Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of your pens would you replace?

Non-participant
    Thanks

Question How many of your pens would you replace?

I was taught to write with a dip pen and finished my education with a cheap English Platignum lever-fill fountain pen with a very crude steel nib. Throughout the remainder of my life, I continued to use a fountain pen. I would not have owned more than three at a time, all being very inexpensive and some being throw-aways. I live in rural Australia and after the turn of the century, access to the Internet provided a ready means by which I could buy fountain pens from around the world, at a time when my local stationery supplier no longer stocked them.

Since then I have purchased more than 400 pens. I know this because every pen that cost more than $20 was entered into a database on my computer. All of these were bought without the opportunity for trying before buying and many have since been on-sold after being found to be uninspiring. I still have 176 of those pens plus a couple of dozen others that didn't quality for entry due to cost (mostly Chinese in origin). My collection is very broad comprising roughly half vintage, half modern, and includes such items as a Nakaya Piccolo, Pelikan M1000, vintage Parkers, Sheaffers, Esterbrooks and several ubiquitous Lamy Safaris.

I got to thinking recently as to what I could replace if something were to happen to the entire collection. I slowly went through my pens, examining each one in turn, asking "would I replace you if I lost you?". Even I was staggered at the outcome. Would you believe that my 176 would only be replaced by 16 pens? It made me wonder how much smaller my collection would have been had I been able to try a pen before purchasing it, though I realised that many of the reasons that caused a pen to lose favour, were the result of continual use and not a "The quick brown fox" on a shop counter top. I also have several pens that did not impress at the outset, but grew stronger in attraction the more I wrote with them and came to appreciate their more subtle features.

And what are the 16 pens I mention? Well, interestingly enough there is only two vintage pens in the list, with the remainder being currently still available in new stock. So here they are ...

Aurora Optima (black resin)
    Delta Fusion 82 (black)
    Conway Stewart Belliver
    Franklin-Christoph Model 19 '1901'
    Pelikan M215 (but with substitute 14kt nib)
    Bexley Corona
    Sailor Professional Gear (Orange with 22kt nib)
    Pilot Custom 742
    Pilot Decimo VP
    TWSBI Mini
    TWSBI Vac 700
    Lamy 2000
    Lamy Al-Star (stealth black)
    Jinhao 159
    Parker 51 Demi (Vacumatic fill)
    Esterbrook Dollar Model (bandless)

Among the other 160 pens in my lot that I would not replace, are some very nice pens (e.g. Nakaya Piccolo, M1000) that I regularly rotate into the inked roster. I don't mind writing with them, BUT I wouldn't rush out and replace them if they weren't there. Much of the decision making is purely subjective apart from the "value" aspect. That's why a $3.50 Jinhao 159 is on the list and the Nakaya isn't. Of course the Nakaya performs better than the Jinhao 'Dready' but when I take the cost into account, my choice is easy. You may well think otherwise.

How many pens do you own and how many would you replace them with?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

ChrisC (September 29th, 2013), lisantica (December 21st, 2013), Mags (September 11th, 2013), recluse (September 6th, 2013), top pen (December 28th, 2013), trhall (December 22nd, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: How many of your pens would you replace?

Well, you did put this out there for comment, so... Without even seeing the rest of the collection - which could be impressive, or pedestrian - the inclusion of the example of keeping the Jinhao and leaving the Nakaya behind makes me think you were dropped on your head as an infant.

As you say, it's subjective.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    the rest of the collection - which could be impressive, or pedestrian - the inclusion of the example of keeping the Jinhao and leaving the Nakaya behind makes me think you were dropped on your head as an infant.
    Probably somewhere in between. There's a Visconti HP and a Marlen Basilea among them and I won't bore you with a longer list of similar 'quality' pens. Being dropped on my head didn't effect my ability to learn to read and write, nor the ability to tell the difference between $3.50 and $600.

Thanks

Since this is all in the realm of conjecture and abstraction, why focus on the dollar figure? If one 'hides' behind subjectivity, and can so easily toss a carefully hand-crafted Nakaya in favor of a mass-produced Jinhao, I wonder just what the point is? What, precisely, is the point of owning and using these objects?

(Murfie, I don't think we've interacted before, and I just want to make certain: I'm not trying to goad you, etc. I'm interested in a bit of dialogue, but if you find anything offensive just tell me to spout off, and off I will spout!)
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Probably the most expensive that I have is the original MontBlanc 2006 Starwalker platinum nib given to me by my wife so my collection of around 30 - 40 fountain pens is not comparable to yours.

