Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pens I will eventually get (1 year, 2years, 5 years, who knows)

Thanks

Default Pens I will eventually get (1 year, 2years, 5 years, who knows)

this is more like a wish list but trying my best to limit is to the minimum to make it realistic.
    Well here it is .

1. Edison Collier Antique Marble (for sure)
    2. Mikarta (for sure)
    3. Vac700 (maybe), Click if it comes with a 1.1 CI.
    4. Delta Titanio (if I get a reaaaaallllyyyyyyyy good deal)
    5. MB149 (only if I get it as a gift).
    6. The OMAS 360 red posted here is (beautiful but too expensive.)
    7. fountainbel demo with orange caps (beautiful but too expensive).
    8. Parker Duofold Centenial Navy pinstipes (just made my list today we will see in 3 years ahead).

Tell me what you thing of the list, which should be first, etc.

Or Share a list of your own if you have it. Writing it down could help to make it real (someday).

At least it helps to get your priorities straight.

Lince
    Last edited by Lince; February 26th, 2012 at 07:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

Chance of Getting One.....
    1. OMAS Dama.................................High

2. Pelikan m400 White Tortoise............I getting one soon!!!!

3. Parker Pre-War Vac.......................?

4. Sheaffer's Snorkel.........................High

5. TWSBI Baby Diamond.....................Medium

6. Pelikan Vintage 400 (n, nn)...............Lower

7. Sheaffer Triumph in Brown Striations....?

8. Edison Pearlette Bulb filler................Low

9. Vintage Aurora 88 (earlier model with silver disk at captop).....Lower

10. L&C Hardtmuth Studio................Lower
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; March 5th, 2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: I changed the chances of me getting a White Tortoise

Thanks

In the following order

1. Sailor Profit Fude DE Mannen (55°) => because it is so cheap

2. Twsbi 540 1.1 mm stub

3. Twsbi Vac 700 EF

4. Sailor Professional Gear Matt Black with a specialty nib (at least a zoom nib) that fits my writing style...the nib is so expensive...
    or: Pilot with a fine soft nib (Waverley(?) or Falcon nib)

(5. some nice Edison pen with Urushi work done by Ernest Shin. The LA Penshow video was a great (unintentional) promotion video, and visiting the Hakumin Urushi Kobo website made my pants grow tight)
    Last edited by Pinkys.Brain; March 11th, 2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: deleted the Tombow Egg (=Zoom 8x8).

Thanks

@Lince:
    I second the Delta Titanio. I have been very satisfied with that pen and if you're into it, the titanium nib has a certain degree of flex, though I would not call it flexy.
    Since I love Omas I agree on the 360 (it being beautiful and too expensive).
    My personal choice for an Edison would probably be a Pearl, but the Collier will definitely end up on my wish list some day.

@Pinkys.Brain:
    I'm also very curious about Sailor pens and their nibs, but would not make a choice before having had the chance to see and write with them.
    I will probably order my TWSBI this week, with an additional 1.5 mm unit to go with it.

Cheers,
    Peter
    Last edited by peterpen53; February 26th, 2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Thanks

@peterpen53:
    I also haven't had the opportunity to test one. But from the vids and pictures I've seen so far the specialty nibs are something I really want to try some time. I have to write Japanese so I always wanted a pen that can do both, write extra fine and medium/broad. The Zoom nib might be just right, since I automatically increase the writing angle when writing Japanese characters.
    I will have to take test one when I am in Japan the next time and have enough pocket money ~_~

Thanks
    Thanked 11,080 Times in 4,025 Posts

I'll only list one at the moment:

Sheaffer OS Balance in Ebonized Pearl

I've gotten a standard Balance in this 'finish' in the past year, and it totally hits my aesthetic spot. I passed up quite a few because I wanted a very clean example. That OS, in the same condition, is not only going to be harder to find, but very dear to the bottom line. I'll keep after this one for a while.

