Thread: EFNIR: Pilot Mixable Colour Orange

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 586 Posts

Default EFNIR: Pilot Mixable Colour Orange

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Pilot Mixable Colour Orange

This is review #259 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This is a very bright, red-leaning orange. Cleaning was simple but did require some extra flushes. The ink also got behind the piston of my converter, but I don't think that's the ink's fault, I think the converter just needed re-greasing. The microscope slide was boring - some spikes like many other inks had, some pink here and there, but mostly flat orange.

NOTE: The cartridge appears to have suffered from evaporation (all the unused ones have), so I added some distilled water to top it off before inking the pen. This may skew the color, flow, and lubrication results, but I don't believe the impact will be significant.

Zoomed in photo (I think the color needs to be a little more red and a little less neon, but it's not too far off, and I think this is the most accurate.)

Screenshot (The text is too dark. (Attempts to lighten it left it washed out rather than bright, so I left it too dark.))

Scan of Completed Review (The scanner rendered this ink red, without orange. I color-corrected as best I could. It's not quite right, but gives the right idea (on one monitor)... What looks like shading in the image does not reflect real life. I think maybe the ink was still wet and shiny when I scanned it.)

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Both images seem a bit too neon to me.)

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 314µm. With 259 inks measured, the average line width is 295µm.)

Previous Review: Platinum Red.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 14th, 2023), Chrissy (November 14th, 2023), forester (November 14th, 2023), Lithium466 (November 14th, 2023), Marsilius (November 14th, 2023), mizgeorge (November 14th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (November 14th, 2023), Yazeh (November 14th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,262 Posts

Default Re: EFNIR: Pilot Mixable Colour Orange

Nooo! It's not Tuesday yet. In my head it's still last week. Thank you (I think) for sorting out my time challenges, and, of course, for another fab review!

I've been curious about this line for some time - I like the idea of the mixability, and I'm sure I have some of the cartridges that came with Parallel pens, but I've never really delved into the whole thing.

I can't say this one makes me want to either! It's just a bit too unsubtle for me (and I love orange inks), and I'm not sure that it wouldn't end up being a bit murky when mixed with just about anything except its direct neighbours in the colour spectrum, though perhaps this is the idea?

I'm so pleased that our villain has turned out to be just that! Though of course I'm now worried for our heroic adventurers as they go into battle. I hope Makhabesh has something special left in his pack...

I'm going to make a concerted effort to be ready for next week.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (November 14th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,282 Posts

Thank you for another excellent review

Like @mizgoerge, I'm glad it's not the high wizard. Good job at misleading your reader in the wrong direction
    As for the ink you said it all. Thanks for sacrificing your time to write the climax with a non deserving ink

Thanks for making Tuesdays, so bright and joyful

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Nooo! It's not Tuesday yet. In my head it's still last week. Thank you (I think) for sorting out my time challenges, and, of course, for another fab review
    Sorry, time has left without you - something about the sun and appointments to keep - I wasn't paying close attention. You're very welcome, and thank you!

I've been curious about this line for some time - I like the idea of the mixability, and I'm sure I have some of the cartridges that came with Parallel pens, but I've never really delved into the whole thing.
    It's very cool to watch Parallel artists (they seem like artists to me) touch the nibs of two such pens, each inked with a different color, and see the gradient that comes of it. But I don't have the patience to learn their skill.

I can't say this one makes me want to either! It's just a bit too unsubtle for me (and I love orange inks), and I'm not sure that it wouldn't end up being a bit murky when mixed with just about anything except its direct neighbours in the colour spectrum, though perhaps this is the idea?
    While I like my blues stormy and my greens murky, it turns out I really like bold, in-your-face oranges. I blame a certain FPNer who sent me a sample of Akkerman Oranje Boven - loved it in my EF TWSBI Eco! Hooked me for sure. (He's also the one who got me into murky greens, with MB Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green.) But I enjoy nice burnt-orange inks, too.

I'm so pleased that our villain has turned out to be just that! Though of course I'm now worried for our heroic adventurers as they go into battle. I hope Makhabesh has something special left in his pack...

I'm going to make a concerted effort to be ready for next week.
    Don't worry, if Tuesday leaves you behind again, we'll still be here when you catch up - unless someone deletes the internet...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (November 14th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Thank you for another excellent review
    You're very welcome! And thank you!

Like @mizgoerge, I'm glad it's not the high wizard. Good job at misleading your reader in the wrong direction

As for the ink you said it all. Thanks for sacrificing your time to write the climax with a non deserving ink
    Happy to do it! (I'm taking your advice and mixing in some of the unvotedfor inks. In no small part because they're starting to evaporate out of the cartridges!)

