Thread: Good ink for a piston type pen? (~Plus bottle type important also!)

Thanks

Default Good ink for a piston type pen? (~Plus bottle type important also!)

I just ordered a beautiful yellow TWSBI ECO piston type FP. It'll be my first FP that will use bottled ink instead of cartridges and I know almost nuthin' about bottled inks. ~So what might be a good ink to use with this pen? Also, with my fumbly hands I suspect I sh get a heavier ink bottle with a large firm bottom; ~little tippy bottles would not work well for me! ~Colors are optional, but I am leaning towards a darker green/black? ~Thanks for any suggestions here......

Thanks
    Thanked 10,526 Times in 4,026 Posts

Default Re: Good ink for a piston type pen? (~Plus bottle type important also!)

There are literally thousands of fountain pen inks that are suitable for your TWSBI. Half of everyone who answers will give you their favourites. The other half will be spammers.

If you don't want to stain your TWSBI barrel use a non-staining water based ink. Even TWSBI make a decent selection of ink colours.

You should decide what basic colours you're interested in then look at online stores in the country where you live and choose something you like when you've seen bottle shapes and ink descriptions. Some online retailers give you charts and lots of assistance in choosing colours. Be guided by them and your own selections. Ink is very much a personal choice and isn't something that someone else can do for you. Put in a bit of time to get exactly what you want and don't let others choose for you.
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 27th, 2024 at 02:44 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 27th, 2024), Skip (April 27th, 2024), welch (May 4th, 2024), Yazeh (April 27th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,387 Times in 2,303 Posts

Whatever @Chrissy said. Where are you located? Depending where you are your choices can be different. Also do you want water resistant inks or just basic "normal" inks.
    Two inks which come to mind, Noodler's Zhivago, semi waterproof
    Diamine Dark Forrest / Green Black

Thanks
    Thanked 10,526 Times in 4,026 Posts

I don't have the need to use waterproof or semi-waterproof inks so wouldn't use any Noodlers ink in any of my TWSBI Diamond 580 pens. In fact I would not even use one in any of my Eco pens. LOL. I don't know if any of them would stain the barrel. Nor are they in what I would refer to as a stable bottle being tall and slim and filled right to the top. If I had to nominate a stable bottle I would start with shapes like Waterman and Pelikan.

You can take your TWSBI apart to clean inside the barrel but I have found it a slightly risky job. The more often you do it the more likely you are to get a barrel crack.

This is the kind of thing that you have to choose for yourself.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 27th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,451 Times in 2,525 Posts

It's the kind of pen you can put most any fountain pen ink in it. Go wild with your choices.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (April 27th, 2024), welch (May 4th, 2024)

Thanks

With piston fillers waterproof inks can be more cumbersome to clean out than the water soluble ones. Even if they are meant for fountain pens, others are more forgiving when it comes to drying up and still be easy to flush out. Just be a bit more careful with this type of ink.

The jars on the Pelikan Edelstein line have a heavier glass bottom than most, quite sturdy on the table, 50 ml. The full size jars of Pelikan 4001 (62.5ml), and any full size jar of Parker Quink should be fine too. I always keep a jar of Pelikan 4001 dark green and the blue-black is nice too. These are my basics and my point of reference when trying other inks. Diamine 80ml. bottles are on the sturdy side too, and a lot of ink for the money. I have not yet tried them, but Pilot`s Iroshizuku line (or something like that), have sturdy looking jars too, and they have often been mentioned here on the forum. Those tiny plastic bottles some inks come in are not user friendly at all (I still keep buying Diamine Burgundy Rose for the color).

Thanks

Much thanks to all who replied! ~I went with Pilot's Iroshizuku Dark Turquoise water-based ink. I liked the color a lot, and also that it's water based as I don't want to stain the barrel of my new TWSBI ECO piston pen. I have no need currently of a more permanent type FP ink anyway...
    I also liked that it comes in a big 50ml bottle with a solid square bottom, so I don't have to be nervous about tipping when refilling. (Also was on sale for $15 which didn't hurt?) ~Not everyone's reasons for buying a certain ink I'm sure, but folks did advise me to go with what made me happy, and I did...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:

welch (May 4th, 2024)