Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What is up with FPN?

jor412

Default Re: What is up with FPN?

To me, FPN is a free service. I'm grateful for that service; and to some degree, since it's free, I have to accept the service as it's offered, unless I'm wiling to pay for the extras. I can see where the policies inadvertently ran over other people. That does suck. I wish everyone well just the same. We have options

Thanks

Based on external observation of the generated content and traffic, I’m not really surprised that FPN is slow. However, there seem to be some obvious improvements that could be implemented at zero cost.

• The amount –about 30%- of inline CSS in each and every single page is simply nauseating. Moving it to an separate, cached, file should significantly reduce server load.
    • Expires headers could be added on static content to allow client side caching. Although FPN uses ETags, thus making cache validation possible, this still generates many, albeit small, requests per page.
    • Javascript files can be consolidated, minified and gzipped. At least they're not all inline as well.
    • Apache is apparently used to serve everything. An efficient reverse proxy server could be installed to cache static content on the server and reduce load on the main http server.
    • Completely replacing Apache with Nginx could significantly reduce load on the server and improve performance. This is possibly non-trivial since Invision considers Apache to be the bee's knees.
    • In light of the above, it might be worthwhile to profile the database as well. Poorly constructed or missing indexes can reduce performance by several orders of magnitude.

I find it surprising that FPN has chosen to spend a significant amount of money on hardware and bandwidth without considering the efficiency of the current configuration. Note that it almost certainly has to be hardware and bandwidth since the software is either free (Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL) or low cost (IP.Board). The classifieds seem to be a custom development, but should not cost an arm and a leg.

A small detail escaped those on FPN and here, but Hugh on FPB astutely noticed that FPN has been incorporated in the Netherlands. This certainly suggest that Wim has partial or total ownership of FPN.
    There is indeed a Dutch company called "Fountain Pen Network B.V.". Publicly available information (essentially name and address) can be viewed here. The FPN MD also has a Linkedin profile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PSmith View Post
    Based on external observation of the generated content and traffic, I’m not really surprised that FPN is slow. However, there seem to be some obvious improvements that could be implemented at zero cost.

• The amount –about 30%- of inline CSS in each and every single page is simply nauseating. Moving it to an separate, cached, file should significantly reduce server load.
    • Expires headers could be added on static content to allow client side caching. Although FPN uses ETags, thus making cache validation possible, this still generates many, albeit small, requests per page.
    • Javascript files can be consolidated, minified and gzipped. At least they're not all inline as well.
    • Apache is apparently used to serve everything. An efficient reverse proxy server could be installed to cache static content on the server and reduce load on the main http server.
    • Completely replacing Apache with Nginx could significantly reduce load on the server and improve performance. This is possibly non-trivial since Invision considers Apache to be the bee's knees.
    • In light of the above, it might be worthwhile to profile the database as well. Poorly constructed or missing indexes can reduce performance by several orders of magnitude.

I find it surprising that FPN has chosen to spend a significant amount of money on hardware and bandwidth without considering the efficiency of the current configuration. Note that it almost certainly has to be hardware and bandwidth since the software is either free (Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL) or low cost (IP.Board). The classifieds seem to be a custom development, but should not cost an arm and a leg.
    It has been pointed out to them. Here. They seem to not have the knowledge to know how to fix it or ask for help, or don't care.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PSmith View Post

Many of these ideas have been brought forth in the past by FPN members. Several FPN members who do IT for a living have offered their services for free in the past. In all cases that I know of, their offer was essentially ignored.

There are other mysteries about the way FPN is run from the IT side. A few years ago there were reports they had obtained their own server. So this current switch seems odd.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Well. I'm glad the incident helped me find FPGeeks. It's pretty nice here.

Thanks

I'm with you, jbb! I just signed up here, too.

Thanks

Not only love jbb's listings, but when her items arrive at your doorstep, it's like getting a birthday present, they are so beautifully packaged and wrapped inside. Glad to have found you here, jbb!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Who actually OWNS FPN, or is that a secret?
    On that note too ... who owns fpgeeks ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lowks View Post
    On that note too ... who owns fpgeeks ?
    Eric & Dan ?
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kudzu View Post
    Not only love jbb's listings, but when her items arrive at your doorstep, it's like getting a birthday present, they are so beautifully packaged and wrapped inside. Glad to have found you here, jbb!
    I can attest to that!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I can attest to that!
    Me, too! I'm always calling jbb "my fairy godmother" (from Penn Valley, no less!) because the stuff she sells works so well for me! Every pen freak should have a PEN Valley Fairy Godmother!

Thanks

I'm another guy who came over from the FPN. I really liked that place and posted somewhat regularly, but apparently they didn't like my opinions or suggestions. My posting privileges were removed several days ago after an administrator specifically asked for my personal answer to his question about the new rules. I typed up a lengthy 2 page long post and sent it. No personal attacks, no name calling, and nothing that could even be considered breaking the rules. Just legitimate suggestions and recommendations from someone who has a great deal of understanding about how to run a small business.