Since the question is what pens would I try to replace if I loose them the answer is very simple: the ones I enjoy writing with specially for calligraphy besides my wife's gift. They are the ones I call my 'birds' pen collection: 2 Pelikans and 8 Swan vintage fountain pens. Everyone of them cheap compared to the present going price of the MontBlanc pen (£800).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RuiFromUK For This Useful Post:

Murfie (September 5th, 2013)

Non-participant
    Thanks

Since this is all in the realm of conjecture and abstraction, why focus on the dollar figure? If one 'hides' behind subjectivity, and can so easily toss a carefully hand-crafted Nakaya in favor of a mass-produced Jinhao, I wonder just what the point is? What, precisely, is the point of owning and using these objects?
    Well, Jon, I probably should have clarified that I buy pens purely to write with them. I know others buy for other reasons, such as an investment, a beautiful piece of handcraft, to have a complete set of something, etc. There is no question that the Nakaya is a superior piece of work to the Jinhao, however, my take on both is purely from the writing aspect where I see what I got for $3.50 and what I got for $600. Someone like myself should probably have not bought a Nakaya as it is a work of art far beyond being just a functional instrument. Lets face it, I should have spent less than half of the Nakaya outlay and got a celluloid Platinum with the same nib and near identical performance as a writing instrument. I hope this clarifies my take on fountain pens. And thank you for the dialog ...

Thanks

If I were starting again, I'd buy a Noodler's Creaper to get things started until the right vintage pens turned up. And a few Baoers and Heros most likely. I'd also be on the lookout for boxes of old dip nibs.

Like Murfie, my only real interest is in how a pen writes, and to my mind there's a stark division between the nibs (and feeds) which were made when flexibility was a given, and everything else. For that reason, the "dollar figure" is inevitably a major consideration, and when I see yet another premium priced steel nib cartridge converter pen like the Delta which is on the main FPG page at the moment, I tend to think "why not just buy a job lot of Jinhaos, keep one and give the other nine away to my friends"? (That's not a dig at Delta in particular, there are plenty of similar pens around at much more exorbitant prices).

No doubt my attitude would be different if I had a taste for urushi lacquer and precious resin (whatever that is), preferred firm nibs or considered myself a collector.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think i have to agree with Murfie.. If i (god forbid) lost all my pens, the one's i'll replace will be the pens i'm using on a daily/weekly basis, and those i appreciate their writing qualities the most. All the other Work of Art/Handcrafted/One of a Kind pens will be probably added later and slower and with more thought behind the reason to buy them.. and maybe won't buy them at all.

*Had to fix my grammar :-/
    Last edited by ilangai; September 4th, 2013 at 02:33 AM.
    ✖ Ilan Gai ✒ An Addict ✖

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilangai For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Murfie View Post
    Well, Jon, I probably should have clarified that I buy pens purely to write with them.
    That certainly re-frames the conversation.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I buy pens to write with but aesthetics play a part also. Most of my pens have fine nibs. Out of about 125, if they were all lost I would definitely replace one-for-one:

Visconti Dali Surrealist blue
    TWSBI Vac 700 demonstrator
    Pilot Prera green accents
    Cross Solo green and Century II champagne
    Waterman Laureat (a gift from a friend) tortise and Phileas blue
    Sheaffer Targa (a gift from a friend) gold filled
    Noodler's Ahab Tiger, Pink Tiger and Demonstrator (I don't flex, I just like the way they write)
    Noodler's Konrad Demonstrator and Hudson Bay Fathoms (I don't flex, I just like the way they write)
    Lamy Safari Navy Blue and Pink
    Lamy Vista
    Parker Rialto - green and black
    Parker 25 - chrome
    Sheaffer Fashion - green and black
    Sheaffer 100 -blue
    Sheaffer No Nonsense Vintage (red, black and green)
    Parker Vector chrome

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pencils+pens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I had a similar thought a while back, and realized if my pens were lost to me, I'd start over with only seven. A vintage Pelikan 400, a Parker 51, an Aurora, a Sailor, a Montblanc, a custom Edison and a Lamy Safari.

I wouldn't necessarily stop there. But those are all pens I know I would want to own again. The cheapest is the Lamy Safari, which I like for practical and sentimental reasons. The Parker 51 and Pelikan 400 are utilitarian pens as well, since I buy user versions. The others are fancier, with the most expensive being a treasured gift to which I am sentimentally attached. They are all good writers, but I also think all of them are attractive. Or, in the case of the Pelikan, classic.

Except for the Safari, I would skip all cheap modern pens. Sorry Murfie. I'd go right to what I consider the good stuff.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

No idea. Many of them would be pretty difficult to replace.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

All of them.

