Thread: EFNIR: Platinum Chou Kuro

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 593 Posts

Default EFNIR: Platinum Chou Kuro

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Platinum Chou Kuro

This is review #280 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Most reviews focus on the blackness, waterproofness, and cleaning. Precious few actually talk about how it writes or behaves in the pen. So, I'll comment on everything I can think of about this ink.

I pre-cleaned with distilled water and the ultrasonic cleaner, then allowed everything to dry *before* I inked the pen. Given the images others have posted of the ink's reaction with tap vs distilled water, I thought it might give my pen a little better chance if any residue from tap water was cleaned off ahead of time.

When put on thin enough, this is a warm dark grey (see microscope smear). That surprised me - I thought it would be a black hole even in thin applications, but no. When enough is applied, it is blacker than my darkest inks (see video comparisons). In heaviest application, it looks wet - sort of shiny or almost silvery sheen (see video). My other blacks were mostly cooler, and quite a few turn grey in comparison. A few still seemed black, but not as black. Of note is the Pilot Black for Parallel pens - historically, that swatch has seemed solid black to me. Now it seems solid, darkest cool grey.

Also of note are De Atramentis Document Black, Noodler's Heart of Darkness, and Noodler's Black (when applied heavily). These three held up best against Chou Kuro. And Noodler's Black was most similar in color and in how much blacker it is in heavy application.

This ink was gifted to me by an Instagram friend. In the sample vial, it sloshes around easily and stays together. It doesn't cling to or try to stain the walls. There was no sign of settling as some other pigmented inks do. It does form quite a lot of bubbles when you shake it up. Some dried to a solid on the threads, but it did re-wet, so it may not be the end of the world if it dries in a pen, but you'd have a hard time cleaning it out, so I highly recommend against that - use a pen that seals well.

When writing in my journal (generally in cursive and constant writing), I had no flow problems, but the longer the pen was inked, the less the pen liked to start writing - the first strokes were not as solid (you can see this in some images). Doing logic puzzles (about 48 hours after inking), the pen ran dry. The paper was thick copy paper. I was making dots, Xs, and lines, and writing constantly - it was a simpler puzzle, so no need for pauses and capping. Wiping the back of the nib on the paper and then scribbling some lines brought it back to life, only to happen a second time. After repeating the process, it flowed better. So, it seems like this ink won't take very long pauses without drying on the nib. A wetter nib might not have this problem. The problem did not recur on subsequent days, even when doing more logic puzzles. I did have flow problems near the end of the doodle and flossed the tines to get it flowing well again (that doodle was a demanding task for the ink).

Cleaning was not bad. I put some distilled water in a stainless steel measuring cup and dropped the nib and feed in there with the disc and agitator ball from the cartridge. I rinsed the section and cartridge with a couple syringe-fulls of distilled water, then put everything into an ultrasonic cleaner with a little distilled water and ran it once. I don't think that was needed, it was just easiest. The cartridge seemed stained (sort of a warm brownish grey), but nothing else. The ink seems to come off non-porous surfaces quite easily, though with agitation (e.g. I had to wipe it off my stainless steel sink when I got some on it). It also comes quite easily off skin (more easily than many even non-permanent inks)!

NOTE: Given the claim of blackest black, I went ahead and compared not only swatches, but also the review pages from all my former blacks to see if one can distinguish this from other blacks in writing from a Japanese EF. There were so many blacks that looked just as black to me that I didn't bother to try to capture comparison photos - any differences are likely too subtle to distinguish. There were also many that looked distinctly greyish. But IMO, if you're using a Japanese EF nib, this ink may not be different enough to justify the cost.

Note on Shading and Sheen: Though I put "None", technically, it will shade in a dry-enough application, but I'm not sure a normal nib will get it that thin. The circular/disc dip nib I use for making swatches these days can do it. As to sheen, mostly, there's nothing, but in heavy application, when held at an angle to the light, you see what looks like sheen, or maybe like the ink is wet. I think it's just light reflecting off thick ink. I've seen this in some writing in my Hobonichi (52gsm Tomoe River paper) and on the swatch card. (See the video for an example from my doodle.)

All in all, if you want the blackest black and don't choke on the price or the distilled water for cleaning, this is your ink!

This is a very cool PDF from Platinum about this ink.

Zoomed in photo (I think the broken lines are because the ink sometimes dries on the nib. Once it gets going, the lines aren't quite as broken.)

