Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: London 'The Hole' Geek Gathering

Thanks

Default Re: London 'The Hole' Geek Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    Thanks Rui.

Sorry, I was asleep at the switch as usual...

Cob
    Hopefully we will be able to see some of those pens you have been buying lately if you are also going to be there.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RuiFromUK For This Useful Post:

Cob (July 25th, 2014)

Thanks

This brings to my mind asking the usual question: does anyone want me to bring anything specific to the meeting next week?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RuiFromUK View Post
    Thanks Rui.

Sorry, I was asleep at the switch as usual...

Cob
    Hopefully we will be able to see some of those pens you have been buying lately if you are also going to be there.
    Oh yes, that should be possible - but tell me: hasn't everyone around here been buying pens lately? As you know there's been a thread about it. I should have about seven or so to show you; I am waiting for the three Waterman's from the USA so they could be ages! But there's the battered 52, the Cameron eyedropper, a strange old Swan, a Unique that should have arrived by then, plus whatever else tempts me too much in the usual weekend ebay chaos.

I have also ordered a leather case that holds 12 pens; I felt the complete amateur last time fishing pens out of various pockets!

Rgds

Cob

Thanks

Oh yes, that should be possible - but tell me: hasn't everyone around here been buying pens lately? As you know there's been a thread about it. I should have about seven or so to show you; I am waiting for the three Waterman's from the USA so they could be ages! But there's the battered 52, the Cameron eyedropper, a strange old Swan, a Unique that should have arrived by then, plus whatever else tempts me too much in the usual weekend ebay chaos.

I have also ordered a leather case that holds 12 pens; I felt the complete amateur last time fishing pens out of various pockets!

Rgds

Cob
    That is excellent news about the 12 pen case. Looking forward to see it full of pens next week.

On my side I'll take the ones I have bought this week but they will be unrestored as I am going to be very busy this weekend with the family and therefore I would not have any time to do any pen work. Amongst those there will be one that is going to make you smile (at least hehe).

Thanks

Rgds

Cob
    That is excellent news about the 12 pen case. Looking forward to see it full of pens next week.

On my side I'll take the ones I have bought this week but they will be unrestored as I am going to be very busy this weekend with the family and therefore I would not have any time to do any pen work. Amongst those there will be one that is going to make you smile (at least hehe).

Oh ho! That sounds v-e-r-y interesting.

Cob

Thanks

Oh yes, that should be possible - but tell me: hasn't everyone around here been buying pens lately?
    Um no. I buy pens to use, and haven't seen any recently that are my sort of pen in my price range (very low at the moment as the insurance payout for stolen car wasn't enough to cover the replacement car). I have seen a pen that I want, but need to save hard as it involves a Henry Simpole overlay... Damn these expensive tastes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by View from the Loft View Post

Oh yes, that should be possible - but tell me: hasn't everyone around here been buying pens lately?
    Um no. I buy pens to use, and haven't seen any recently that are my sort of pen in my price range (very low at the moment as the insurance payout for stolen car wasn't enough to cover the replacement car). I have seen a pen that I want, but need to save hard as it involves a Henry Simpole overlay... Damn these expensive tastes.
    Yes, well I suppose I was being a bit light-hearted, influenced I suppose by the thread to which I referred.

I know exactly what you mean about insurance: that happened to me twice - insurance companies are decidedly shy when it comes to coughing up.

Cob

Thanks

I know exactly what you mean about insurance: that happened to me twice - insurance companies are decidedly shy when it comes to coughing up.
    You guys need to look at the Devils Dictionary thread for a good description of insurance.
    http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....9053#post89053

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by View from the Loft View Post

Yes, well I suppose I was being a bit light-hearted, influenced I suppose by the thread to which I referred.

Cob
    Sadly, tone doesn't always come over too well. I do enjoy spotting **my** pen on that well know auction site and hoping no one else has . I've snaffled a few bargains that way, but they are getting rarer now. But oh, the overlay on the new CS100 is tempting - for the sake of my husband's sanity it's a good job I can't afford one at the moment.

The problem with my buying pens to use policy is that when a new pen arrives I have to find a use for it

Thanks

"The problem with my buying pens to use policy is that when a new pen arrives I have to find a use for it"

Yes I carry several during the day for "justification" purposes!

Cob

Thanks

Just confirmed with the boss at home and I can go as well. If it is OK with everyone then can we meet at the "Marquis Cornwallis" to try out the place and introduce them slowly to fountain pens?
    I'm pretty sure TMC is where Rui, View and Oldstoat ended up at the last London pen show. Either way, they have experience of fountain pen people have visited before as some of us have been before. I'm pretty sure they have lifted the ban by now...

