Thread: Nemosine Fission

Thanks

Default Nemosine Fission

Full review with additional photos and video here: http://penhabit.com/2014/04/17/pen-r...osine-fission/

IMG_6801.jpg

Nemosine is a pen brand with which I wasn’t familiar when I purchased a used Fission from cookies here on the forum. The company is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but their pens are manufactured in China/Taiwan. As fan of many of the Chinese pen brands, not to mention brands like Monteverde which outsource their manufacturing to China, I was intrigued by the Nemosine.

With a list price of $50USD (and retail prices around $25 in some locations), The Nemosine Fission is a solidly-built and clean-lined metal body pen. It comes in a variety of colors including light blue, red, gunmetal, white, black, navy blue, nickel, and pewter. The pen I purchased was navy blue, and came in a lovely, high-gloss finish with chromed hardware and fittings. The heftier weight that comes with a metal pen results in a very solid-feeling, well-built instruments that seems capable of taking some abuse. (In fact, it feels solidly built enough that you could probably do some damage by hitting people with it, although that may void your warranty…)

The section of the pen is also chromed metal, and can get a little slippery if you’re the kind of person who gets sweaty hands. And it does pick up fingerprints like crazy, as do most metal sections.

The feed is a relatively standard plastic feed.

IMG_6811.jpg

The pen can be posted, and comes with threads on the bottom of the barrel that allow you post the pen quite securely. When posted, the pen is rather long, but even with it posted, it is extremely well-balanced in my hand, not seeming even the slightest bit back-weighted.

I do have some questions about the durability of the finish. It feels almost like an enamel, but I’m fairly certain it is not. It’s probably a powder-coated paint or some such thing.

The Nib

IMG_6806.jpg

One of the more interesting thing about Nemosine pens is that their #6-sized stainless steel nibs come in a couple of sizes that are not readily available from other pen manufacturers: a 0.6mm and 0.8mm stub. I do like stub nibs, but a 1.1mm stub tends to be a bit too wide for my personal style of handwriting, so I find these to be an interesting option. I’m uncertain who makes the nibs for Nemosine, but they do state “Made in Germany” on the nib itself.

My pen came with a 0.6mm stub which fits my writing style quite nicely. Like many less-expensive factory stub nibs, this nib has no tipping material, the steel itself having been ground directly to produce the stub. It writes quite smoothly, and has a moderate ink flow that is just a hint on the dry side. (I haven’t attempted to increase the ink flow yet, as I haven’t had any great desire or need to.) I find that the nib prefers a smoother paper, as it had a tendency to choke a bit on the textured or more absorbent papers like G. Lalo Verge de France or New Leaf.

When it comes to line variation, don’t expect to get any via flexion of the tines. This nib is a nail. It’s a very smooth nail, but there is nothing in the way of springiness or flex in this nib at all.

I also find the nib’s butterfly-like stamped design to be quite attractive.

Writing Experience

Overall, I find myself moderately impressed by the writing experience with the Nemosine Fission. The pen is comfortable to hold, and unposted, I find the weight to be in that very comfortable zone between too light and too heavy. I was able to write several pages without experiencing any fatigue.

The feed appears capable of keeping up with longer writing sessions, and the smooth nib does some good things to my handwriting without requiring me to change my writing style too drastically. As mentioned earlier, the chromed section did tend to get just a touch slippery if I got to gripping to hard or ended up with sweaty hands.

Overall, though, I’m impressed by this pen. It feels solid and well-built enough that I would feel comfortable giving this pen as a first pen to a new fountain pen user. It is sturdy enough, yet affordable enough, that I would have no hesitancy in recommending it as an everyday carry. And those unique nib sizes really do set the pen apart a bit from other options in this price range.

IMG_6802.jpgIMG_6813.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrChumley For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 18th, 2014), Cookies (April 21st, 2014), writingrav (April 18th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Nemosine Fission

I have a Nemosine Demonstrator and in the Singularity in Magenta with the same nib (mine is not made with the same grade of materials, I think. It didn't write very well out of the box (I did flush it first), but I used a bit of micromesh on it, and now it writes very well.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews of the Singularity. I don't know if I got lucky with my Fission or if cookies did anything to get the pen working nicely before sending it my way, but it behaves better than I was expecting for such an inexpensive pen. It won't be replacing my Pelikans or Viscontis any time soon, but it's a nice pen for a beater.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I have to confess I bought it because of the color. Purple calls to me ...
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

You've got my interest. Great review and well done.

Thanks

+1 Good Review
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 811 Posts

Good review! You answered two questions I had about the Nemosine stub nibs.