Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fraudster Brandon Cifani is on FPN as "penister"

Thanks

Default Fraudster Brandon Cifani is on FPN as "penister"

The fraudster Brandon Cifani is currently posting false information on FPN under the username "penister". Addendum: Brandon Cifani has changed his FPN username (or had it changed) to "pen-lover".

Here is a sample thread.

Some of Brandon Cifani's previous fraudulent activities are documented here.

--Daniel
    Last edited by kirchh; August 4th, 2013 at 04:45 PM.

Senior Member Penne Stilografiche's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Fraudster Brandon Cifani is on FPN as "penister"

He tried to sell pens that he did not own to multiple members and he lied about what pens he owns. I think someone should report this scammer to the FBI, he is a danger to the fountain pen community.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

What a loser.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 5th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ppengel View Post
    http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

I would suggest that someone file a complaint. You can do so at the above link.
    I think kirchh should report him as he was the one who Brandon tried to scam in the first place.
    http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....gaged-in-fraud

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by collectiblepens.com View Post
    I think kirchh should report him as he was the one who Brandon tried to scam in the first place.
    Um, you look kind of new around here. This guy has been on the radar for WELL over a year, on three different pen forums. Lots of people aware of his activities, no need to suggest who should be the policeman.

The kid is stupid and fraudulent. Just having everyone aware is enough at this point.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

That wasn't my intent, please don't be offended! I just wanted to make you aware that this was not an unknown situation for us around here.

Sent from my S4, just because...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Um, you look kind of new around here. This guy has been on the radar for WELL over a year, on three different pen forums. Lots of people aware of his activities, no need to suggest who should be the policeman.

The kid is stupid and fraudulent. Just having everyone aware is enough at this point.
    I am new on this forum, I just joined today. I normally stay on the FPN, but I made an account on this forum to warn you of Brandon's latest scheme. I do not think having everyone aware is enough as he will keep trying to scam other collectors until he does so successfully. Up until today, when he was banned for the second time on the FPN, he had contacted numerous members trying to sell pens that he did not own. I think it is best for the sake of the pen collecting community if he is reported.

Thanks

Ok, gents, points well taken. Tell me, though: do you really think the FBI is going to go after a little fish like this? Is this even remotely realistic?

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

The very nature if this topic leads to more suspicion. The sudden appearance of new members with no previous introduction who seem to be diving directly into this topic is consistent with the screwy procedures already found in previous discussions.
    I am not making accusations, but stating the kinds of suspicions that arise . . .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    The very nature if this topic leads to more suspicion. The sudden appearance of new members with no previous introduction who seem to be diving directly into this topic is consistent with the screwy procedures already found in previous discussions.
    I am not making accusations, but stating the kinds of suspicions that arise . . .
    Hi,
    I'm not "diving directly into this topic". Cifani was trying to deceive and scam me as well as many of the members of the FPN. Although he did not scam anyone this time (that I know of), I thought that it would be helpful to warn the members of the other pen forums. Also, I was following this thread before I became a member of FPG.
    Best Regards

Thanks

point taken, posts deleted. ill remember not to participate without being invited next time. but i dont see how this is "consistent with the screwy procedures already found in previous discussions".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

point taken, posts deleted. ill remember not to participate without being invited next time. but i dont see how this is "consistent with the screwy procedures already found in previous discussions".

The topic of Brandon is quite old and goes back for more than one year. Much of the discussions that lead up to Daniel's post on FPG concerning Brandon took place over on FPB (the Fountain Pen Board) since Brandon has a fascination with the rare and expensive pens. I think it's pretty easy for those of use who hang out on FPB to assume everyone has already heard all of the Brandon stories.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AltecGreen View Post
    The topic of Brandon is quite old and goes back for more than one year. Much of the discussions that lead up to Daniel's post on FPG concerning Brandon took place over on FPB (the Fountain Pen Board) since Brandon has a fascination with the rare and expensive pens. I think it's pretty easy for those of use who hang out on FPB to assume everyone has already heard all of the Brandon stories.
    He may have a fascination with expensive pens but he tried to sell Wearever's to some members of the FPN, of which he never owned. I'm glad you already know about what this criminal does, my posts were made for those who don't. I was trying to get the word out about his new scheme so that the newer members and collectors would not get scammed. Also, I would just like to say that the FPN has a nicer atmosphere than that of this forum, it seems the senior members of this forum do not take kindly to the newer members.

