Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1087

Thread: What is up with FPN?

Senior Member Penne Stilografiche's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: What is up with FPN?

not so private private messages.... Although this is probably not "news" to most people, it is interesting to see the way Wim explains how private private messages really are.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo.../#entry2837537

Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 1,774 Posts

A little odd, as is this.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

jbb (November 30th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,714 Times in 1,610 Posts

I don't understand where there is any problem, just ignorance about computer basics from some members.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

It's an open channel, there is no https in front of any URL on FPN so everything is wide open. Yes, even your password. Don't use any mission critical passwords in any forum and don't duplicate passwords across accounts.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (November 30th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by collectiblepens.com View Post
    not so private private messages.... Although this is probably not "news" to most people, it is interesting to see the way Wim explains how private private messages really are.

Yeah, that thread's been deleted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post

Crap! No, seriously, that thread was all about a complaint from a user (not surprisingly a fellow Aussie) about censorship of that word's usage in PM. Yet someone could get away with this http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...s-in-malaysia/ in public.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Rex For This Useful Post:

auto winder (December 1st, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post

How come I can still view it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rex View Post
    Crap! No, seriously, that thread was all about a complaint from a user (not surprisingly a fellow Aussie) about censorship of that word's usage in PM. Yet someone could get away with this http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...s-in-malaysia/ in public.
    LOL. That was indeed an unfortunate choice of words.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (November 30th, 2013)

Thanks

I have to admit to laughing my backside off when reading that!

Wanted: Clever signature
    Apply in person....

Thanks
    Thanked 11,114 Times in 4,028 Posts

Sometimes they go with the flow.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Anyone who imagines that any message, private or public, cannot be read by the owner of the forum is kidding themselves if nobody else.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I don't understand where there is any problem, just ignorance about computer basics from some members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Anyone who imagines that any message, private or public, cannot be read by the owner of the forum is kidding themselves if nobody else.
    Before jumping to hasty conclusions, i am aware that the content can be viewed by the board admin of any forum.

My question is more like why mods have the access to do so. Not questioning the intentions or activities of the mods (most of whom i interacted with are very nice folks) but the need for the access rights.

Wim's answer is pointing to the current situation, where only he has the rights. What about earlier?

It is a general question about the policy and not about the content security.

Thank you very much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mesu View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Before jumping to hasty conclusions, i am aware that the content can be viewed by the board admin of any forum.

My question is more like why mods have the access to do so. Not questioning the intentions or activities of the mods (most of whom i interacted with are very nice folks) but the need for the access rights.

Wim's answer is pointing to the current situation, where only he has the rights. What about earlier?

It is a general question about the policy and not about the content security.

Thank you very much.
    I still don't see what the issue is. So what if Mods have read permission on PMs? And what makes you think they did have such permission?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Sometimes they go with the flow.
    Now, that was very dry.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 1st, 2013)

Thanks

Maybe if they just named the convention "Open Messages", instead of "Private Messages", it would help. Words still have meanings.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Maybe if they just named the convention "Open Messages", instead of "Private Messages", it would help. Words still have meanings.
    Well they are not "open" and private and secret are not synonyms.

Thanks

I didn't imply "secret", but since you are semanticizing, please be so good as to give your definition of "private" in this instance.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I didn't imply "secret", but since you are semanticizing, please be so good as to give your definition of "private" in this instance.
    Simple colloquial convention; as a way to differentiate between a public message (a post in a thread) and one directed to one or more members of a smaller subset of the total membership.

It certainly does not mean the message is not subject to being read by others or as in this case, parsed by a filter.

The thing to remember is that there is no complete privacy in today's communications network whether phone, internet, email or SMS.

Thanks

Simple colloquial convention; as a way to differentiate between a public message (a post in a thread) and one directed to one or more members of a smaller subset of the total membership.
    Ah, yes, we are in complete concert then.

This was my consideration, as well. The thing is, since we acknowledge that nothing in current electronic communications is completely private (save for, maybe, encrypted emails and the like), one would think it not beyond good manners for those who administer an otherwise public forum to carefully indicate who, and under what circumstances, can view your 'private' messages.

They have made some stab at this over there. I left for other reasons, but none of this is in any way a surprise.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

It certainly does not mean the message is not subject to being read by others or as in this case, parsed by a filter.

The thing to remember is that there is no complete privacy in today's communications network whether phone, internet, email or SMS.
    Actually, to me, "private" does mean that the message will not be read by anyone other than the addressee. An automatic "bad words" filter is fine. And I don't worry about the administrator being able to read private messages under extraordinary circumstances. However, I would find it extremely distasteful, overreaching and potentially dangerous, if anyone who was named a moderator could do so on an ongoing basis.

There is a distinction between computerized scanning by internet companies like Google, which like the "bad words" filter is automated and impersonal, and the possibility that actual human beings would be able to snoop on you by reading your private messages.

And the "no privacy in communication" thing is a red herring. We are not talking about governmental action here. It's a fountain pen forum, for goodness sakes. What they can do, technically, should be constrained by decency and necessity. And I hope it is. No matter what, they should clearly disclose just who can read members' private messages. To me, that's unclear right now.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (December 24th, 2013), ever onward (January 4th, 2014), fountainpenkid (December 4th, 2013), Jon Szanto (December 1st, 2013), Mesu (December 1st, 2013), reprieve (December 2nd, 2013), Roefisher (December 4th, 2013)

Thanks

Thank you, Laura. As you say, above and beyond anything else this is an issue of trust, within a small community gathered together (ostensibly) for good-natured sharing of interests. It is this precise lack of trust that caused me to wander away, and that is a shame.

~ Benjamin Franklin

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 4th, 2013)