Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grail Pens

Thanks

Default Grail Pens

I am fairly new to this forum and I did a brief search to see if this topic had been covered but did not see the topic come up as a subject. If I missed it I apologize in advance. I am fairly new in the collecting world and have found that I find the searching to be one of the most gratifying part of this fountain pen collecting bug that I have caught. I really get a rush when I find a neat vintage pen in the "wild" such as estate sales and garage sales or even antique stores. But I was curious to see what pens knowledgeable people were interested in. I know there are probably two camps. One which prefers vintage pens and others who prefer the modern made pens. I found a pen recently that I knew nothing about but discovered it is was the grail pen of several collectors. Had I not shown it to some at a pen show I would not have known it's history or value or even heard the term "grail pen". I bought it because it was "cool looking" and "cheaper than dirt". So maybe you would consider putting your top five of each category? I would love to see what people are interested in. Maybe even put in a why it is a grail pen. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default Re: Grail Pens

I'm in the camp that thinks the distinction made between vintage and modern pens is overwrought and often unnecessary limiting. A good pen is a good pen, and, in my subjective view, a disproportionate amount of good pens happen to be older ones. Some, like the Parker "51", have been grandfathered into the semblance of community consensus that exists on reasonable "daily carry pens," but for the most part, great older pens meeting the preferences of the user are ignored in recommendation threads. On the subject of 'grail pens', there are many interesting and different opinions and problematizations: some hold steadfast to what truth they see in it, others think the concept is silly, and others still (and these people are most interesting) think the concept should be entirely theoretical--that a 'grail' is a pen whose enjoyment is most powerful when it remains solely in the mind, whose power would be diminished were you actually to get one. For me, the normal sense of the concept is somewhat compelling, actually.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; February 8th, 2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: bad preposition
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I'm in the camp that thinks the distinction made between vintage and modern pens is overwrought and often unnecessary limiting. A good pen is a good pen, and, in my subjective view, a disproportionate amount of good pens happen to be older ones. Some, like the Parker "51", have been grandfathered into the semblance of community consensus that exists on reasonable "daily carry pens," but for the most part, great older pens meeting the preferences of the user are ignored in recommendation threads. On the subject of 'grail pens', there are many interesting and different opinions and problematizations: some hold steadfast to what truth they see in it, others think the concept is silly, and others still (and these people are most interesting) think the concept should be entirely theoretical--that a 'grail' is a pen whose enjoyment is most powerful when it remains solely in the mind, whose power would be diminished were you actually to get one. For me, the normal sense of the concept is somewhat compelling, actually.
    A very interesting perspective. I am wondering if I may fall into that camp that the power is in the mind. I know in other things in life I have been somewhat disappointed once something I sought forever is obtained. As I mentioned I think I get the greatest feeling of satisfaction when I find something unexpected or a great bargain. So maybe my grail would be when that occurs. I do love some 51's I have though. In fact I am writing with one today.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to roguez For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 8th, 2017)

Thanks

A Montblanc Cervantes Writers Edition that someone gives me for free. How's that?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WmEdwards For This Useful Post:

roguez (February 9th, 2017)

Thanks

As the term 'grail pen' comes from 'the holy grail' to me it must be a pen either you can not find, can not afford, or both. As soon as you are in a position to purchase it or do buy it, then by definition it is no longer a grail.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dapprman For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (March 7th, 2017), datainadequate (February 8th, 2017), fountainpenkid (February 9th, 2017), Hawk (February 8th, 2017), Jon Szanto (February 9th, 2017), RNHC (February 21st, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (February 9th, 2017), Vanb (February 13th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,439 Times in 2,523 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roguez View Post
    I found a pen recently that I knew nothing about but discovered it is was the grail pen of several collectors.
    Did you forget to type the name of this pen?

Fred

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 8th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post
    As the term 'grail pen' comes from 'the holy grail' to me it must be a pen either you can not find, can not afford, or both. As soon as you are in a position to purchase it or do buy it, then by definition it is no longer a grail.
    That is what the English knight said but I told him we already have one.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

dapprman (February 9th, 2017), Dreck (February 8th, 2017), Jon Szanto (February 9th, 2017), Lloyd (February 9th, 2017), roguez (February 9th, 2017)

Thanks

I had one that I thought I would never get. When I finally bought one, I didn't feel that way about any other pen.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There was a thread, I believe it was on this form, where people posted their best and worst pens. Most of the pens mentioned where pens of reputable companies and often well spoken if themselves. Everyone is, of course, different, but I wonder if these acclaimed pens which fell short in the eyes of the owner don't qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Vespagirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My other writing instrument is a pencil.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RuiFromUK View Post
    Wow! Look at the case it comes in!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roguez View Post
    I found a pen recently that I knew nothing about but discovered it is was the grail pen of several collectors.
    Did you forget to type the name of this pen?

