Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to use Instagram to host your forum photos

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default How to use Instagram to host your forum photos

Let me start this by saying that I know other services provide easier methods of sharing your photos but I mainly use Instagram although I do have Flickr, Photobucket, and Google Photos accounts. If you have Flickr or Photobucket, it's probably easier to use the sharing features built into those services. Gogle Photos does not give you a sharable link that is usable on forums. This method is easier to do on a full desktop browser and that is what I am showing you here.

Instagrams sharing links do not contain the actual .jpg extension URL we need in order to post to a forum like this. I use this method here and on FPN with no issues. For this tut, I am using the Chrome browser but it should be a similar process in other browsers. I am also in Windows 10. I am hosting these images on Flickr because I have more privacy control. Something you will need to consider is that if you want a private instagram account, this method of sharing might not work. Flickr allows you to control privacy on a per image basis. Instagram is all or nothing.

First, you will need to have to be logged into your Instagram account. Here we are at my Instagram page:

2017-02-16 by Ivan Romero, on Flickr

Then you need to click on the picture you want to share. It will enlarge the image.

2017-02-16 (1) by Ivan Romero, on Flickr

Now you need to left click the image, a menu will pop up.

2017-02-16 (2) by Ivan Romero, on Flickr

Click on "View page source"

2017-02-16 (2) by Ivan Romero, on Flickr

A second tab will open with a lot of code. Don't worry, we just need one line of it. The address that keeps your photo.

2017-02-16 (3) by Ivan Romero, on Flickr

You will now need to hold down the "CTRL" key and the letter "F", that will pop up Chrome's "Find" on this page feature at the top right of the page. You will type "JPG" in that search box

2017-02-16 (4) by Ivan Romero, on Flickr

It will highlight "JPG" in orange. That is the line we need to post our photos in forums. Look to the beginning of the line for the "https" and copy the line all the way to the highlighted jpg.

2017-02-16 (6) by Ivan Romero, on Flickr

Now, in the forum, open your reply or new post window and keep in mind that wherever your cursor is, that is where the picture will be placed. Click on the insert image icon

2017-02-16 (7) by Ivan Romero, on Flickr

A box will pop up asking for the URL of your image. That is what we copied already. Just place your cursor in the tect box and past it in. Then click okay.

2017-02-16 (8) by Ivan Romero, on Flickr

You can keep repeating the process with other images until you have linked all your photos. Just remember that wherever your cursor is when you click the "insert image" icon is where your new image will appaer. I try to break up images with a line of space by hiting the enter key twice after each code entry. Hope this helps someone.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 17th, 2017), da vinci (February 17th, 2017), notsim (February 17th, 2017), sgtstretch (February 17th, 2017), writingrav (February 17th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: How to use Instagram to host your forum photos

I usually go to the resources tab in chrome and copy the url for the image
    Omas lover, and have a few other pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by notsim View Post
    I have not seen the resources tab in over a year. What Chrome version are you running?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I have not seen the resources tab in over a year. What Chrome version are you running?

if you click on inspect then application, scroll down to the frame and expand the images you can copy the url

Last edited by notsim; February 17th, 2017 at 08:35 AM.
    Omas lover, and have a few other pens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to notsim For This Useful Post:

penwash (February 17th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

In Firefox, right click on the image, select Inspect, then expand the <div> above where the inspect landed you at. Then when you find the link, just right-click and select "Copy Link Address"

That's one quick way to get to the JPG url.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

if you click on inspect then application, scroll down to the frame and expand the images you can copy the url

I don't like this method, it shows too many images and you have to scroll through to the exact image you need while I can just find it by searhing the jpg extension in the source code tab. Still it is another way of doing it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    In Firefox, right click on the image, select Inspect, then expand the <div> above where the inspect landed you at. Then when you find the link, just right-click and select "Copy Link Address"

That's one quick way to get to the JPG url.
    This is how it used to work in Chrome but something happened about a year ago, either Chrome changed or Instagram changed when Facebook took over. Now, when you copy the link address in Chrome, it gives you a link something like Google Photos does. It is not a usable link for forum posts. You can use the link in your posts but it will just open the image in a new tab. I just prefer to inline the images in my posts.