As for Saturday 2nd - I'm hoping to attend but it does depend on work and how crazy it gets and how much of a tantrum the Office Manager has. I'll know more later in the week... Anyone know if David or Carl are about?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I'm pretty sure TMC is where Rui, View and Oldstoat ended up at the last London pen show. Either way, they have experience of fountain pen people have visited before as some of us have been before. I'm pretty sure they have lifted the ban by now...

As for Saturday 2nd - I'm hoping to attend but it does depend on work and how crazy it gets and how much of a tantrum the Office Manager has. I'll know more later in the week... Anyone know if David or Carl are about?
    Yes it is the same pub where we had lunch during last year's Pen Show.

We have not heard from David or Carl for a while and hopefully you will be able to make it to the meeting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post

Yes it is the same pub where we had lunch during last year's Pen Show.

We have not heard from David or Carl for a while and hopefully you will be able to make it to the meeting.
    Yes, I'll second that Annie; er, there's a nib I'd like you to look at.. (blush)

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Best wishes,

Cob

Thanks

Greetings

I come in peace (and leave in pieces).

Thanks to Annie for giving me the heads up on a new meet (as usual). I'm afraid I have been remiss at checking the forum lately (usual things: work, virgin hunting, goat herding, family stuff). But this has been compounded by the fact that my broadband provider seems incapable of repairing my home internet without me sacrificing many hours in devotion (otherwise known as being held in a queue - my children are learning new words every day) and restarting the router EVERY bleeping phone call I make to them. Plus I'm too old and grumpy to browse the internet on my phone (it doesn't look good with snot all over it because I have to get so close to the screen).

It would appear that the latest batch of virgin goats have been shipped to Watford and I should have one available for Saturday!

A new venue? But we likes it dark in the hole don't we preciousss? Yess we does! The new place it lookss light and airy - we doesn't likess the light it hurtsss...

Besides has anyone checked the drainage in there?

Also it serves lentils (Ye Gods and little fishes what kind of madness is this?), do you know what happens when you feed a goat lentils? Seriously has anyone checked the drainage?

Oh well que sera sera - I will be there (but I will take no responsibility if the drainage isn't adequate)!

Sister Annie - ensure the manacles of righteousness are well oiled if you please. I shall sally forth on this coming day of Saturn and ride the subterranean worm to this place of light and lentils, be sure I will arrive upon the very stroke of noon in my fur waders and sou'wester.

Now will someone please check the drainage! No matter how many times I have washed them I can still smell the after-effects of the last drainage problem on my PVC Y-fronts.

Carl

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

Jeph (July 29th, 2014), RuiFromUK (August 2nd, 2014), View from the Loft (July 29th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Sorry folks but I won't be at the Geeks meeting tomorrow. Enjoy the new venue and have fun.
    I will definitely be there at the September meeting, together with our friend from Down Under

Thanks

Rui and I are here so far.

No beer until 12 - bar rules.

At least I found the darkest bit of the whole pub.��

Thanks

On my way.
    Cob

Thanks

Lovely to see Ruifromuk and Annie again and to meet Carlc.

Looking forward to the next one - and huge thanks for Annie for turning the old Swan into a PEN,

I'm truly grateful.

Best wishes

Cob

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

RuiFromUK (August 3rd, 2014)

Thanks

Next meet: 6th September same place same time.

The month after is the London WES (next door to the pub).

For November it has been decided we are going to start a beer hall putsch (Rui will follow with details of the venue). I'm already creating an arms cache (pens actually) but come the revolution the president of BIC will the first against the wall .

Vive la revolution!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

RuiFromUK (August 3rd, 2014)

Thanks

Allons-y Carl.

It seems I'll not be able to attend the September gathering which will be in the same place as yesterday's. In October we will also meet there as it is a very convenient venue for the London Pen Show.

For the 5th of October Sunday meeting Jeph will honour us with his presence during his first visit to the UK with his wife. Believe it or not he is planning to bring no less than 24 fountain pens .

For the 1st of November gathering we have decided to try a new venue which is just off Finsbury Circus, five minutes walk from both Liverpool Street and Moorgate tube stations. It is a German Kneipe (pub) and one can obtain more details here http://bierschenke.co.uk/. Beer is a bit cheaper than the yesterday's pub even though the alcohol contents is higher. Upon hearing about it my wife is already giving me hints that she might join us (I better behave then).

Zum Wohl!!! (Cheers!!!)
    Last edited by RuiFromUK; August 3rd, 2014 at 08:37 AM.