Fred
    I did. I apologize. It was a Waterman's Ideal 56 in Cardinal Red with a very nice flexible nib. It was another estate sale find that came in a grab bag of old fountain pens. I was not familiar with it at all prior to finding it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to roguez For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WmEdwards View Post
    A Montblanc Cervantes Writers Edition that someone gives me for free. How's that?
    For free is the best part!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to roguez For This Useful Post:

WmEdwards (February 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Vintage: Lamy 2000 first year of production, with papers and all; Lamy Unic, black with 14 k nib; Lamy Persona titanium; Lamy 27 in mint condition; Aurora "Hastil", black.
    New: (can't afford these, even though they are not rare): Sailor KOP Urushi vermillion; Sailor Pro Gear KOP; Lamy "Imporium" black/gold; Franklin-Christoph p66 with custom urushi coating; Namiki Yukari Royal vermillion urushi.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Conway Stewart Winston and a Visconti London fog. But in truth I doubt any could quench the thirst.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,439 Times in 2,523 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Vintage: Lamy 2000 first year of production, with papers and all; Lamy Unic, black with 14 k nib; Lamy Persona titanium; Lamy 27 in mint condition....
    Did you see the solid 14-carat gold vintage Lamy that Christof is selling in the classifieds? It's a bargain.

Fred

27. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

inklord (February 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Grail Pens

After getting a little pen drunk with my purchases in the last few months I've been trying just to enjoy the ones I have in my collection which is plenty for a while. However, my eyes are always on the glitzy ones and those that carry certain prestige. If I had to say, a pen (or two), that I would like to have are the Pelikan Maki-e spring and autumn limited editions. The retail on them is about $4500 each

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacoby190 For This Useful Post:

roguez (February 13th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

I really want a Sailor Black Velvet. It's a newer model, but by the time I snag one, it may be vintage....

Oh. And this Danitrio:

Last edited by VertOlive; February 9th, 2017 at 05:33 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

When I was very new (I'm still relatively new) I found grail pen and GOAT discussions to be very helpful in understanding which pens were generally seen as being of exceptional quality. It helped me in getting a broad overview of what was out there and gave me some specific models to be on the lookout for.

My vintage five: Montblanc 139, Waterman 458, Waterman 7 Toledo, Waterman Patrician Turquoise, Soennecken 222 Extra Red Lizard

My modern five: Montblanc Cristobal Colon, Astoria Goliath Toledo, Montblanc Carnegie, Conway Stewart Simpole, Graf von Faber Castell Pen of the Year Amber

These are basically all limited edition or very low production pens. I think the cheapest goes for around $800, the most expensive $50,000. It's pretty unlikely that I will ever even see some of them, like the Toledo 7.

My lists are also very different today from what they would have been a year ago and have nearly zero overlap with what I wanted when I first started buying higher end fountain pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

I have some idle daydream pens, ones that I think would be very nice to own, but will probably never buy because I would feel ridiculous paying that much for a single pen. They aren't grail pens, because if they were, I would pay the prices that they go for. So I won't name them.

There are some that I haven't yet talked myself into, and may never do so. Before Nakaya prices went up last year, I spent some time considering one of their least expensive briarwood models. The nib, tuned by an expert, would have been the main selling point. In the end, I decided that I didn't really want it that badly. So not a grail pen.

There are other pens that are on my maybe list, but I could buy any of the modern ones right now if I wanted, and if I never find the vintage ones, no big deal. So not grails.

The one thing that I really want to find, I won't know until I find it, a vintage nib on any one of a number of pens that has that fabled wet noodle flex. I have some fairly flexy nibs, but this would be a step up from any I have now. And when I found it, I might discover that it was not really for me. So be careful what you wish for. It might just be a grail shaped beacon.

(Following video might be mildly NSFW)

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

roguez (February 13th, 2017)