Best Regards
    Vincenzo

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Penne Stilografiche For This Useful Post:

bluefeathers (August 8th, 2013), pocketses (August 5th, 2013), ppengel (August 4th, 2013)

Thanks

"point taken, posts deleted. ill remember not to participate without being invited next time. but i dont see how this is "consistent with the screwy procedures already found in previous discussions"."

"Also, I would just like to say that the FPN has a nicer atmosphere than that of this forum, it seems the senior members of this forum do not take kindly to the newer members.

Best Regards
    Vincenzo"

It was not my intention to un-invite anybody, offend anyone, or make anyone feel unwelcome. If you follow the old threads, however, you will see how I mean that they have sewn distrust, which was why I mentioned it here. I certainly hope Vincenzo and ppengel feel welcome to post on anything here, and that they will see just how welcoming people are here to all topics and viewpoints.

My sense is that there might a little less sugar on top here than at FPN, but that people are no less friendly, and hope you will stick around to see that to be true!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

He may have a fascination with expensive pens but he tried to sell Wearever's to some members of the FPN, of which he never owned. I'm glad you already know about what this criminal does, my posts were made for those who don't. I was trying to get the word out about his new scheme so that the newer members and collectors would not get scammed. Also, I would just like to say that the FPN has a nicer atmosphere than that of this forum, it seems the senior members of this forum do not take kindly to the newer members.

Best Regards
    Vincenzo

Geez, that's a shame. I hope you'll reconsider, and also ppengel. Of course no one needs an invitation to post. And no one should make you feel unwelcome. I'd guess that the vast majority of people here are grateful that you two took the time to post. I'm not a new member at all, but this was news to me. And the FPN thread was unintentionally hilarious. One thing these young scammers are is transparent. Sadly another thing they are is persistent. It's always good to be reminded of it, if you ask me.

So please stick around. Remember that many of us post quickly, off the top of our heads. I'm sure no offense was meant. And if we all had the same opinion, discussions wouldn't be as interesting.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Best Regards
    Vincenzo

I'm not exactly sure what I said in my post made you feel unwelcome here. I merely responded to the comment about 'previous discussions' by mentioning that there is a long history with Brandon and gave FPB as a place to look for some of those past discussions. My second comment was a little reminder to Jon Szanto that those of us who also hang out on FPB have been aware of Brandon for quite a while but others are not. As for reporting, if you want to go by precedence, I would say George Rimakis or David Issacson have that honor.

Whether "FPN has a nicer atmosphere" is an interesting point worthy of discussion. Also, far as I can tell the 'senior members of this forum' have participated in this thread are also senior members of FPN. Weird.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (August 5th, 2013)

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Best Regards
    Vincenzo
    weren't you the subject of questionable activities over at fpn a while ago, at first denying who you are when someone outed your buying history on ebay al the while trying to pawn off a self mutilated pen you bought because you didn't know how to put it back together.

Thanks

In a simple response AltecGreen, I understood what you meant; mentioning that newer people may not be aware of the actions of Mr. Cifani.

In short my initial post in this thread suggested that someone report him, and I originally posted the link to the FBI Internet Crimes claims site. It was stated that we were new and that people know about this, but my point is that not everyone does. Prior to your post I had explained that it was a mere suggestion and that I know that it was far beyond my place of performing the reporting, but that many people specifically those that are new are unaware of Brandon, and that because of his most recent attempt to scam people these threads have resurfaced. I am now aware, but... people that are new could have easily become his prey. I further stated that if action was taken we could stop spending time in a thread that bears the idiots name and get back to whats important to everyone.. the pens.

As for if the FBI is going to go after a little fish like this question? and is it realistic... maybe. I don't know what is on the FBI's radar, but I can't imagine that reporting him would do harm. It could only do good, and worst case scenario nothing comes of it.

