixing sulfur in large concentration 18-45%; and it is not elastic

*** erased references to bakelite which was used extensively. Any bakelite pens?
    Last edited by titrisol; January 4th, 2017 at 01:52 PM.
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

31. The Following User Says Thank You to titrisol For This Useful Post:

BrynRedbeard (December 31st, 2016)

Thanks

I believe the old telephones were made of Bakelite.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

titrisol (January 1st, 2017)