Thread: Ink Review: Robert Oster NYC from NYC Pen Show 2022

Thanks
    Thanked 10,513 Times in 4,020 Posts

Default Ink Review: Robert Oster NYC from NYC Pen Show 2022

Robert Oster NYC (USA) ink. I received this ink as a sample from Wile E Coyote and believe it’s the Limited Edition issued at the 2022 New York Pen Show.

It’s a turquoise/sky blue ink that leans more blue than green and is quite similar to several other Robert Oster sky blue type ink colours.

NYC isn’t a saturated ink and it flowed very well through my pens. It didn’t feel dry, and seemed smoothly lubricated when writing across the page. I saw a little shading.

I didn’t notice any skips or hard starts when I put the uncapped pen down to do swab tests, dry times and water resistance. I didn’t spot any feathering but there was a bit of spread on the Exacompta FAF.

There was a lot of show through and bleed through from all nibs on Exacompta FAF paper. It was as bad as any I’ve ever seen. There was also a little show through on the Rhodia writing paper, Rhodia Dot Pad and Whitelines but I could easily have written on the reverse of those.

Robert Oster inks come in 50ml plastic bottles that are quite tall making it easy to fill fountain pens from, but they are quite easy to tip over so I usually place mine in a wide, squat, glass pot when I open it.

Thank you to Wile E Coyote for sending me this sample.

• Start-up: Immediate.
    • Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
    • Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen.
    • Show through/ Bleed through: Lots on Exacompta FAF. One sided writing. A little show through on Rhodia writing paper, Rhodia DotPad & Whitelines but I could still write on the reverse of those.
    • Staining (pen): Not seen after several days - easy clean-up.
    • Staining (hands): Easy clean. My hands were clean after one wash.
    • Clogging: Not seen.
    • Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof but has reasonable water resistance.
    • Availability: Only available in 50ml plastic bottles that were sold at several US outlets.

Robert Oster NYC-USA.jpeg Robert Oster NYC-USA 1.jpeg
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 5th, 2024 at 02:48 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

catbert (January 5th, 2024), forester (January 5th, 2024), LizEF (January 5th, 2024), mizgeorge (January 5th, 2024), MKeith (January 5th, 2024), Wile E Coyote (January 5th, 2024), Yazeh (January 5th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,282 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Robert Oster NYC from NYC Pen Show 2022

Thanks @Chrissy for another excellent review It seems that it's best this ink was a limited edition from all that show through.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 5th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 586 Posts

Thanks, Chrissy, for another thorough review. I confess, I love it when I don't particularly like limited edition inks. Now I don't have to wonder how to get an ink I can't get.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 5th, 2024), Lloyd (January 5th, 2024), Yazeh (January 5th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Thanks @Chrissy for another excellent review It seems that it's best this ink was a limited edition from all that show through.
    You're welcome. I actually like Exacompta FAF paper and think it is a decent fountain pen friendly paper. I was very surprised to see this poor showing on that paper. Perhaps I should have said NYC is paper dependant?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 5th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Thanks, Chrissy, for another thorough review. I confess, I love it when I don't particularly like limited edition inks. Now I don't have to wonder how to get an ink I can't get.
    You're welcome. It's not that I particularly disliked it but just thought of it as an everyday sort of ink i.e. nothing special. Apart from its paper preferences it was a good enough performer. Finding it took me ages even on the web but that might possibly be because I'm in the UK? I definitely wouldn't be able to buy it here and I can't say that I mind.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

LizEF (January 5th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    You're welcome. I actually like Exacompta FAF paper and think it is a decent fountain pen friendly paper. I was very surprised to see this poor showing on that paper. Perhaps I should have said NYC is paper dependant?
    I believe it's implied that's it's paper dependant. I personally haven't used Exacompta FAF papers, so, I don't know what to expect. I have notice sometimes, when my feed is primed I'll have show through/ bleed through...
    However, when I look at the examples you've provided it seems this ink is on the naughty list