Thread: What pen would I like?

Thanks

Default What pen would I like?

Hey, I've been lurking in this site for a while and finally decided to take the plunge...

Years ago I avidly kept sketchbooks, and fell out of the habit for a long time. I had gone through some cheap-and-adequate Rotring disposable fountain pens (they were the best I could afford) before developing a taste for Japanese ultra-fine ball pens (Current daily writer: Uni-Ball Signo DX 0.38mm, in case you wondered). I also used various dip pens for years -- although I don't crave working with them again, they gave me plenty of experience with choosing inks and maintaining nibs, so I think I have a good sense of what I want and how to keep it working.

These days I'm starting to want to get back into a daily practice of drawing, and I want the pen I wish I had back in the day. Recently my partner prompted me into getting a Nemosine. It's surprisingly nice; better than I remember those Rotrings to be -- decent weight and grip, smooth for an EF tip, but the nib is stiff and the line is unvarying. Good for writing, not what I had in mind for drawing. I'd like some variety in line.

I'm feeling overwhelmed by the range of pens available these days, so let me think aloud on what I'd like...

• An extra-fine nib. To use the nibs.com tip size table for context, something in the area of 0.30-.35mm area (since it looks like some companies' XXF are other companies F).
    • Flexible and varying line. The more flexibility and the greater variance, the better. I tend to have a light touch.
    • Flows relatively freely.
    • Primarily for sketching.
    • Average width and length for grip and body.
    • Cheaper is better. Strongly prefer under $50, but maybe up to $100 if you can make a really good case for it. I could raise the limit even higher, if your wizardly powers of persuasion can convince me it is the One True Pen that will do everything I could ever dream of and I would never desire another pen again.
    • A great-for-the-price candidate under $25 I would probably buy multiples of, to be able to use more than one ink at a time.
    • Age, color and composition of the body don't matter a lot. In general simpler appearances appeal more, but on the whole I would rather pay for function than appearance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default Re: What pen would I like?

Welcome!
    I think one of greg minuskin's ~$80 flexy needlepoint deals would be your best bet. Check out gregminuskin.com for more (no affiliation).
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Hm. If I'm understanding his site correctly, the $80 would be for his service in addition to the cost of the pen?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post
    Hm. If I'm understanding his site correctly, the $80 would be for his service in addition to the cost of the pen?
    I think what is being referred to are his pen sales. If you bring up his home page (on his site) it usually shows the latest pen he has just sold. I say that because he puts a pen up, people send in an email offer, and he sells them.

Pretty much one at a time, and you just have to see it when it comes online.

To be honest, I've never had success at being there when a pen was actually for sale, but if you are... Well, he puts an emphasis on the nib and the writing qualities, and this is very much his strong suit. Even if the pen isn't pristine, he is offering some great writing experiences for quite reasonable prices. I'd at least give it a shot, and he is a member here on FPG, as well. On the right hand side of his site/blog, look under "Categories" for "Pens For Sale". That will take you to current items, and an archive of past sales.

Also, Mauricio at Vintage pens (http://www.vintagepen.net/) has some magnificent pens, but I don't know how often his offerings would be in your price range. Worth looking at, for educational purposes, though. HTH
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

ardgedee (May 6th, 2013)

Thanks

Mauricio's site is great! Yes, the pens are mostly above my price point, but his information pages have been able to provide some substance to my thoughts.

It looks like I should keep my eyes out for a Waterman 12 and/or Waterman 52. How difficult are these to restore to working condition (albeit not necessarily showroom condition)? I'm going to assume that finding one with a non-damaged nib is a must, but what parts are likely to or would have to be replaced?

It also looks like a Noodler's Ink Ahab would be a 90% solution; would it be a bad idea to start with one of those, or are the Watermans mentioned still profoundly different?

jor412

If you want to draw with it, the Ahab might flow a bit too freely but still not provide the same line variation as a vintage flex Waterman nib.