Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: TWSBI Classic ! (?)

Thanks

Default Re: TWSBI Classic ! (?)

I'm a wee bit confused. I thought Koyote's leak was somewhere between the barrel and section join. Woody, where's the gap you noticed? At the end of the barrel with piston threads, or the other end with section threads?

FPK, which threads are 'sliding'? If it's the barrel-to-section threads, they look like they are part of the ink window itself. If they're loose, I wonder what's bonding the ink window to the rest of the barrel? Is it threaded? Some sort of adhesive?
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

Thanks

Flounder, maybe I mis-understood Woody's post. Looking forward to learning more.

My pen was indeed leaking from around the ink window -- I think right below it, where the section threads into the barrel in Dan's video. Can't be sure, though, as it was apparently just a seep and I could not see a gap.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I'm a wee bit confused. I thought Koyote's leak was somewhere between the barrel and section join. Woody, where's the gap you noticed? At the end of the barrel with piston threads, or the other end with section threads?

FPK, which threads are 'sliding'? If it's the barrel-to-section threads, they look like they are part of the ink window itself. If they're loose, I wonder what's bonding the ink window to the rest of the barrel? Is it threaded? Some sort of adhesive?
    The threads that connect the piston assembly to the barrel of the pen silde with a good amount of pressure. It's not like I can slide them with my finger, or that I can hear something, but after an hour or so of trying to get my piston back in with maximum ink capacity without having a gap b/w knob and barrel, I pressed the knob into the barrel and I closed the gap.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

The threads that connect the piston assembly to the barrel of the pen silde with a good amount of pressure. It's not like I can slide them with my finger, or that I can hear something, but after an hour or so of trying to get my piston back in with maximum ink capacity without having a gap b/w knob and barrel, I pressed the knob into the barrel and I closed the gap.
    I was able to remove the gap by disassembling the piston unit, threading the piston knob (#13 in the diagram below) onto the connector (#11) with the screw bolt (#12) removed and pressing the two together. What this does is seat the black plastic piece inside the piston knob deeper into the knob, thus removing the gap between the piston knob and the barrel.

TWSBI parts diagram.jpeg

Thanks

I like mine which arrived today, my only gripe is that it does not post. The cap fit on the end but easily falls off - why did they do this? I like to post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alc3261 View Post
    I like mine which arrived today, my only gripe is that it does not post. The cap fit on the end but easily falls off - why did they do this? I like to post.
    That was the deal breaker mentioned very early in this thread. A few more purchases, a review from Dan, performance, then time will tell. ALC don't feel bad, TWSB's have never posted that well anyway. The mini screw post I feel was a catch up move. The old 540 and new 580's post but very, very badly. I don't think TWBI pens are meant to post in the first place.

Thanks

I don't understand all the replies saying this pen doesn't post, no TWSBI pen posts, even the mini doesn't post where the clip automatically lines up with the nib! TWSBI is just following what they always do. I love this pen, it's a well made piston filler where, for people like me who change colours often, don't need to wait ages for it to be empty before I fill with another colour.

I think it's a great addition to the range, certainly not for everyone, but for people who don't need a huge ink capacity, it's a great alternative so they can swap inks, say, on a weekly basis. I like it so much I bought all three colours, only wish they made a clear demonstrator. Cheers, Bud.
    Last edited by Uncle Bud; January 11th, 2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Addition

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bud View Post
    I don't understand all the replies saying this pen doesn't post, no TWSBI pen posts, even the mini doesn't post where the nib automatically lines up with the nib! TWSBI is just following what they always do. ...
    Every TWSBI up until the Classic was released has been able to post. The cap fits on the rear of the pen. That's posting. The Micarta does it. The Mini does it. The Vac700 does it. And the 500 series pens have done it.

The cap will not stay on the back of the Classic. It doesn't post.

Going by your definition of posting:
    ...where the nib automatically lines up with the nib...
    what pens do post? Almost every pen requires you to manually line up the clip and nib.

Thanks

Every TWSBI up until the Classic was released has been able to post. The cap fits on the rear of the pen. That's posting. The Micarta does it. The Mini does it. The Vac700 does it. And the 500 series pens have done it.

what pens do post? Almost every pen requires you to manually line up the clip and nib.
    That's the point I'm trying to make. My description includes it being able to stay on the end in an appropriate manner, in a secure manner, where if moved it doesn't actuate the piston. There is an appropriate way and a not appropriate way. To say the cap fits on the end, is not convenient. If that the criteria, so does the classic, the fact that it falls off when turned upside down is neither here nor there. The cap still fits on the end.