Thanks for making Tuesdays, so bright and joyful
    You're most welcome!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,754 Posts

First thing I thought when I saw this: 'It's red!' Then I saw your description. 🤣

Chalk me up as a lover of orange inks, but shading ones. (And I am now on Week Two of cleaning an orange ink from a Lamy Nexx.) So this Platinum orange may not be for me. But I still love the reviews and the story. I was just wondering what became of Oily Sorcery!

This was one of 'those' days, so many thanks, Liz, for making Tuesdays, even mental ones, fun.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    First thing I thought when I saw this: 'It's red!' Then I saw your description. 🤣

Chalk me up as a lover of orange inks, but shading ones. (And I am now on Week Two of cleaning an orange ink from a Lamy Nexx.) So this Platinum orange may not be for me.
    There's always Akkerman Oranje Boven. And if you like burnt orange, I have a torturous treat for you in the review I'm recording today (already spoiled in the doodle I did for InesF's thread over on FPN) - gorgeous shading, but unobtainium ink...

But I still love the reviews and the story. I was just wondering what became of Oily Sorcery!
    Thank you!

This was one of 'those' days, so many thanks, Liz, for making Tuesdays, even mental ones, fun.
    You are very welcome! Hope the day improves as it progresses!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (November 14th, 2023), Yazeh (November 14th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    While I like my blues stormy and my greens murky, it turns out I really like bold, in-your-face oranges. I blame a certain FPNer who sent me a sample of Akkerman Oranje Boven - loved it in my EF TWSBI Eco! Hooked me for sure. (He's also the one who got me into murky greens, with MB Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green.) But I enjoy nice burnt-orange inks, too.
    Oh! Did you compare the Akkerman to the Diamine orange?
    I'm looking for an excuse to buy the Akkerman but I think it's just like the Diamine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium466 View Post
    I'm looking for an excuse to buy the Akkerman but I think it's just like the Diamine.
    I don't have any ordinary Diamine Oranges. I compared it to Peach Haze, but it's not close. Oranje Boven is shown at the start of the video - it's much more orange than Mixable Colour (which looks very red in the video). In my experience, Mike Matteson's color is spot on, and he has Oranje Boven and Diamine Orange together: http://www.inkdependence.com/2016/02...nje-boven.html - FWIW.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Lithium466 (November 14th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,513 Times in 4,020 Posts

You're correct. It is the same ink but in a different bottle. Your choice of bottle is really the factor.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Lithium466 (November 15th, 2023)

Thanks

I don't have any ordinary Diamine Oranges. I compared it to Peach Haze, but it's not close. Oranje Boven is shown at the start of the video - it's much more orange than Mixable Colour (which looks very red in the video). In my experience, Mike Matteson's color is spot on, and he has Oranje Boven and Diamine Orange together: http://www.inkdependence.com/2016/02...nje-boven.html - FWIW.
    Darn it, I was sure I had included some
    Also thank you for the review. Not so convinced by these Pilot mixable inks, but then a variety pack would be quite cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    You're correct. It is the same ink but in a different bottle. Your choice of bottle is really the factor.
    If only the Akkerman weren't so hard to get where I live
    I thought maybe Oranje Boven was between Diamine Orange and Diamine Pumpkin. Two nice inks.

Thanks

Darn it, I was sure I had included some
    You included Blaze Orange and Pumpkin.

Also thank you for the review. Not so convinced by these Pilot mixable inks, but then a variety pack would be quite cheap
    You're very welcome! If you don't mind going to the bother of diluting them sufficient to get good dry times, then I can't think of any reason not to use them. And yes, the variety pack includes 12 unique colors, and makes for an inexpensive way to try them out.

If only the Akkerman weren't so hard to get where I live
    I thought maybe Oranje Boven was between Diamine Orange and Diamine Pumpkin. Two nice inks.
    I wanted an Akkerman bottle so badly that I found the color I liked best from what Anderson Pens carried (I don't think they carry these inks any more, or not many), and bought the bottle untested / sampled. I got lucky beyond my wildest dreams - the ink is now in my top two: Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo - seriously underrated blue-grey/black ink - shades gorgeously from my Pilot VP F nib, which is where I mostly use it. Looks best from a wet nib, IMO. Hope someone up your way gets clever and starts stocking Akkerman!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Lithium466 (November 16th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,754 Posts

I am familiar with bottle longings. Want Akkerman!

And apologies for having scanned the thread title as MISERABLE Orange…. 😵
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

I am familiar with bottle longings. Want Akkerman!
    Everyone should have at least one Akkerman bottle, if only for the novelty.

And apologies for having scanned the thread title as MISERABLE Orange…. 😵

24. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (November 15th, 2023)