Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Visconti

Thanks

Default Visconti broad vs stub nibs

It's been over two months since I bought a pen and it's starting to get to me so I'm on the hunt. I'm being tempted by the midi stainless steel Homo Sapiens and was thinking of trying a stub nib just for something different in regards to line variation (I usually use a fine nib). But the midi version doesn't come with a stub nib, it only goes up to broad.

Will I get any line variation with the broad nib or will it just look like thick, unreadable lines (at least with my writing). I have found a picture of a writing sample of all the Visconti nibs but it was a bit hard to tell.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Default Re: Visconti

Not too much line variation in the broad. It is a really fat line - a wonderful fat line.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

Llewellyn (August 30th, 2014)

Thanks

A wonderful, WET, fat line

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Newjelan For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (August 31st, 2014)

Non-participant
    Thanks

Ummm, global rumours abound about Mr. Bogon's new Visconti Didgeridoo, but there is a strange lack of self publicity of the event in this thread, which is rather unusual for him ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Llewellyn (September 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Murfie View Post
    Ummm, global rumours abound about Mr. Bogon's new Visconti Didgeridoo, but there is a strange lack of self publicity of the event in this thread, which is rather unusual for him ...
    Has he been raiding Rozmenko's treasure trove again???? I've just ordered the two new Van Gogh's from my dealer in Rome.

Edit: I forgot. Following a lead from here about Regina Martini's site, I also have a Pericle on it's way to me. It's a medium nib which I don't normally use so it will be an interesting change. If my research is correct this pen is the first version of the Pericle from circa 1994 I believe. Red with a gold nib..............should be fun.
    Last edited by Llewellyn; September 17th, 2014 at 02:30 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llewellyn For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (September 19th, 2014), Tracy Lee (September 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfie View Post
    Has he been raiding Rozmenko's treasure trove again???? I've just ordered the two new Van Gogh's from my dealer in Rome.

Edit: I forgot. Following a lead from here about Regina Martini's site, I also have a Pericle on it's way to me. It's a medium nib which I don't normally use so it will be an interesting change. If my research is correct this pen is the first version of the Pericle from circa 1994 I believe. Red with a gold nib..............should be fun.
    I have a green one of those - with a really nice gold nib. It's a nice pen. I am partial to the design of the later Pericles (I have a couple of those) but the nibs are steel so not as nice as the original design.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

Llewellyn (September 21st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I do not own a Visconti, and probably never will. However I am taking care of a friends pens for a while and one of them is a burgundy Wall St. It seems the material is inspired by the 1940 Parker Vacumatic. I like the vacuum filler mechanism, but it does not allow for a full and complete flush. In the ink window there is always a little ink left over, no matter how much I flush. As it is not my pen I am loath to overuse the filler mechanism. I like the solid feel of the pen. It is exactly the right weight. I am really impressed with the quality of the machined parts, especially the knurled knob to loosen and tighten the filler. Now that I have a Delta and have tried a Visconti, I can see the appeal. Is a slight springy flex normal for Visconti? Because if it is, they have gotten it almost perfect for writing with character.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    I do not own a Visconti, and probably never will. However I am taking care of a friends pens for a while and one of them is a burgundy Wall St. It seems the material is inspired by the 1940 Parker Vacumatic. I like the vacuum filler mechanism, but it does not allow for a full and complete flush. In the ink window there is always a little ink left over, no matter how much I flush. As it is not my pen I am loath to overuse the filler mechanism. I like the solid feel of the pen. It is exactly the right weight. I am really impressed with the quality of the machined parts, especially the knurled knob to loosen and tighten the filler. Now that I have a Delta and have tried a Visconti, I can see the appeal. Is a slight springy flex normal for Visconti? Because if it is, they have gotten it almost perfect for writing with character.
    I unscrew the nibs ftom my power fillers after flushing and wash out the last bits, and rinse off the section. Put a narrow edge of paper towel in to absorb extra water. Done and done. Can understand being reluctant on a pen thst isn't yours but it is super simple to do. My power fillers are as easy to clean as the converters, except the captive converters which suck to clean. Again, unscrew the nib, makes such a difference. Enjoy your temporary custody arrangements. The palladium nibs are slightly more soft than others.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

