Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have We Reached The Tipping Point?

Thanks

Default Re: Have We Reached The Tipping Point?

Well why didn't ya just say so, guy? I've got ALL KINDS of cryptocoins out the yingyang, & I'll sell you a boatload at bargain prices! Just send me all your dollars (USA preferred, but...you know.) (Just, no Canadian, ummkay?) and I'll send you an e-mail, telegram or even a private message, your preference [how's THAT for great customer service?!?] telling you how much you've won.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 672 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
    Well why didn't ya just say so, guy? I've got ALL KINDS of cryptocoins out the yingyang, & I'll sell you a boatload at bargain prices! Just send me all your dollars (USA preferred, but...you know.) (Just, no Canadian, ummkay?) and I'll send you an e-mail, telegram or even a private message, your preference [how's THAT for great customer service?!?] telling you how much you've won.
    I'd take you up on the generous offer, except I don't want any crypto that's come out of your yingyang. Nothing personal... it's just too much work to launder crypto these days.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Niner (April 28th, 2024), Stands on Feet (April 28th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,972 Times in 1,450 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

I take people seriously, and I take community seriously. The loss of both friends and a once vibrant cohort of knowledgable and enthusiastic pen friends bothers me. I've never asked anyone else to share that same feeling, but I remain surprised that anyone takes the trashing of a resource like that so cavalierly. It is what it is.
    I agree with Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    .... I will stipulate that you may have "friends" here on this forum, but only if they are people you actually know. Perhaps you know them from pen shows, pen club or maybe your bowling league. Others, like me, are simply ones and zeros lighting up a monitor shooting light beams into your eyeballs. Emotional connections with users here is essentially a fantasy. Enjoy the fantasy, if you will, but don't confuse it with reality.

I also believe that it is possible to maintain interesting relationships even if there is no physical contact. Be it personal contacts or via a platform like this one. Of course, they do not replace personal meetings, but it is still communication between two human beings, which always has an emotional component.

As far as spam is concerned, I think it should be ignored (we members without administration rights have no other option).

I even think that discussions like this one don't get us anywhere. To keep this forum alive we should invest our time and energy in real content. As soon as too much space is given to garbage, it's over.
    Last edited by christof; April 28th, 2024 at 08:57 AM.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 28th, 2024), carlos.q (April 28th, 2024), catbert (April 28th, 2024), Lloyd (April 28th, 2024), mizgeorge (April 28th, 2024), welch (April 30th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 666 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post

I agree with Jon.

.... I will stipulate that you may have "friends" here on this forum, but only if they are people you actually know. Perhaps you know them from pen shows, pen club or maybe your bowling league. Others, like me, are simply ones and zeros lighting up a monitor shooting light beams into your eyeballs. Emotional connections with users here is essentially a fantasy. Enjoy the fantasy, if you will, but don't confuse it with reality.

I also believe that it is possible to maintain interesting relationships even if there is no physical contact. Be it personal contacts or via a platform like this one. Of course, they do not replace personal meetings, but it is still communication between two human beings, which always has an emotional component.

As far as spam is concerned, I think it should be ignored (we members without administration rights have no other option).

I even think that discussions like this one don't get us anywhere. To keep this forum alive we should invest our time and energy in real content. As soon as too much space is given to garbage, it's over.
    Besides how do we know he hasn't actually met up with members on here? A lot of folks do travel, and also visit pen shows and so forth, and correspond in other ways besides forums. Like Pen Pals wasn't a thing...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 28th, 2024), catbert (April 28th, 2024), christof (April 28th, 2024)

Thanks

Chum the forum,
    Feed the frenzy.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

724Seney (April 28th, 2024), dneal (April 29th, 2024)

Thanks

Interesting, in all my musings about this I've only ever considered online communications. But the "pen pal" concept goes far back and adds a different dimension. Fun to think about.

Talking about letter writing, here's something I learned in a biography of John Audubon. He traveled a lot and wrote a lot of letters. In those time and places, paper could be very scarce so people would sometimes get a letter and to reply they would simply turn the original document 90 degrees and write over the previous text. Not the most readable, but effective.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (April 29th, 2024), catbert (April 28th, 2024), christof (April 28th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,849 Times in 1,169 Posts

Interesting, in all my musings about this I've only ever considered online communications. But the "pen pal" concept goes far back and adds a different dimension. Fun to think about.

Talking about letter writing, here's something I learned in a biography of John Audubon. He traveled a lot and wrote a lot of letters. In those time and places, paper could be very scarce so people would sometimes get a letter and to reply they would simply turn the original document 90 degrees and write over the previous text. Not the most readable, but effective.
    And sometimes the letter writer would continue their own text at right angles before sending.
    https://rosenbach.org/blog/cross-wri...cross-reading/

A particularly challenging example at the end of this post:
    https://blogs.bl.uk/untoldlives/2018...s-hatched.html

I feel a contrasting shade of ink for the cross-wise text might improve legibility …

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 28th, 2024), christof (April 28th, 2024), Lloyd (April 28th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 578 Posts

I’ve had dinner with Jon but we didn’t meet here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    I feel a contrasting shade of ink for the cross-wise text might improve legibility …
    Keep in mind that in those times they didn't have the variety of hues &c we enjoy today. I remember in my family household (c.50's->) we had a small writing desk with paper, envelopes, a pen or two, & a solitary ink bottle. We used what we happened to have at hand, and I can't remember us having anything but black.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,849 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Keep in mind that in those times they didn't have the variety of hues &c we enjoy today. I remember in my family household (c.50's->) we had a small writing desk with paper, envelopes, a pen or two, & a solitary ink bottle. We used what we happened to have at hand, and I can't remember us having anything but black.
    Yup — me too. I meant it might be done more legibly today.

Thanks

All,

Just my 2 cents. Let's just leave things as they are and wade through as needed. It's no big deal to me and I hate spam as much as anyone.

I have had the privilege of acquiring some nice pens here, not to mention really, REALLY good people!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

christof (April 29th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
    All,

Just my 2 cents. Let's just leave things as they are and wade through as needed. It's no big deal to me and I hate spam as much as anyone.

I have had the privilege of acquiring some nice pens here, not to mention really, REALLY good people!
    I also feel that way on days when I am more resilient.

Other days.....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dougc For This Useful Post:

gloucesterman-18 (April 29th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 672 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
    All,

What's your trick to acquiring really good people from here? I always find the shipping on people too expensive.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Stands on Feet (April 29th, 2024)