Quote Originally Posted by Ashbridg View Post
Wim,

If you're still here, you deserve credit for posting to a thread that is harshly critical of FPN. Your willingness to reconsider the bans imposed on some users shows character. Would you consider a general amnesty for those who are banned, including Hugh and David (who apparently banned themselves in a sort of "you're fired / I quit" exchange)? I know not everyone would accept an amnesty offer, but that's not the point. Such a gesture would go a long way toward setting things right.

I have struggled with the idea of removing my photos from all FPN threads, which would be easy because I self-host the pics on my own server. Many of my photos show the steps I took in repairing pens, particularly Vac-Fils and Snorkels. And luminaries such as Binder, Zorn, and Nishimura weighed in with advice and criticism.

This poses a dilemma for me because I want to show solidarity with my banned buddies, but removing photos that will render these repair discussions useless is an extreme action. Harming people to make a point is a bad idea in this case. Thus I have decided the photos will remain. But it was a tough call. Now it's your turn.

Sincerely,
AshBridg
Hi,

Your post shows courtesy and decency. Good things no doubt.

But, Wim had no choice but to post, no more choice than a moth has when flying to the flame. Wim's wishes regarding me are irrelevant, and perhaps so too for Hugh, though I would not presume to speak for Hugh.

I was an active member at FPN when I made my stab at showing FPN the error of its ways. The firmly applied internet (metaphorical) smack in the chops I know-- based on inside info-- caused great consternation, as it was meant to do. In fact, you should know that self-hosted photos offer greater possibilities than simple removal.

Ron Zorn is an old friend. I have about zero skills as a pen restorer (which is why in real life I am an Internist not a Surgeon), but I have the honor to be both the first person besides Ron to have a pen restored by Ron and to be the fellow who suggested to him 10 years ago, over dinner at his house, that he might consider fixing pens for other folks and might consider setting up shop at a pen show. Who knew...??? Time flies. Now my pen bud is arestorer of world renown. I've had the pleasure to see his skill set skyrocket due to his inventiveness and skill.

That you worry about the things you worry about returns me to my core points, that FPN is not a fun place and that pen boards are supposed to be for our fun. Your repair work easily could be featured on other boards such as FPG or my own FPB. It would be welcomed. Yeah, our member volume isn't quite FPN's, but I also note that one often has chance to make greater impact in start up companies than in the big monopoly

Obviously, do what works for you. I'm sure though your work will meet appreciation wherever you choose to offer it.

regards

david