For what its worth, the link also helps to upload images to Wordpress but I still like Flickr for hosting on my blog. Uploading uses space on my Wordpress account while inlining them from Flickr saves my Wordpress allotment.

Thanks

This is how it used to work in Chrome but something happened about a year ago, either Chrome changed or Instagram changed when Facebook took over. Now, when you copy the link address in Chrome, it gives you a link something like Google Photos does. It is not a usable link for forum posts. You can use the link in your posts but it will just open the image in a new tab. I just prefer to inline the images in my posts.
    No, the method I gave above will give you an image that can be displayed inline. Here's the proof:

- Will

11. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (February 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Wow, thank you guys for this thread, for your advices and tips. I'm new here, so it was very interesting to read your guide. I thought that you can't share photos directly from Instagram at all. This can also work as a promotion method, because when you share photos, people will follow your account on IG and your ER, Instagram views will increase. I'll definitely try adding a new thread with photos and Instagram accounts, if it's not forbidden.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

No, the method I gave above will give you an image that can be displayed inline. Here's the proof:

Hm. I see a broken image in Tapatalk and a blank on my browser (both mobile).

Screenshots:

Last edited by azkid; July 31st, 2020 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    This thread was originally posted over 3 years ago so maybe things changed since then?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

penwash (July 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post

Screenshots:

That method seems to no longer works. And I don't have the time to see if there's another way to do this, and now facebook owns Instagram, so who knows what they do to allow/disallow this.
    - Will

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

All of these services try to protect “their” images especially if they are not getting paid for hosting the content by the creator.
    They want the traffic on their platforms (increasing the popularity of it, growth, make them attractive for advertisers and get paid for onsite ads and/or dealing with the users personal info/profile/content).
    Therefore every external usage using their servers and infrastructure only for image hosting purposes for other services (where they have only costs but no benefit at all) is usually unwanted and they try to prohibit, restrict, prevent this parasitic use with more and more advanced methods.

Trying to find holes in their “defense” is getting more and more difficult, normally itˋs not just copying an image link anymore.
    E.g. often temporary session links are used which expire soon to protect and cloak the real sources.
    The crucial point is to find a link which stays valid at least for a longer period of time, and even then here is no guarantee that it stay valid.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

hmmmm.

Thanks

Yeah, Instagram broke this method a few months ago. It's partly why you can't inline your Instagram photo's on Twitter anymore. It just shows links. You can still copy the share link and post it but it does not have the same effect. From what I can tell, it looks like they encrypted the URL.

Thanks

On another note. I just tested notsim's method earlier in this thread and it still works.

Thanks

I'm not sure if you've gone through your images yet

not a Flickr member from seeing your photos, if you allow it, which you do.

The point is to be able to control who can see your posts on Flickr

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Helenawe For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (October 24th, 2020)

Thanks

I think it's a really nice solution. I've tried it when had some problems with posting pics when i created my instagram acc for the first time. I didn't have much popularity i only had a few followers. I'm an art designer, i make logos and animated arts and post them. That's why i used different kinds of filters for my pics but then i started to search for other ways to increase my popularity. I searched for buying instagram likes and followers and it really helped me. I had thousands of followers and likes under my posts and positive appreciation. I become popular on instagram and i'm really happy for it.
    Last edited by powell1; November 2nd, 2020 at 04:10 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to powell1 For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (October 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Helenawe View Post
    I'm not sure if you've gone through your images yet

not a Flickr member from seeing your photos, if you allow it, which you do.

The point is to be able to control who can see your posts on Flickr
    If it was directed at me, yes, my Flickr is public. You can make it private and still post a private picture publicly. It warns you when you are about to share a private picture when you try to get the URL to share.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; October 24th, 2020 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks

I know this is not to the theme. However, if there are many active people on social media, where do you edit your photos and create those beautiful Insta stories?