Thread: Ink Review: Organics Studio Oscar's Copper

Thanks
    Thanked 10,513 Times in 4,020 Posts

Default Ink Review: Organics Studio Oscar's Copper

Today I’m reviewing Organics Studio Oscar’s Copper ink. Organics Studio inks are hand made in Maryland, USA.
    This ink is from their "Ernest’s Vintage Writing Fluid" range. These are designed to be low maintenance inks that can be safely left in fountain pens for long periods without causing problems. They are also sold as safe for use in celluloid and vintage fountain pens.

When I reviewed this ink it was a mystery ink that I found to have very good, wet, flow with nice lubrication at the nib tip and smooth writing across the paper.
    It dried very quickly on my Xerox ColorPrint 120 gsm paper and shows some really nice shading.

A well behaved ink that is not readily available in many outlets but can occasionally be found in Vanness Pens US or Pure Pens UK. It comes in 55ml plastic bottles.
    For alternative options if you can't get this similar inks are Diamine Ancient Copper or their 150th Anniversary Blood Orange.

Thank you to FPGeeks “junglejim” for sending me the mystery sample.

• Flow Rate: Very good.
    • Lubrication: Very smooth.
    • Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
    • Start-up: Immediate.
    • Saturation: Not saturated
    • Shading Potential: Some nice shading seen.
    • Show-through/Bleed-through: A little seen on Exacompta FAF paper
    • Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None seen.
    • Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after several days in the pen.
    • Staining (pen): Not seen - very easy clean-up.
    • Staining (hands): Easily washed off of my hands.
    • Clogging: Not seen.
    • Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof, but shows a little water resistance.

Organics Studio Copper Oscar.jpgOrganics Studio Copper Oscar 1.jpeg
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

carlos.q (August 27th, 2023), Carpio (August 29th, 2023), catbert (August 27th, 2023), junglejim (September 14th, 2023), LizEF (August 27th, 2023), mizgeorge (August 27th, 2023), MKeith (August 29th, 2023), Robert (August 27th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (August 28th, 2023), SIR (August 27th, 2023), Yazeh (August 27th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,282 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Organics Studio Oscar's Copper

Great review @Chrissy
    There are only three inks in the "Vintage series". Oscar's Copper, and Maebel's Scarlet and Blue Merle. All three named after the owner's three dogs. I have to admit, the naming of the inks are really confusing But the colour was fun And it's out of stock in Vanness, btw

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Carpio (August 29th, 2023), Chrissy (August 27th, 2023), Robert (August 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Great review @Chrissy
    There are only three inks in the "Vintage series". Oscar's Copper, and Maebel's Scarlet and Blue Merle. All three named after the owner's three dogs. I have to admit, the naming of the inks are really confusing But the colour was fun And it's out of stock in Vanness, btw
    You're welcome.
    I know it's out of stock in Vanness because junglejim's original link goes to a missing page. I can't find it actually in stock anywhere.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 27th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Great review @Chrissy
    You're welcome.
    I know it's out of stock in Vanness because junglejim's original link goes to a missing page. I can't find it actually in stock anywhere.
    Finding inks of this brand is a bit erratic and difficult. It's like hit and miss, anyway, we'll always have Ancient Copper

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,262 Posts

Thank you as always Chrissy.

Luckily, I have enough copper inks to last me a lifetime (not least because I don't particularly like them), so I shan't be worrying too much about not being able to find it

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Carpio (August 29th, 2023), Chrissy (August 27th, 2023), Yazeh (August 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Thank you as always Chrissy.

Luckily, I have enough copper inks to last me a lifetime (not least because I don't particularly like them), so I shan't be worrying too much about not being able to find it
    You're welcome.
    Yes I suppose have a few too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Carpio (August 29th, 2023)

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for the review, Chrissy.
    I think I'm starting to understand more of what others see.
    I have to be honest though - taint the type of brown I would go out my way to buy. Not brown enough for my taste..... then, when I scroll down from the top of the page to get to my 'quick reply box', the scrolling speed is such, that I stop and go back to the colour guide posted, whereby I actually see red, and then a nice brown, so, in short - I do actually like the brown in the '3rd' pass.
    Beejeezus - these past 48 hours have been full of discombobulation, and I don't know if I want them again anytime soon.

Carpio
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpio For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 29th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carpio View Post
    Hello,

Thank you for the review, Chrissy.
    I think I'm starting to understand more of what others see.
    I have to be honest though - taint the type of brown I would go out my way to buy. Not brown enough for my taste..... then, when I scroll down from the top of the page to get to my 'quick reply box', the scrolling speed is such, that I stop and go back to the colour guide posted, whereby I actually see red, and then a nice brown, so, in short - I do actually like the brown in the '3rd' pass.
    Carpio
    You're welcome.
    Sometimes people see inks/papers quite differently.

When I first wrote with this as a mystery ink I thought it was red. That's why I brought out my red comparison inks to compare it with. At the time it actually never even occurred to me that Diamine Ancient Copper might be similar. However, once I found out what ink it was I looked at other reviews and it had been compared with Ancient Copper. Yazeh has mentioned it in this review too. I thought Dia. 150th Anniversary Blood Orange must be similar to Ancient Copper so I got out my bottle of Ancient Copper and I think it's actually less pinkish red and less similar to Oscar's Copper than the inks I've already compared it with, So I seem to be out on a limb of my own in not comparing Oscar's Copper with Ancient Copper. So there we are. All different.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 29th, 2023)