Thread: What Pen Have You Converted To An Eyedropper?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Re: What Pen Have You Converted To An Eyedropper?

I am still curious. Where you can't see the ink sloshing around inside - because the barrel is not transparent - has anyone ever accidentally opened the pen only to find loose ink? Why am I concerned about this? I am perfectly happy with a transparent eyedropper. Am I more forgetful than others? Am I paranoid? Is there a doctor in the house?

Hey, I sometimes find myself trying to unscrew a lever-filler - just sometimes. And thankfully, I am always gentle with my pens, so the lack of 'give' soon stops me. Hhmmm. Maybe the silicone in the threads would provide enough resistance to stop me. Just thinking aloud here. Maybe I just need to be more mindful when filling/checking pens. Trouble is I'm usually still engaged in the thinking process - thinking about what I'm writing.

Anyway, I went and put some silicone on my translucent blue Sheaffer school pen/Skrip Cartridge pen - no O-ring - put one of my zingyest inks in it - PR Tanzanite - and it works a treat - nice fine nib. The fine threads on this pen are eminently suitable.
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cedargirl For This Useful Post:

thagbert (May 29th, 2013)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cedargirl View Post
    I am still curious. Where you can't see the ink sloshing around inside - because the barrel is not transparent - has anyone ever accidentally opened the pen only to find loose ink? Why am I concerned about this? I am perfectly happy with a transparent eyedropper. Am I more forgetful than others? Am I paranoid? Is there a doctor in the house?
    I am entirely paranoid about this same thing! I have no problem converting clear pens to eyedroppers (like the Platinum Preppy) but I hesitate to convert opaque pens for the fear of forgetting and unscrewing the barrel and dumping a bunch of ink in my lap (or, worse, on my books and papers). I have used my ebonite Stipula Passaporto as an eyedropper, but even that one makes me nervous. I have a Franklin Christoph Pocket Pen that I am itching to eyedropper-ify but still I (irrationally?) hesitate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I am entirely paranoid about this same thing! I have no problem converting clear pens to eyedroppers (like the Platinum Preppy) but I hesitate to convert opaque pens for the fear of forgetting and unscrewing the barrel and dumping a bunch of ink in my lap (or, worse, on my books and papers). I have used my ebonite Stipula Passaporto as an eyedropper, but even that one makes me nervous. I have a Franklin Christoph Pocket Pen that I am itching to eyedropper-ify but still I (irrationally?) hesitate.
    Phew! Thought it was just me. I just thought of a way of managing a rotation - all eyedroppers one week, the next all piston fillers, etc.

I guess if you manged the Stipula OK, you should be able to do the same with the Franklin Cristoph. Rationally speaking ...

Thanks

... has anyone ever accidentally opened the pen only to find loose ink?
    Not yet, but it's just a matter of time. Particularly with the Pilot Penmanship: that silly little cap was specifically designed to deceive me into unscrewing the section, I swear it. Given that it's full of Monaco Red right now, the result could be worthy of a Tarantino film.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    ... has anyone ever accidentally opened the pen only to find loose ink?
    Not yet, but it's just a matter of time. Particularly with the Pilot Penmanship: that silly little cap was specifically designed to deceive me into unscrewing the section, I swear it. Given that it's full of Monaco Red right now, the result could be worthy of a Tarantino film.
    I wasn't familiar with that pen, but now I've checked it out I can see the danger.

This makes me think more about what makes a pen a good candidate for turning into an eyedropper.
    My list would be:

* has very fine threads where the barrel screws on/off (I don't believe an O-ring is necessary. I don't think you find these on classic eyedroppers)
    * has a clear or translucent body, so you can see the ink slosh (both a safety and an aesthetic feature)
    * has a slip cap or a cap that screws to the barrel, not the section
    * has a plastic (of some sort) barrel, not a metal barrel (to avoid the ink/metal chemical reaction)
    * doesn't have holes in the barrel (like a safari) or at least has a small hole that can be easily plugged (like a P51 breather hole)
    * has a decent feed that will trap ink or moderate it's flow a bit

Have I forgotten anything?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cedargirl For This Useful Post:

ThriveToScribe (May 31st, 2013)