Other than that, the list could ebb and flow. I've spent a year getting used to pendom, and I plan on spending the next year or so assessing the situation and starting to make priorities. Hopefully, it will work out as a good synthesis of brain and heart as the collection grows...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkys.Brain View Post
    @peterpen53:
    I also haven't had the opportunity to test one. But from the vids and pictures I've seen so far the specialty nibs are something I really want to try some time. I have to write Japanese so I always wanted a pen that can do both, write extra fine and medium/broad. The Zoom nib might be just right, since I automatically increase the writing angle when writing Japanese characters.
    I will have to take test one when I am in Japan the next time and have enough pocket money ~_~
    Well, if you have to write Japanese characters that would make sense. Just being curious: why would you have to write Japanese? I always find those languages that use totally different characters from ours very fascinating, even though to me totally illegible.
    Did you also have a look at Pilot's Custom range? Maybe not as spectacular as the Sailor specialty nibs but they do have a very broad range. This page http://www.asahiyakami.co.jp/shop/pi..._custom743.htm
    gives a great overview with several videos and writing samples. Just scroll down and you'll find them. And it's all in Japanese so that should be no problem for you.

Cheers,
    Peter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

While I don't maintain a list, I know I would like a
    1. Micarta
    2. Pelikan of some sort but I have not decided yet.
    3. TWSBI Diamond 540 in smoke
    4. A Mont Blanc 149 or a 146... whichever comes first.
    5. An Edison Collier
    6. Sailor 1911
    7. Edison Nouveau Premiere
    8. Edison Nouveau LE pen.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterpen53 View Post
    Well, if you have to write Japanese characters that would make sense. Just being curious: why would you have to write Japanese? I always find those languages that use totally different characters from ours very fascinating, even though to me totally illegible.
    Did you also have a look at Pilot's Custom range? Maybe not as spectacular as the Sailor specialty nibs but they do have a very broad range. This page http://www.asahiyakami.co.jp/shop/pi..._custom743.htm
    gives a great overview with several videos and writing samples. Just scroll down and you'll find them. And it's all in Japanese so that should be no problem for you.

Cheers,
    Peter
    Thanks for the link! I didn't know that Pilot had that range of nibs. They mainly differ in softness and are more "practical/universal" than the specialty nibs of Sailor.
    The price is comparable to that of the "normal" Sailor nibs, so it might be a good alternative (=> updated my list).

As to why I have to write in Japanese: I studied Japanese and I am currently working in the library of the department of Japanese studies of my University.

@Pilot Custom 823:
    Your link goes to the custom 743, but from there I went to the page of the custom 823: Its plunger mechanism, and that it can completely seal of the ink flow to the feed for travelling/flying, is really interesting (although it might become a nuisance when one just wants to write a quick note).
    Last edited by Pinkys.Brain; February 26th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.

jor412

I have 4 on my list, in no particular order:
    1. Edison Mina with a cursive italic nib
    2. Platinum pen with music nib
    3. Pelikan 400 WT with a fine nib
    4. TWSBI 700

Thanks

Super nice to read from your lists. Some repeat some not. Peterpen I like the looks of the delta a lot, and the nib would be a plus, but have also read that not all the titanium nibs are equal, some more springy than others.
    Fountain pen kid, you are into vintage nice choices.
    I will wait and see if I can resist for a couple of months before getting one from my list.

Thanks

Hm, so far everyone wants some pen from Twsbi and from Edison. I expected more Montblancs (maybe everyone already had one...).

p.s.: I just saw an abomination of a pen... Need to wash out my eyes...
    Last edited by Pinkys.Brain; February 26th, 2012 at 05:42 PM.

jor412

Hm, so far everyone wants some pen from Twsbi and from Edison. I expected more Montblancs (maybe everyone already had one...).

LOL Definitely not a pen I would buy.

Thanks

Don't you think this is cute? You should see the wide-body airliners they paint for Kitty!

Glad the link was of use to you and I was aware of a similar page for the 823. And credit where credit's due, I found the link in a post on the FPN forum for Pens from the Land of the Rising Sun. On Youtube you can find a video on how to fully fill the 823. Search for username dizzypen.
    There's just one thing about the Pilot Custom line: I have yet to find a place or site in Europe where they can be bought. Even Pilot itself only shows the Capless/Vanishing Point on its European website. Which leaves American or Japanese sites, or eBay.
    Last edited by peterpen53; February 27th, 2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: completeness

Thanks

I thought about it for a while and then I went through my pen-related notes and bookmarks etc. That was very sobering, because I will never be able to afford all that in the next few years. So I will give you the 10 or so that stand out most, not in any particular order.

