Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What Pen Have You Converted To An Eyedropper?

Thanks

Default Re: What Pen Have You Converted To An Eyedropper?

Quote Originally Posted by UK Mike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kemuri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Mike View Post
    As I am never more than about 15 feet away from an ink bottle when I am writing I can conceive of no circumstance when I would want to return to the 19th Century idea of an eyedropper.
    Technology has moved on.
    Then why to use fountain pens? We have rollerball pens nowadays.. technology has moved on...

-kemuri
    Because the Rollerball is a clear BACKWARD step. I despise them.
    Me too, Mike... me too!

-kemuri

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kemuri For This Useful Post:

Woody (May 11th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jde View Post

Edited to add new thought: Re. some of that burping/leaking... if a pen has a screw-in nib unit, some silicon grease can also be applied on the threads of the nib unit. See Brian Gray's video, at about 5:00 minutes in for a clear instruction on how to do that.
    http://youtu.be/6hC2Y3TCEuE
    Bumping this thread to add a new thought about ink seepage...I have one pen where this application of silicon grease on the nib unit threads is necessary.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jde For This Useful Post:

ThriveToScribe (May 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Pilot 78G with silicon grease on the threads and an o'ring. Works like a charm as my daily workhorse and I've never had any problems. But the 78G seems to be made with the purpose of being ED converted. Same thing goes for a Preppy highlighter with Noodler's Firefly.

Quote Originally Posted by alisyedz View Post
    I also have a couple of Lamy Vista's and Lamy Safari's converted to eyedroppers. They never have any burping issues surprisingly.
    How did you do the Safari/Vista conversion? Did you seal the barrel with some kind of resin or did you use the barrel from rollerball versions?
    Last edited by Avastgard; May 10th, 2014 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avastgard View Post
    Pilot 78G with silicon grease on the threads and an o'ring. Works like a charm as my daily workhorse and I've never had any problems. But the 78G seems to be made with the purpose of being ED converted. Same thing goes for a Preppy highlighter with Noodler's Firefly.

I also have a couple of Lamy Vista's and Lamy Safari's converted to eyedroppers. They never have any burping issues surprisingly.
    How did you do the Safari/Vista conversion? Did you seal the barrel with some kind of resin or did you use the barrel from rollerball versions?

~~~I wondered also how to do that. I almost "converted" a Lamy Safari to eye-dropper but realized just in time there are two holes on the feed that would let the ink out. A close call.

Sent from the iPhone of Madame X.

Thanks

I've got my Pilot Penmanship as an eyedropper at the moment. Just a bit of silicone grease on the thread and away it goes. This pen is completely clear so it's lovely watching as the ink sloshes around.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I converted a Sheaffer No-Nonsense pen to an eyedropper for a friend. However this was no ordinary NNS. He gave me an Omas Paragon nib to find a body for. The NNS was the only donor pen I could find that the curvature of the feed exactly matched the nib, without grinding of heating. Personally I do not like the style of the NNS pen, but the cursive italic Omas nib turns it into an absolute delight to write with.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Brisboy (May 13th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThriveToScribe View Post

~~~I wondered also how to do that. I almost "converted" a Lamy Safari to eye-dropper but realized just in time there are two holes on the feed that would let the ink out. A close call.
    Are you sure the ink would leak? Take a look at what this guy did on FPN:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...ri-eyedropper/

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...r-lamy-safari/

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    I converted a Sheaffer No-Nonsense pen to an eyedropper for a friend. However this was no ordinary NNS. He gave me an Omas Paragon nib to find a body for. The NNS was the only donor pen I could find that the curvature of the feed exactly matched the nib, without grinding of heating. Personally I do not like the style of the NNS pen, but the cursive italic Omas nib turns it into an absolute delight to write with.
    I have been contemplating this idea as well, but the NNS cartridge already holds such a large amount of ink... Maybe not worth it, if you think about the catastrophe that could happen.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Avastgard For This Useful Post:

ThriveToScribe (May 15th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    I have been contemplating this idea as well, but the NNS cartridge already holds such a large amount of ink... Maybe not worth it, if you think about the catastrophe that could happen.
    I agree on the quantity. I never measured the amount the NNS barrel hold, but it must be 5ML at least.