They're kicking out people like me who don't want to pay the fee. I suggested that they offer a ~$30 membership for private collectors who sell a fair amount of pens like I do, but that was quickly ignored. I was labelled a "High Volume" trader for the two classifieds listings I had made in 2013.

I mentioned this over there, but it feels an awful lot like that guy who just lost his job and is now hitting up all his friends for money. When you don't pay, you're no longer considered a friend.

I feel that this is the beginning of the end for the Fountain Pen...uh...Country Club

Thanks

I hadn't been on FPN for ages and got quite a shock when I logged in at the weekend. I haven't looked too closely at the changes but my initial reaction was that I'm not sure if I'll be logging on much anymore which is a shame as there were some great people who were very generous with their time and knowledge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
    I'm another guy who came over from the FPN. I really liked that place and posted somewhat regularly, but apparently they didn't like my opinions or suggestions. My posting privileges were removed several days ago after an administrator specifically asked for my personal answer to his question about the new rules. I typed up a lengthy 2 page long post and sent it. No personal attacks, no name calling, and nothing that could even be considered breaking the rules. Just legitimate suggestions and recommendations from someone who has a great deal of understanding about how to run a small business.

They're kicking out people like me who don't want to pay the fee. I suggested that they offer a ~$30 membership for private collectors who sell a fair amount of pens like I do, but that was quickly ignored. I was labelled a "High Volume" trader for the two classifieds listings I had made in 2013.

I mentioned this over there, but it feels an awful lot like that guy who just lost his job and is now hitting up all his friends for money. When you don't pay, you're no longer considered a friend.

I feel that this is the beginning of the end for the Fountain Pen...uh...Country Club
    I wouldn't give them one penny after this debacle.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Eep! So before I was just on probation, my posts had vanished and all my posts had to be approved by a mod. I guess coming here moved me into the other category. I now can't even access the forum. The really annoying thing? I can't access my profile other than to log in and so I can't DELETE my profile either.

Do I get a medal? First time I've ever been banned from ANYWHERE. This lawful good cleric is sorta feeling all roguish right now! (And my geek is showing, sorry!)
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Unheard of, even in my worst wild-westish, bare-knuckles-bench-clearin' brawls forums.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Do I get a medal? First time I've ever been banned from ANYWHERE. This lawful good cleric is sorta feeling all roguish right now! (And my geek is showing, sorry!)
    I'm pretty sure this is the point where we take you out drinking and then you show back up in black leather & stilettos sporting a Snorkel with long-range ink capacity.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Eep! So before I was just on probation, my posts had vanished and all my posts had to be approved by a mod. I guess coming here moved me into the other category. I now can't even access the forum. The really annoying thing? I can't access my profile other than to log in and so I can't DELETE my profile either.

My friend, I was pretty sure I had it in the back of my mind that you were involved with the clergy in some way. Even setting that aside, I'm more familiar with your posting style and content than the other people (who are also probably all good people as well), and I just can't even believe it. I've been very close to just blowing up and getting banned myself, but it is just ABSURD and disgusting they way they have treated you and a number of others.

And we all know, there isn't much that can be done. I am, however - unless you feel I should not - make some people aware of this post I am replying to. As many people need to realize what has gone down, the entirely capricious nature of their actions, and how unfair, unfortunate, and completely anti-social the behavior is.

I wish you the best, and having someone like you around here makes me more interested in getting more involved in the FPG forums.

But more on that later...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is the point where we take you out drinking and then you show back up in black leather & stilettos sporting a Snorkel with long-range ink capacity.
    BWHAHAHAH! The Snorkel is the perfect touch! :P
    ---

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    My friend, I was pretty sure I had it in the back of my mind that you were involved with the clergy in some way. Even setting that aside, I'm more familiar with your posting style and content than the other people (who are also probably all good people as well), and I just can't even believe it. I've been very close to just blowing up and getting banned myself, but it is just ABSURD and disgusting they way they have treated you and a number of others.

And we all know, there isn't much that can be done. I am, however - unless you feel I should not - make some people aware of this post I am replying to. As many people need to realize what has gone down, the entirely capricious nature of their actions, and how unfair, unfortunate, and completely anti-social the behavior is.

I wish you the best, and having someone like you around here makes me more interested in getting more involved in the FPG forums.

But more on that later...
    Jon I appreciate your kind words! But I wouldn't want anyone else to get into a hassle on my account. I said my piece, it wasn't well received, I ended up elsewhere. Since FPN has an owner that person can do what he choses with his forum. I was rather under the impression that it was a club with distributed membership and control and on that I was obviously wrong. There are other places to play and lots of familiar faces around so I'm pretty content here and on the fountain pen board.

I've got a friend getting started in fountain pens and having some issues. I sent her off a Lamy (not my pearl, already getting attached to my pretty pearl...) and a bottle of ink and a link here. So let's just be a great helpful place to learn when she shows up!
    ---