I'm only stating what I think, I totally accept others have their opinions. Different strokes for different folks, everyone has an opinion, I'm just stating mine. I still think it's a good little pen, better than some, worse than some. It doesn't deserve the slating it seems to be getting, but what do I care, I have all three and I'm happy with them. I hardly ever post anyway. I do conceded that if you like to post this is NOT the pen for you.

Cheers Bud.

BTW, how do I contact you about some nib work. I'm in the UK, does that matter
    Last edited by Uncle Bud; January 11th, 2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Bad English

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post

This is like claiming that my car can fly because I drove it off a cliff.
    Last edited by Koyote; January 11th, 2014 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post

This is like claiming that my car can fly because I drove it off a cliff.
    Explain how they don't post.

Thanks

Dan, you're being a bit disingenuous. We both know that they post, but post so poorly and clumsily that they obviously were never intended to be used that way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bud View Post

That's the point I'm trying to make. My description includes it being able to stay on the end in an appropriate manner, in a secure manner, where if moved it doesn't actuate the piston. There is an appropriate way and a not appropriate way. To say the cap fits on the end, is not convenient. If that the criteria, so does the classic, the fact that it falls off when turned upside down is neither here nor there. The cap still fits on the end.
    Regarding the portion above I emphasized in bold text, wouldn't an appropriate way be different for everyone? What if someone didn't like how high or low the cap posted on the barrel and felt that was inappropriate or inconvenient? Does that mean the pen doesn't post? To put those kinds of stipulations on whether a pen posts or not doesn't make any sense.

Let's look at Richard Binder's definition of posting:
    To “park” the cap onto the back end of the barrel while writing, as a convenient storage location or to make the pen more comfortable to use. Some users prefer to post their pens because they like the longer shape or because they prefer having the weight farther back. Also (of the pen itself), to have the cap so placed. Some pens do not post well if at all, and some pens that post reasonably well also expose their caps to the risk of cracks at the lip due to the stress of being pressed down onto a tapered barrel. The Parker “51” (illustrated here, upper), with its gently tapered barrel and metal cap with a clutch spring, posts very well. Sheaffer’s Balance (lower) is notorious for cap-lip cracks because of its steeper barrel taper and relatively thin celluloid cap lip.
    Emphasis above is mine. If the cap fits on the rear of the pen then it posts and there are degrees to how well the cap posts. As Richard mentions, the Parker "51" posts very well. The 530/540/580 does not post very well. But it still posts.

Thanks

Dan, you must have been a real champ on the high school debate team. So many words for such a small purpose.

I never wrote that the 5xx pens don't post. I wrote that they post about as well as my car would fly if I drove it off a cliff. Since the humorous analogy eludes you, I will spell it out: it's obvious that neither was designed for the described task. Cars can fly, but not well. The 5xx can post, but not well.

Can we all go to bed now?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Anyone in the U.S: If you want to try a TWSBI Classic for a week or so and want to practice nib tuning...(EF nib), send me P.M. I am horrible at doing such things and have plenty of other pens. I will send it as it came in the box w/ papers.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; January 12th, 2014 at 08:45 AM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Dan. How bout this. The pen does not post well. There are pens that post and are balanced and pens that post and are very unbalanced. Twsbi's don't post well. I'm a poster of pens and have a 540. It's just one of those things that TWSBI looked at before they made them, probably made a decision to make a pen that does not post well. They would post well if they didn't have a whopping 14 grams of weight in the cap, which I've taken apart and removed. Now the pen posts, and yes the cap fits on the back with that hack. The vac is long enough so you don't have to post. As uncle bud said there's a difference between posting, and having a place to put the cap rather than in your pocket.

Thanks

I'm new but my classic does not post well. Doesn't matter. Incredible nib and love the blue color and style. It's a keeper.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Fantastic pen.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

I just put my Twsbi Classic in the mail back to Twsbi. I have persistent seeping just beneath the ink window and it will either be repaired or replaced. Great customer service, wish it wasn't necessary.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

21. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (January 21st, 2014)