Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Waterman focus group

Non-participant
    Thanks

Default Re: No Waterman focus group

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    I have asked, hopefully we will soon see a CS Group as well.
    That would relieve the pressure on FPN from having to delete many of the negative posts about CS's lack of quality control in the manufacture of their product.

Thanks

I assume from the lack of reply to my PM that the answer is a no

Looks like us CS owners will have to battle the gauntlet of what the MOD's will let through on the Dark Side Forum

Is it because its now and always been an English Company, Prejudice against the English, does that make it a Racist Decision

Paul

Non-participant
    Thanks

Is it because its now and always been an English Company, Prejudice against the English, does that make it a Racist Decision
    I think the problem is that the company who made the vintage Conway Stewarts has little to do with the company who makes the current Conway Stewarts apart from having the legal rights to the use of the same name. Much has been written about this subject in a number of forums by people who are suitably qualified to give informed comment. This has divided the loyalties of Conway Stewart owners with a great deal of passion. What's my interest in this? Well, I'm just a mug who spent hundreds of dollars on a modern Conway Stewart to find the tines aligned at 45° out of the box and the pen incapable of writing. But then I was told by a CS representative that any pen needs tuning before it is a good writer. Um, bought a new motor vehicle recently and been happy to have a mechanic work it over before you can use it? Enough said ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Paul-H (April 26th, 2014)

Thanks

So true, if my modern Churchill is anything to go by, with the way the poorly designed pressure bar try's to rip the sac off every time it's used, and not to mention the super broad medium nib that has a very bad dose of babies bottom

The original and much better Conway Stewart did make excellent pens for a very long time though, I would have thought their contribution to the world of fountain pens would have been enough, but Sadly not, or so it seems.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul-H; April 26th, 2014 at 01:27 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Murfie View Post
    I think the problem is that the company who made the vintage Conway Stewarts has little to do with the company who makes the current Conway Stewarts apart from having the legal rights to the use of the same name. Much has been written about this subject in a number of forums by people who are suitably qualified to give informed comment. This has divided the loyalties of Conway Stewart owners with a great deal of passion. What's my interest in this? Well, I'm just a mug who spent hundreds of dollars on a modern Conway Stewart to find the tines aligned at 45° out of the box and the pen incapable of writing. But then I was told by a CS representative that any pen needs tuning before it is a good writer. Um, bought a new motor vehicle recently and been happy to have a mechanic work it over before you can use it? Enough said ...
    http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....ll=1#post75344

Thanks

I will check the clip on mine when I get home tonight as it's not in my EDC case for obvious reason

Paul

Thanks

I will check the clip on mine when I get home tonight as it's not in my EDC case for obvious reason

Paul
    It is such a shame really. I want to be able to support the British economy and recommend their products. There is so much else that is right about these pens and then it is spoiled by failure to attend to those tiny details. I very much doubt that Mary Burke comes to this forum, and no one else has responded to my observation. Maybe this is a one off problem, but I will never know, because of the lack of response to it, and the fact that I will not be buying one, so I will not have first hand experience.

Thanks

Here is the clip on mine

Paul

Thanks

Here is the clip on mine

Paul

Please could I ask you to rotate it a few degrees so that the joint between the clip and the cap is visible. I cannot quite make out if there is a gap between them. However it does not seem to have the glaring curvature to the clip joint as in the example I posted.

Thanks

Hi

Right I tried to photograph my cap from the same angle as yours, hope this one is a bit better.

Paul

On your picture the clip looks like it is pulling away from the cap is that correct, on mine its a snug fit so no real gap showing, unless we are looking at two different things

Thanks

Yes in the image I posted the top of the clip seems to be pulling away from the cap. In my image the error appears to be in the manufacture of the clip itself, and should have been rejected by quality control.
    Last edited by Scrawler; April 28th, 2014 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks

Yes it's not a very good design is it, just two little clips at the bottom of the part of the clip.that sits against the cap. It should have been designed with clips at both ends not just the bottom. I suspect the one on mine would start to work loose if it was well used.

Paul