I have read through the entire FPG thread about Brandon, and most of the FPN one as well, and did so prior to even posting here. I feel that what is happening is fraudulent, and continuing to become more elaborate. Granted that does not mean its intelligent, but as a precaution and a measure of protection for the community as a whole, new and senior members included, I do not think the idea of filing a complaint is unreasonable.

The entire thread was abrasive, which I realize is sometimes the nature of forums to a degree (to a degree being the main point here). Although I had already stopped replying I think that when it was truly unwelcoming and offensive was at the mere suggestion that because I was a new member, and I'm not well known here that I'm suspicious or potentially fraudulent as well. That I had "suddenly appeared without previous introduction". Which is when I chose to delete all of my comments and stated that I wouldn't participate without invitation referring to the statement that I had not had "previous introduction". And beyond that that I was diving right into this topic which suggests "screwy" procedures. Comparing me to Brandon Cifani for being a new member in a forum is pretty harsh; especially if you have read all that everyone has to say about him. So apparently my participation arouses suspicions? I don't exactly understand that, I surely have not done anything fraudulent in any sense of the word. Maybe I misunderstood what was meant by these comments, but it didn't sound to friendly to me.

I do think that people on this forum are generally nice, I was just telling Mr. Goulet how kind all the people of the FP community are; although after this thread I thought I had spoken too soon. I believe that Vincenzo was making an effort to stand up for me, as it appeared that I was being bullied, and for that matter so was he. As for his dealings on FPN, I do not know him and I know nothing about his past, so I can not speak on that matter.

And as a little token, here the link to the new member forum, where I introduced myself.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....wdy-from-Texas

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ppengel For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 5th, 2013), Mesu (August 6th, 2013)

Thanks

Ooof. End of a long day at the end of a long week, but as long as there are mea culpas and bowing and scraping going on, I'll just clear up a couple of things. Well, I'll write a little bit; whether it clears things up, who knows?

My second comment was a little reminder to Jon Szanto that those of us who also hang out on FPB have been aware of Brandon for quite a while but others are not.
    I would respond to the gentleman from NoCal, the Right Honorable AG, that indeed Danny K. had a voluminous posting regarding Brandon right here on FPG back in May. In fact, that very thread has been resurrected by the recent activities. While it is true that the most material and discussion occurred at FPB, as legendary thread as they come, in fact there was already ample documentation here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    So please stick around. Remember that many of us post quickly, off the top of our heads. I'm sure no offense was meant. And if we all had the same opinion, discussions wouldn't be as interesting.
    Indeed, which is why I responded immediately upon learning that umbrage had been taken. You'll note that in Post #6, which now seems a bit weird as the post I was replying to has been deleted (I should have quoted, but it was as I was in the studio with the smaaahtphone and Tapatalk on Android is a bit new to me). Nonetheless, my sentiments were expressed.

Hardly. On the other hand, one usually looks a little suspect when their first posts are casting aspersions on others. In this case, to many, Brandon was known. However...

Hi! I'm new to the forum, but I've been into pens for x years now. My favorite writer is an x, and I love to ink it up with y. I'm looking forward to getting to know some new pen people, discuss writing styles and pen shows, and all manner of fun activities.

I also thought I'd mention a situation that occurred on another pen forum, for the purpose of alerting people who weren't aware of a potential scammer on the loose. The details...

Yada yada. Lots of ways to introduce yourself to a new community, but take a second and think about the fact that we might have already been dealing with a lot of pen transaction weirdnesses, and a lot of "he said, she said". Now a new person comes aboard with the express intent of outing a bad pen deal - certainly laudable in this case - well, it may set off warning signals. But please, don't leave over just this! It is a fine pen community with it's own flavor, and it needn't be your only home, just another place to talk about pens with people who love them.

Yikes. I haven't gone this tl;dr in a long time. Sorry.

And good night.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; August 5th, 2013 at 02:23 AM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

And as a little token, here the link to the new member forum, where I introduced myself.
    Thank you for that, which I have now attended to. So much in life is circumstantial, and missing an introduction isn't unheard of. Please know that you are welcome here, as most of what goes on isn't bad news of the sort that this thread is revolving around.

~ Benjamin Franklin