Thread: Handwritten Ink Review: Private Reserve Black Cherry

Thanks

Default Handwritten Ink Review: Private Reserve Black Cherry

For the full review with all the images click here: http://penpaperinkletter.com/handwritten-ink-review-private-reserve-black-cherry/

This is Private Reserve’s Black Cherry ink. At first I wasn’t impressed with the ink but after using it a bit more in different pens I have come to appreciate it’s subtle shading and deep coloring.

Attachment 8503

It moves from a maroon-red in drier, finer pens to almost black in wetter pens. I prefer the look from a stub with this ink but have used it in EF pens too. With a fine to medium nibs it dries in about 30 seconds but with wide wet nibs it takes well over a minute on this TWSBI paper. It does ok in the water drop test meaning a quick spill won’t completely erase your text if you dry it quickly.

Attachment 8504Attachment 8505Attachment 8506Attachment 8507

Heath
    @WeThePPIL

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

85AKbN (January 6th, 2014), DrChumley (January 11th, 2014), earthdawn (January 12th, 2014), Jeph (January 6th, 2014), Robert (January 6th, 2014), Woody (January 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: Handwritten Ink Review: Private Reserve Black Cherry

I've tried this ink in a Pilot VP with broad nib. To my eye it looked like a mid-toned sepia. It was nice to have the opportunity to try it, but I didn't particularly care for it.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I love the way this ink looks in your review--a deep maroon with mahogany undertones. But the ink from my bottle (from ~2010) looked much browner and muddier and barely red at all. I ended up giving it away. I'll have to give this one another look, though, maybe my bottle was old and the color had shifted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I love the way this ink looks in your review--a deep maroon with mahogany undertones. But the ink from my bottle (from ~2010) looked much browner and muddier and barely red at all. I ended up giving it away. I'll have to give this one another look, though, maybe my bottle was old and the color had shifted.
    The first pen I tried it in, maybe a Pilot Metropolitan gave me results a bit more like yours. It really does behave and look different with different pens and flows.

Heath

Thanks

I love this ink. It does indeed change quite a lot depending on how wet and thick you lay it down. I like your comments about the subtlety. It is a very nuanced ink. I find it has a very vintage looking feel to it.

It is not soda-pop/lolly-pop black cherry, which I think most people expect from the name. It is however closer to the actual color of real black cherries when you get them off the tree. Sort of gradated from deep red through blackish red with pit stops in brownish red.