Screenshot

Scan of Completed Review

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper)

Line width ("1" in "10" in dry-time test. Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 248µm. With 280 inks measured, the average line width is 296µm.) (Holy opacity, Batman! Note the red spots - that usually means sheen. I used a different line because the usual ones weren't representative (drying on the nib, I think), but it's still thin!)

Microscope image (100x. Looks very much like pretty much all pigmented inks look - granular, pattern that looks like the edges of clouds or the build-up of multiple layers of mineral deposits at a hot spring.)

Water Test Results

Other (Toward the end of this doodle (the curves at the top), the pen was struggling and needed a bit of flossing and rest to refill the feed - not sure we can fault pen or ink - I was putting down a lot of ink in a short time.)

Previous Review: Pilot Mixable Colour Light-green.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 9th, 2024), catbert (April 9th, 2024), junglejim (April 11th, 2024), Lithium466 (April 9th, 2024), Robert (April 9th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (April 9th, 2024), Yazeh (April 9th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,509 Times in 1,758 Posts

Default Re: EFNIR: Platinum Chou Kuro

Holy Mud Monster, Quin!

The mystery deepens. Like, wowsville, duude. So like who's really the High Wizard? (Sorry for going all Beatnik there). To the tune of rattlesnakes and groans.

Liz, thanks so much for the Tuesday Treat, and for reviewing an ink I surely do not want in my arsenal. Fascinating and thorough, nevetheless! I do not have any of the comparison inks this time.

And I absolutely love the story.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

LizEF (April 9th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Holy Mud Monster, Quin!

The mystery deepens. Like, wowsville, duude. So like who's really the High Wizard? (Sorry for going all Beatnik there). To the tune of rattlesnakes and groans.

Liz, thanks so much for the Tuesday Treat, and for reviewing an ink I surely do not want in my arsenal. Fascinating and thorough, nevetheless! I do not have any of the comparison inks this time.
    You're most welcome!

And I absolutely love the story.
    Thank you!

Thanks

First, thanks for the most comprehensive and sensible review yet of this ink. I've spent three days champing at the bit anticipating it.

This ink, and the hype surrounding it, bring to mind that old "picking the fly shit from the pepper" routine. I'll allow that some artists may want/desire/need a more deeply intense black ink. But then, that's why India ink ($6.50 for a 2 oz. bottle). For those of us running fountain pens and usually just dumping text of one sort or another on paper, black is pretty much just black. For years, I used Noodle's Eel Black in pens I used for black ink and permanence. Recently I switched to DeAtramentis Document Black and loaded my Pilot Custom 823 for most writing uses. With a medium nib, it creates a line that is as black as I think it's possible to get on most paper.

My bottom line is, I think this is simply a marketing gimmick from Platinum. Jack up the price to twice as much to make it seem more valuable, and create a mystique around it claiming it should only be cleaned out with distilled water. Looks like an excellent business school lesson to me.

This is current pricing for permanent black inks:

DeAtramentis Document Black (45 ml) $21.50

Noodles Eel Black (3 oz 89 ml) $15.00

Platinum Carbon Black (60 ml) $32.00

Platinum Chou Kuro (60 ml) $60.00

Finally, to address the finickiness of Platinum Carbon Black... I have a Platinum Desk Pen that uses Platinum Carbon Black ink cartridges. It's had a cartridge in it for several years now, and even if unused for months at a time, it writes perfectly any time I pick it up. I've also used the ink in various pens with cartridge converters and never had any usage problems or difficulties cleaning it out.

Again, thanks for an excellent effort. I wish the product had really been worth your time.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

LizEF (April 9th, 2024), Yazeh (April 9th, 2024)

Thanks

Oh, and regarding the "Platinum PDF" you referenced...

Item 3 --- they do not specify what paper they used. They simply refer to it as "our test paper." That, of course, makes it essentially meaningless.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

LizEF (April 9th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,351 Times in 2,291 Posts

This I won't be looking forward to using with all the cleaning regiments , thanks for a thorough review and creative video editing I had to check all the images, the video clips, read all the comments before I could settle down and read about Quin and the "high" / "low" wizard / Lizard

Thank you for reviewing this ink and bringing some magic with your art and story to a post-eclipse day

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

LizEF (April 9th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    First, thanks for the most comprehensive and sensible review yet of this ink. I've spent three days champing at the bit anticipating it.
    You're very welcome! I hope it was worth it.