1. Lamy 2000. I have held out far too long already on this icon of pen design.
    2. Omas Milord Wild Celluloid. Probably my current grail pen. We need dreams don't we?
    3. Namiki Falcon. I want to try that strange-looking nib. This will be in my pen case before the end of the year for sure.
    4. Pilot Custom 823. Interesting filling system, especially since you can watch it work with that transparent body. A pen that gets good reviews.
    5. Pilot Custom 845. Urushi. Another one of those dreams. Can I have two grail pens?
    6. TWSBI 1.1 mm stub. Expect this one very soon. Probably with a 1.5 mm unit to go with it.
    7. A customized Edison Pearl. I really appreciate Brian's work and I like that I can influence how my pen will look and write. Another strong candidate for this year.
    8. Another Edison, probably a Mina or maybe a Collier or Herald Grande, whatever tickles my fancy at the time.
    9. Aurora Talentum. A tall pen if I ever saw one and they make their own italic nibs.
    10. Any Pilot pen that will accommodate their range of special nibs (the above mentioned Pilots don't).
    11. I would like a Bexley Poseidon sometime, perhaps even a Magnum. I like big pens and this one reminds me of a blown-up Pelikan 100.
    12. The Kipling is currently the Conway-Stewart that appeals to me most. No hurry.

So what do you think? Any surprises (there were some for me!)?

Cheers,
    Peter
    Last edited by peterpen53; February 28th, 2012 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    While I don't maintain a list, I know I would like a
    1. Micarta
    2. Pelikan of some sort but I have not decided yet.
    3. TWSBI Diamond 540 in smoke
    4. A Mont Blanc 149 or a 146... whichever comes first.
    5. An Edison Collier
    6. Sailor 1911
    7. Edison Nouveau Premiere
    8. Edison Nouveau LE pen.
    I forgot to add a Bexley BX802 in Cracked Ice but I can scratch that off the list now.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lince View Post
    Peterpen I like the looks of the delta a lot, and the nib would be a plus, but have also read that not all the titanium nibs are equal, some more springy than others.
    I have heard these rumours too and also that they might damage easily if flexed too much. So I just consider myself lucky and try to be careful.

Thanks

In no particular order and this may change next week, probably definitely by next month after another pen show has passed.

1) Pelikan 800 in red. No wait, blue. no, red. ok, maybe both?
    2) Waterman 452 in moderne or "Night and Day" overlay. Someday.
    3) A Montblanc. No idea which model. Had a 124 which I thought was a classy looking pen, but neither Lisa nor I could write with it.
    4) Old Style faceted Vanishing Point in burgundy, preferably one that writes well. We have all the other colors in the old style.
    5) Waterman 58 - user grade even. Massive pen.

None of these I would consider urgent, but they have all been on the list. The VP will probably be the first one, even if I were presented with all five at once on a table and could pick anyone I wanted.

Cheers!
    Brian

Thanks

These are the pens I aspire to and thoughts about when/how I'd get them:

1) Noodler's Konrad -- as soon as available
    2) TWSBI Vac 700 -- as soon as available
    3) Edison model TBD likely production model or group buy -- soonish, maybe Father's Day gift (my wife also wants a pricey Mother's Day gift)
    4) Stipula Vedo likely soon -- hoping to sell some mostly Parkers I no longer want to finance this one
    5) Visconti Homo Sapiens (unsure of bronze or steel) -- hoping to buy this if/when I get a big work promotion -- could be 2012
    6) Edison custom bulb filler model TBD, Gate City Postal, or similar -- hoping to buy this if/when I hit a major weight loss goal -- likely 2013 or beyond

Thanks

Wish list 2012/2013:

--Edison Collier in "Antique Marble" colour
    --Sheaffer Intensity in the "Medici" pattern
    --TWSBI Vac700 (not sure what colour to get, though.... )
    --TWSBI Mini (likely in the "clear" colour, to match my Diamond 530)
    --Another Noodler's Ahab pen (love my Charon's Panther --thanks Dan & Eric!)
    --A couple of factory stub nibs for my modern Conklin/Monteverde pens