Otherwise I sell, or give away.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Well I don't have much of a collection, but I would replace:
    Parker Slender Vacumatic in grey
    Pelikan m400 white tortoise
    Parker Slender Vacumatic in golden
    Pelikan P1 w/ factory OM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Thanks

See the "Classifieds" section for an answer to this question. Seriously, if I don't like a pen, it goes up for sale so I can buy another. It's very simple. Why would you hold onto a pen with the mindset that it's not one of your favorites?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
    See the "Classifieds" section for an answer to this question. Seriously, if I don't like a pen, it goes up for sale so I can buy another. It's very simple. Why would you hold onto a pen with the mindset that it's not one of your favorites?
    Well, that wasn't the question as I understood it. I interpreted it as how many would you replace if you lost all of your pens. Re-buying is a different decision from holding.

For example, I have ended up with four Aurora Optimas, in different colors and with different nib sizes. If I lost all of them, I wouldn't necessarily re-buy all four. For one thing, I got some great deals, and prices have changed. But I'd buy at least one. That doesn't mean I want to sell my others. I use them all.

In addition, some of us over the years have amassed small collections of certain pens. If I lost mine, I wouldn't feel the need to re-collect them all. Some would be impossible to find at reasonable prices anyway. The fun was in finding the pens, and I've had that experience already.

Why would I hold onto the pens I wouldn't necessarily replace? Why not? As long as they are pens I like. For right now, I don't have to sell: I have the storage space, there are no carrying costs, I use them, and I don't need the money for something else.

The pens I am going to sell are pens I don't use any more because of changed tastes. YMMV.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 4th, 2013), recluse (September 6th, 2013), ThriveToScribe (September 14th, 2013)

Thanks

I'm willing to bet there are at least as many viewpoints on pen use and ownership as there are pens in the world.

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (September 4th, 2013), pajaro (May 31st, 2014)

Non-participant
    Thanks

I'm willing to bet there are at least as many viewpoints on pen use and ownership as there are pens in the world.
    Very true, Jon. I did make one mistake in my initial post on this thread, but this came about from lack of practice I suppose. Unfortunately, the use of the Nakaya/Jinhao comparison plus the closing question deflected my intention that I was also trying to elicit discussion about the difficultly in buying a pen at arm's length without the opportunity of trying first - which I think is the main reason for the difference between the number of pens that I have now and the much smaller number that would constitute their replacement. I should put a bit more thought into the content of a post before committing it. Live and learn as they say ...

Thanks

Even with my small collection I'm struggling to use them all. I have never been a collector. In fact if I'm not using something then to me it becomes clutter.

If I had to replace what I have;

1. Lamy Al-Star. I lost my very first one and promptly went to the shop the next morning and replaced it. For the better part of 10 years it was the only fountain pen I owned and has never given me a problem. No matter the ink or the nib size.

2. TWSBI 580 or something similar. I used to think demonstrators were cheap looking and that I could never like a see-through plastic pen. Buying multiple inks and samples has made my 580 very useful.

3. Although mine hasn't arrived yet I've got a feeling that the Pilot VP will suit me. There are times when I find it irritating that my pens have caps to deal with.

Although I don't own a really expensive pen I would probably add one to the list.
    Last edited by velo; September 5th, 2013 at 05:15 AM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to velo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Murfie View Post
    Unfortunately, the use of the Nakaya/Jinhao comparison plus the closing question deflected my intention that I was also trying to elicit discussion about the difficultly in buying a pen at arm's length without the opportunity of trying first ...
    I thought your post had a good point -- The Jinhaos and Heros are not Great Pens, and given appropriate budgets it is easy enough to find better and more attractive instruments -- but they are remarkably good and reliable for their price; I honestly think my small handful of modern Chinese pens gotten at $2-8 apiece have served me better than most of the pens that have cost me $20-50 each (some of which are also modern Chinese pens, incidentally). Buying a clutch of 616es for the one or two best-quality examples is a cheaper, more effective way to add working pens to your collection than betting on some slightly higher priced ones.

If my small collection was destroyed and I had to start over... it is difficult to come up with half a dozen that I would actively seek exact replacements for -- two are vintage and the other three are cheap modern Chinese pens:
    Jinhao steel stick pen with fude nib
    Hero 616
    Waterman 34 with no 2 nib
    Nemosine EF
    Esterbrook J with 9128 nib (provisionally)

If I had a Parker 51, I might not feel inclined to get another 616. But I have a 616 and not a 51, so there's that. My collection is small by local standards, and I am already personally biased towards pens that can endure some bashing about in my hands without my feeling bad about it.

If the goal of your collection is to have pens to show, rather than for purely pragmatic pack-and-go reasons, this particular discussion is probably fruitless. And I can't criticize that; lately I've been casting an eye (and some money) towards more attractive pens when cheaper, less colorful versions exist -- but paying a premium for looks in addition to function is not what I would have in mind if I had to start a collection from scratch.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ardgedee For This Useful Post: