Thread: Akkerman Orange Boven

Thanks

Default Akkerman Orange Boven

Akkerman Orange Boven.
    Pen is a Sheaffer Viewpoint with 1.1mm stub nib.
    Paper used is GP 24 lb Premium Ink and Laser Paper, Tomoe River, and standard composition notebook.

This is a bright orange ink. If you like bright inks, and I do, you should like this one.

Nice, bright orange, dark enough and bold enough to be clearly legible.

Although the 1.1 mm stub nib in this pen is fairly wet, on both the Tomoe River and the 24# copy it dried to the touch in less than 15 seconds, while on the standard composition paper it took about 5 seconds.

Bleed on the Tomoe River was only present in the heavy scribbles used to test dry time, and although, again, this nib is fairly wet, the copy paper as well as the composition paper showed less bleed than most other inks I have thus far reviewed.

Shading with this ink is practically nonexistent, although I did pick up the barest hint under a magnifying lens.

This ink really shows the difference that paper can make to an ink or a nib's characteristics, with the Tomoe River delivering what for me is a pretty fine line for this nib and pen, while the composition paper was an ugly, absorptive and feathery mess. The 24# copy paper IMO is a good middle ground, displaying the broadness of this nib to it's full potential, while also giving a good representation of this ink's color and line.

Water resistance is pretty much zero.

All things considered this is a very nice orange ink that flows well and feels good even in this fairly cheap nib.

Information found on the interwebs says that this ink was developed by Akkerman to celebrate their 100th Anniversary.

Orange Boven, or Orange Above, is a Dutch folk song about the bond between the people of the Netherlands and the Dutch Royal family.

It is this reviewer's opinion that it is aptly named. There is certainly a bright, celebratory nature to this color, and were I of Dutch royalty I might be proud to think that it represented my people's regard for me and mine.

Price is around $28-$29 per 60 ml.

Thanks for reading my review.
    Last edited by Fountain Pen Mike; January 25th, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fountain Pen Mike For This Useful Post:

KKay (January 25th, 2017), laurielindly (January 29th, 2017), Marsilius (February 2nd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Akkerman Orange Boven

Thank you, Mike, for the review. Did you buy a bottle or just get a sample? Are you drawn to orange ink, in general, or did you just happen upon this one?
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

laurielindly (January 29th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: Akkerman Orange Boven

I have a sample. It was actually won in a PIF on The Fountain Pen Network about a month ago. Between what you have generously PIFed, and this one, I have a bunch of great inks to go through, and I'll be reviewing as many as I can.
    I really have to thank you again, because it is really giving me insight into not only what I like in an ink, but an opportunity to sample a wide variety of inks, and choose the best of them for purchase.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fountain Pen Mike For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 25th, 2017), laurielindly (January 29th, 2017)