Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning 2017 - What is your choice and why?

Thanks

Default Re: Planning 2017 - What is your choice and why?

This is my first year with the Hobonichi Techo. I plan on using it as a planner/log book. I'll still carry and use a Seven Seas Writer as my journal/notebook.

Thanks

I use a Midori MD notebook in A5 for to do lists. I love the Hobonichis but I found I didn't write every day and pages went to waste.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to da vinci For This Useful Post:

SuperNib (February 12th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by da vinci View Post
    I use a Midori MD notebook in A5 for to do lists. I love the Hobonichis but I found I didn't write every day and pages went to waste.
    That happened to me the first year I had my Hobonichi. I'm going back and filling the empty pages with drawings.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

da vinci (January 15th, 2017)

Thanks

I've been thinking more about why the Hobonichi planner works for me. I have used many diary, planning and todo list systems down the years, and there are a couple of things that make paper systems work for me.

Firstly, A6 is probably the biggest size that works. Field Notes/Moleskine size might be better, but A6 is still small enough to get taken everywhere, and that is the key. I used to use a standard-size Filofax and that was a bit too big. I've tried A5 and even A4 systems, and they got left behind far too often to be useful.

Secondly, at that size I need a whole page per day. And I need a whole page for all 7 days of the week, because I tend to have quite a lot of tasks to be done on Saturday and Sunday.

Thirdly, I don't want a really thick book. That means using multiple planner books to cover a year, or having a planner book with really thin paper such as Tomoe River.

Fourthly, I want my planner to have paper that can be used with all kinds of pen, including fountain pens. I'd probably still be using Field Notes for my planner if they'd played better with gel pens and fountain pens.

The Hobonichi manages to deliver all this. Indeed, it delivers even more features, quite a few of which I just don't use. This weekend I've browsed through the diary/planner section in a couple of stationery stores and done some online browsing looking at popular alternatives. And really there aren't very many that deliver all four requirements. If I wasn't using the Hobonichi I'd probably be using something like Curnow Backpocket Journal notebooks, writing the dates in myself, and using several during the year. For me, the only negative about the Hobonichi is the price.

Thanks

Quo vadis had a useful Minister style planner but the case broke after a month. Cheap plastic. So for the same price for a new one I opted to add $12 and get a Hobonichi in the Cousin size as it would fit an existing leather cover I have. I am annoyed it is not printed in english. The three monthly, weekly, daily views are appreciated and TR paper has given all fountain pen users the chance to use our wet pens. The paper may not work as well for pencil and ball point people...it crinkles and is so thin the erasers take their toll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by da vinci View Post
    That happened to me the first year I had my Hobonichi. I'm going back and filling the empty pages with drawings.
    I am recycling too - don't want that expensive paper going to waste.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to da vinci For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (January 8th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I get mine through Nanami paper but I have also seen 100 loose sheets on Amazon.

Here's a link to Nanami Paper: http://www.nanamipaper.com/categorie...ver-paper.html
    The source I've been using is Paper For Fountain Pens. They have a very nice selection of TR paper products, my favorite being 3 100-sheet pads for $19.50. They have some very nice journals as well, and the pricing and service have been pleasant.

In other news, 2016 showed me the utter folly of even remotely planning a year. I won't be wasting any precious moments in that activity again...
    I totally agree. I use the cream colored correspondence pads for letters but HOBONICHI is a lock for my planner.

Thanks

I am quite happy with the Filofax planner I have had since 1990. I has served me well.

Thanks

I picked up a Quo Vadis Tri-Note and am enjoying it so far, it comes with 90 gm2 paper.

Thanks

Bullet Journal in Field Notes - I don't use FP for planning, pencil only.

Thanks

I use a bullet journal. Previously I've used Clairefontaine notebooks, but I recently started a Nanami Tomoe River notebook. Love the paper, but inks take a long time to dry. I found Leuchturm notebooks unsatisfactory due to bleedthrough and ghosting.

FrozenPen

After years of Franklins and Daytimers of all sizes I'm working a Modified Bullet Journal.
    Apica CD Premium notebook in B5 size / gridded (5mm section) contained within Kokuyo Systemic notebook cover (has pockets and ribbon eyelets) along with Kokuyo Campus MIO notebook (long term reference pages meant to bridge the annual journal replacement).
    Daily meeting / calendaring is handled by Outlook.
    Why: no wasted paper; better paper than any pre-printed paper I used (last one was a Rhodia planner), able to adapt to changing needs, supports my 'one notebook to rule them all' concept (expect for a daily carry Field Notes notebook).

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

I use all the really good paper for real writing. For my planner I use Apica inserts for the most part but the planner I have an annual planner I bought from someone on Etsy because I wanted to support small business.

Thanks

For the price and flexibility, I use the Leuchtturm 1917. I'm sure it's not as smooth as the Tomoe paper, but when I looked into the Hobonichi planners the cost was not appealing. I also like being able to see an overview of my week, but still have a little room to write (I use this mostly as a running todo list since my schedule one varies in the evening). I feel the 1917 lets me set things up the way I want (I use a four page week with the top edge cut off for a weekly overview) as well as add in anything more. I put in my weekly "todos", but I also have pages for my class lesson plans, general planning, special contacts for my summer work, etc. I use Post-it flags to quickly jump around to specific sections (the index doesn't work for me).

I may try out some of the other blank dot journals you all have provided links to. But, right now, I like the flexibility of a dateless page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I like the stalogy 365, but wish the paper wouldn't feather as easily or be as sensitive to skin oils. Also wish the printing was a bit darker.
    Omas lover, and have a few other pens

Thanks

I was a devoted Franklin user for years. But it was overkill when I retired, so I tried a few other journals that didn't work for me either. For 2017, I bought a Tools 4 Wisdom planner, after watching tons of videos on YouTube. I have the larger, hardbound one. It stays at home, so the size doesn't bother me. I like the way that it focuses on goals, without making me write a mission statement. Each day has a to do list in priority order. There is lots of room for notes and brief journaling. So far, it's worked well for me.

Thanks

I'm currently using a combination of a Hobonichi Techo (as a general log book for everything) and a Dodo Acad-Pad for university planning. The Acad-Pad is in A5 Filofax size so I can fit it in with my lecture notes so it's always right where I need it. Once I graduate, though, I don't know what I'll be switching to. I'm also waiting on a weekly planner (week on one approximately A5 page) from Evil Supply Co. to act as a log book for my writing projects - I have been using undated Webster's Pages weekly planner pages, but the week on two pages spread wastes more space than I had expected it to. I go through cycles of forgetting to fill in my Techo, so this is why I need the other two planners as backup.