Thread: Parker Vacuumatic issues

Thanks

Default Parker Vacuumatic issues

I picked this up at a garage sale. The pen seems to be in very good condition. The issue is that the base of the pen shaft does not come off. It swivels but will not come off of the the plunger. Am I doing it wrong? How hard is it to refurbish this pen? Thanks in advance. DSC00439.JPG

Thanks

Default Re: Parker Vacuumatic issues

Hi Edteach,

Looks like a great wee pen. You should read up as much as possible about how to fix vacs (there's lots out there). The parts on the right of the picture are the blind cap and the threaded collar that holds the filler parts in the barrel. Usually it takes a special tool to get the collar out of the barrel, and it's handy to have for replacement. The first challenge will be getting the collar out of the blindcap. Be careful with the threads on the collar-- they are usually aluminum, but sometimes plastic. If they get damadged they can damage the celluloid barrel in turn upon re-insertion.

Good luck!

Ralf

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ralfstc For This Useful Post:

welch (May 4th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,451 Times in 2,525 Posts

For a better understanding, see Richard Binder's pages:
    http://www.richardspens.com/ref/profiles/vac.htm
    http://www.richardspens.com/ref/repair/vac.htm
    http://www.richardspens.com/ref/anatomy/vac.htm

Note his caution: Some Vacumatic and Duofold models made during World War II have fillers in which one or both collars are made of plastic instead of metal; the plastic retaining collars are softer than aluminum and sometimes cannot be removed and reinstalled without being destroyed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 402 Posts

I think that this is just a case where the thread bushing got stuck in the blind cap. It will come out easily enough. Just make sure that you protect the threads when you unscrew them. A piece of fuel line hose slit down the side and slipped over the threads before gripping with pliers, or use spark plug boot pullers to grip, and unscrew the blind cap. I would expect to have the pen restored, so you can let the pen mechanic take care of it for you.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (May 1st, 2024), welch (May 4th, 2024)

Thanks

I got it all apart no issues. A hair dryer on the section and it came right out. The ball was a plastic ball and I just took a needle and kept breaking it up till the parts fell out. Waiting on the sac. The info I found is 1 1/16 to cut the sac. I am not going to buy the tool to install it. I have a set of punches I can use. I also did not need the tool for the threaded part that holds the plunger in. I will use a small bit of shellac to install it and that way it can be removed easily if need be. I have some old talcum powder to use on the sac. I lucked out on the plunger in that it came out first and the cap twisted off easily. Should make a great pen wen finished.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 402 Posts

A couple of comments. The diaphragm should be cut to a length that allows the diaphragm to unroll completely when the rod is pushed all of the way down, but without stretching. Open end up to the ridge on the cone, not over. You shouldn't need any shellac. The hole in the pellet cup should hold the diaphragm in place just by friction. As a matter of fact, no shellac anywhere on the filler or diaphragm.

One more thing - make sure that all of the diaphragm is cleaned off of the seat in the barrel. If it isn't the thread bushing will stick out a bit past the end of the barrel. Scrape around the seat, not across so that you don't gouge the seat and make a path for air to get into the barrel. The end of the diaphragm acts as gasket, and gets compressed between the ring and the cone, sealing the back end.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

welch (May 4th, 2024)

Thanks

I'd also ask how punches can replace the tool used to tighten the collar in the body?Just curious regarding the plan.

Thanks,

Ralf

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ralfstc View Post
    I'd also ask how punches can replace the tool used to tighten the collar in the body?Just curious regarding the plan.

Thanks,

Ralf
    You don't need to tighten in the collar down that tight. A very thin ring of shellac followed by a thin ring of silicone grease on the top rings will secure the collar just fine. As far as seating the ball, two of the sellers of pen parts said you can install the ball with your finger most times. A punch or wood dowel will do just fine. As long as you are careful and do not jab at it.

Thanks

This video is a good one to get an idea of what to do. The poster used the tool but its obvious you don't need it. I will also not shellac the section. Just some silicone grease. Poster used talc and I have an old bottle of pure talc from the 50s that will work fine.https://youtu.be/m-sDXYNvVbw

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 578 Posts

And just to be clear about what Ron said in case it was missed.

No shellac on the threads of the jamb nut.

Thanks

It sounds like the pen might have a screw mechanism that's gotten stuck. Try applying a little bit of penetrating oil at the joint where the shaft meets the plunger, let it sit for a few minutes, and then gently try to twist it open again.