This ink, and the hype surrounding it, bring to mind that old "picking the fly shit from the pepper" routine. I'll allow that some artists may want/desire/need a more deeply intense black ink. But then, that's why India ink ($6.50 for a 2 oz. bottle). For those of us running fountain pens and usually just dumping text of one sort or another on paper, black is pretty much just black. For years, I used Noodle's Eel Black in pens I used for black ink and permanence. Recently I switched to DeAtramentis Document Black and loaded my Pilot Custom 823 for most writing uses. With a medium nib, it creates a line that is as black as I think it's possible to get on most paper.

My bottom line is, I think this is simply a marketing gimmick from Platinum. Jack up the price to twice as much to make it seem more valuable, and create a mystique around it claiming it should only be cleaned out with distilled water. Looks like an excellent business school lesson to me.

This is current pricing for permanent black inks:

DeAtramentis Document Black (45 ml) $21.50

Noodles Eel Black (3 oz 89 ml) $15.00

Platinum Carbon Black (60 ml) $32.00

Platinum Chou Kuro (60 ml) $60.00
    Well, marketing gimmick or technical accomplishment, I wouldn't know, but as I said, in just plain writing, with a Japanese EF, I'm not sure one can tell the difference. But I confess that I don't have the best color perception, so artists and others may well see things I don't... Whatever the case, hopefully folks have enough info to decide for themselves...

Finally, to address the finickiness of Platinum Carbon Black... I have a Platinum Desk Pen that uses Platinum Carbon Black ink cartridges. It's had a cartridge in it for several years now, and even if unused for months at a time, it writes perfectly any time I pick it up. I've also used the ink in various pens with cartridge converters and never had any usage problems or difficulties cleaning it out.
    Tas over on FPN said something similar about PCB. It seems to be a very good ink, especially in Platinum pens... (His comments on PCB are where my story idea for "happy tears of silkworms" came from.)

Again, thanks for an excellent effort. I wish the product had really been worth your time.
    You're very welcome! I was glad to do a review of the ink and cover as much as I could. In that respect, it was worth it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 9th, 2024), Yazeh (April 9th, 2024)

Thanks

Oh, and regarding the "Platinum PDF" you referenced...

Item 3 --- they do not specify what paper they used. They simply refer to it as "our test paper." That, of course, makes it essentially meaningless.
    Yeah, it would be nice if they'd been specific there.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 9th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    This I won't be looking forward to using with all the cleaning regiments ...
    Once you resolve to use distilled water to rinse and then just toss it in the ultrasonic to let it do all the work, it's actually not difficult. It's making the resolution to do something different that's the hard part. Though I think one of these (full of distilled water) would have made the rinsing easier (if the image doesn't show, a laboratory wash bottle with an angled tube/spout):

... thanks for a thorough review and creative video editing ...
    You're most welcome!

... I had to check all the images, the video clips, read all the comments before I could settle down and read about Quin and the "high" / "low" wizard / Lizard
    Thank you for taking the time!

Thank you for reviewing this ink and bringing some magic with your art and story to a post-eclipse day
    Gladly!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 9th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,263 Posts

Thank you so much Liz for demystifying this one - I am clearly not alone in really appreciating the time and effort.

I don't have it yet, but have been considering it, even at the rather silly price point, for when my current bottle of carbon black runs out (which will be rather sooner than I'd expected). I'm still not convinced. Whilst the whole cleaning thing is less of an issue when using dedicated pens, I find the warnings about tap water offputting - I wonder if spit counts?

Meanwhile, what on earth is going on at the palace. Has there been a time shift? Is Quin losing his marbles? I can hardly wait until next week!

And I love the zentangley artwork!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 9th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (April 9th, 2024), Yazeh (April 9th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Thank you so much Liz for demystifying this one - I am clearly not alone in really appreciating the time and effort.
    You're most welcome!

I don't have it yet, but have been considering it, even at the rather silly price point, for when my current bottle of carbon black runs out (which will be rather sooner than I'd expected). I'm still not convinced. Whilst the whole cleaning thing is less of an issue when using dedicated pens, I find the warnings about tap water offputting - I wonder if spit counts?
    I expect anything with minerals or other solids to which the ink could "attach" would be a problem. The cleaning wasn't as annoying as I might have expected, but perhaps that's because I'd planned it out ahead of time and resigned myself to it (a lot of frustration is entirely in our heads and once we stop resisting what must be, it ceases to be as annoying). But I don't have the motivation to want to do it all the time. If I had some need or strong desire for this specific ink, then I don't think it would bother me at all, but the ink is black (and I don't use black inks) and I have no particular need or desire for it, so...

Meanwhile, what on earth is going on at the palace. Has there been a time shift? Is Quin losing his marbles? I can hardly wait until next week!

And I love the zentangley artwork!
    Thank you!