Thanks

I only write with eye droppers now. All Edison's, also converted Sheaffer no nonsense, and a Sheaffer imperial. If it has a water tight plastic barrell it'll become an eye dropper. I'd really like to know how to convert my Safaris.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:

jde (May 11th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I'd really like to know how to convert my Safaris.
    Check the links I posted above.

Thanks

An update on my pilot penmanship. Working fine but has a tenancy to burp ink which is very irritating. It's unpredictable too, it did so this evening when it was nearly full. Any ideas? Does the seal of the feed need some silicone too.

Thanks

I guess I have no luck with eye droppers. I turned one of my Kaweco ice sports into an ED, and it never worked well. The pen kept burping every few lines. It wrote perfectly well, except for the giant ink spots it would excrete after a minute of use. So no eye droppers for me. Maybe I'll clean it out and try again at some point. I know it's possible, just trying to figure out what the problem was.

Thanks

Has anybody ever tried converting a Monteverde Artista Crystal? I know the section is made of metal, but not being able to convert that beautiful pen is just cruel...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Thanks to all for a very interesting thread.

I have a curious old Dutch pen that might be a candidate; it is/was a button filler and hooray! it has a screw-in section. If anyone has any observations about this I'd be delighted to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Cob

Thanks

The Noodler's Ahab and Kaweco Sport. They were both exclusively desk pens, and in the case of the Ahab the pressure filled the fins of the feed faster, enhancing the performance.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Austin_Malone For This Useful Post:

Brisboy (July 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rgperedo View Post
    I guess I have no luck with eye droppers. I turned one of my Kaweco ice sports into an ED, and it never worked well. The pen kept burping every few lines. It wrote perfectly well, except for the giant ink spots it would excrete after a minute of use. So no eye droppers for me. Maybe I'll clean it out and try again at some point. I know it's possible, just trying to figure out what the problem was.
    What size nib are you using?

I converted a Kaweco Sport to ED, its a Fine nib, I think it leaked once in its lifetime, never during use. I opened it one day and the ink spilled out of the cap, so it burped or leaked in the cap prior to use.

Was the only time this has happened for me. I filled the pen 3 times (I think) over its life.

Thanks

3.5 ml's actually Scrawler. I converted a couple of NNS. Shame they have such bad nibs. Can't get a smooth one.

Thanks

In order to make a good eye dropper the barrell should be plastic, and the threads of the section that screw into the barrell must be fairly fine and must fit well. If you have a threaded nib unit you can add a slight amount of grease there as well. If it's an Indian ebonite type of pen, with a threaded nib unit, you'd be well advised to use some grease. I just converted a Sheaffer imperial with plastic barrell today. Nice tight threads and some grease and its writing like a champ. One caveat. I've never had an Ahab that worked well in a conversion. I could not get a good fit with the nib, feed and section, the tolerances were just a little too loose. Perhaps some grease could have been added, but I'm afraid it would take too much grease and would effect the feed integrity. A few tips. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    In order to make a good eye dropper the barrell should be plastic, and the threads of the section that screw into the barrell must be fairly fine and must fit well. If you have a threaded nib unit you can add a slight amount of grease there as well. If it's an Indian ebonite type of pen, with a threaded nib unit, you'd be well advised to use some grease. I just converted a Sheaffer imperial with plastic barrell today. Nice tight threads and some grease and its writing like a champ. One caveat. I've never had an Ahab that worked well in a conversion. I could not get a good fit with the nib, feed and section, the tolerances were just a little too loose. Perhaps some grease could have been added, but I'm afraid it would take too much grease and would effect the feed integrity. A few tips. Hope that helps.
    I (finally) converted an Ahab successfully by heat setting the feed. I'm using it for ink samples and so there's the problem of all that air in the barrel. Blurp, blurp.

Thanks

How did you close up the 'viewing hole' in the Vista barrel?

Oops, I meant the hole in Safari (I have quite a few of those on hand).
    Last edited by mckenzif; November 8th, 2015 at 03:24 PM.