Llewellyn (September 21st, 2014), Scrawler (September 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Everyone should own at least one Visconti

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post
    I unscrew the nibs from my power fillers after flushing and wash out the last bits, and rinse off the section. Put a narrow edge of paper towel in to absorb extra water. Done and done. Can understand being reluctant on a pen that isn't yours but it is super simple to do. My power fillers are as easy to clean as the converters, except the captive converters which suck to clean. Again, unscrew the nib, makes such a difference. Enjoy your temporary custody arrangements. The palladium nibs are slightly more soft than others.
    Tracy Lee, how hard is it to do this, and is it just a case of simply unscrewing carefully? I remember once accidentally removing the nib on a Van Gogh (from memory it just twisted out of the section) and after the initial panic wore off it wasn't that hard to put it back.

Thanks

I unscrew the nibs from my power fillers after flushing and wash out the last bits, and rinse off the section. Put a narrow edge of paper towel in to absorb extra water. Done and done. Can understand being reluctant on a pen that isn't yours but it is super simple to do. My power fillers are as easy to clean as the converters, except the captive converters which suck to clean. Again, unscrew the nib, makes such a difference. Enjoy your temporary custody arrangements. The palladium nibs are slightly more soft than others.
    Tracy Lee, how hard is it to do this, and is it just a case of simply unscrewing carefully? I remember once accidentally removing the nib on a Van Gogh (from memory it just twisted out of the section) and after the initial panic wore off it wasn't that hard to put it back.
    I quite literally gently unscrew. The nib and feed and collar are one piece so don't pull. Requires a special tool. I have had no issues with any of mine doing this. Some were pretty tight so some gentle coaxing may be needed and I have wrapped the nib in a paper towel to hold at the very bottom while turning to keep my grip soft and even. No misaligned feeds or other problems. I can't guarantee your experience of course, but this is my process whenever I clean and change inks.

Thanks

My Dali unscrews like an Edison or Pelikan

Like those I wouldn't do it by the wings but by holding Nib and feed with a light forefinger and thumb
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (September 21st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Everyone should own at least one Visconti
    I am sure this is true, but for some reality is more humble.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Its been up since 2011.... But I just found this "How it's Made" video on Visconti

WOW

http://youtu.be/ljB9CRKbN3s

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (September 23rd, 2014), john (September 24th, 2014), Scrawler (September 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post
    Its been up since 2011.... But I just found this "How it's Made" video on Visconti

WOW

http://youtu.be/ljB9CRKbN3s
    Such a cool video. :-) I can watch it over and over.

Thanks

I quite literally gently unscrew. The nib and feed and collar are one piece so don't pull. Requires a special tool. I have had no issues with any of mine doing this. Some were pretty tight so some gentle coaxing may be needed and I have wrapped the nib in a paper towel to hold at the very bottom while turning to keep my grip soft and even. No misaligned feeds or other problems. I can't guarantee your experience of course, but this is my process whenever I clean and change inks.
    Tracy Lee - - When you rescrew the nib/feed assembly, is it necessary to apply any silicon grease to prevent leakage? Many thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Tracy Lee - - When you rescrew the nib/feed assembly, is it necessary to apply any silicon grease to prevent leakage? Many thanks.
    I have never used the grease on mine, it is good tight fit once screwed in and I have not had noticeable leaks. There is usually always a small bit of ink (like a smear) on the collar once unscrewed so it isn't a perfect seal, but it is a very tiny amount and is around the threads and not much lower than that.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (September 24th, 2014), Robert (September 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

Doubt a small Dab would hurt
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

Robert (September 23rd, 2014), Tracy Lee (September 24th, 2014)

Thanks

I love how they use really fancy machinery, and then resort to cable ties...
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

ALso, I have now discovered a new potential B&M store to peruse.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.