Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stipula Passoporto.....

Thanks

Default Re: Stipula Passoporto.....

I got mine today (after completely forgetting I purchased it from Massdrop)! Despite all if the negative reviews on the internet, mine writes beautifully out of the box, nice and smooth and wet. I haven't had any issues with it staying posted, but I can also write with it easily without posting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bec11mort View Post
    I got mine today (after completely forgetting I purchased it from Massdrop)! Despite all if the negative reviews on the internet, mine writes beautifully out of the box, nice and smooth and wet. I haven't had any issues with it staying posted, but I can also write with it easily without posting.
    Stipula have had some QC issues and disappointed customers tend to more vocal than happy customers. Thus the negative reviews.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to raging.dragon For This Useful Post:

Austin_Malone (July 21st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raging.dragon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bec11mort View Post
    Stipula have had some QC issues and disappointed customers tend to more vocal than happy customers. Thus the negative reviews.
    They're also a little pricey compared to some other brands offering the same. (Pricey and QC issues don't exactly mix well, making the negatives even more vocal).

Thanks

Well, it's come back to me. And while the feed is no longer obstructed, the pen still will not write a consistent line. I suspected babies bottoms, and after a look through a loupe or two, it seems like I'm right, but after some time smoothing flow was only increased a small amount. And the pen still requires constant pressure to achieve ink flow. This is a major disappointment, I love everything else about this pen, but it stubbornly refuses to write.

Thanks

I have two. The first one I bought at my local B&M store and it was fantastic. Bought a blue one from speerbob with the same lovely stub nib and it wouldn't post. I was very disappointed. BTW, I think the Stipula factory stub is one of the best italic nibs out there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuki yo View Post
    Well, it's come back to me. And while the feed is no longer obstructed, the pen still will not write a consistent line. I suspected babies bottoms, and after a look through a loupe or two, it seems like I'm right, but after some time smoothing flow was only increased a small amount. And the pen still requires constant pressure to achieve ink flow. This is a major disappointment, I love everything else about this pen, but it stubbornly refuses to write.
    Apply pressure spreads the tines a bit. To get the pen writing without pressure, you probably need to spread the tines a tiny bit.

Thanks

I'd agree that spreading the tines a bit would be my next step, but I use brass shim (.001") to do it. Actually, I end up at .002", but I like wet writers.

Careful though, increasing the gap is easy, closing it back is not.

If you are thinking about doing this, look up nib flossing, but the basic idea is to insert the shim at the breather hole or underside(Not at the tip) then out to the tip.

I do it with ink in the pen - you can tell when it's right.

Good luck,
    Mike
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Alexis de Tocqeuville "Democracy in America" (George Lawrence Translation)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

+1 on the brass shims. Very inexpensive to buy some (I think I got mine from Dale Beebe of pentooling.com). All they are is little pieces of brass to slide in there, just be careful to not cut your finger!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Oh we've tried the brass, I've used three different thicknesses and it's still drier than my martini's. There doesn't really seem to be anything I can do to make it work. So it's going in a drawer until I can justify the expense to send it to a meister.

Thanks

Can you slip a piece of paper between the nib and feed?

Barring a gap there, if you put a paper towel into the breather hole, does it immediately fill with ink?

Also, do you have a loupe? Is there indeed a .001" gap at the tip?

Mike
    Last edited by LagNut; July 28th, 2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Thanks

And now I look back and see it just came back from Anderson's. Never mind, these steps would have been done.

I think you're on the right path, sorry this is not working out.

Mike

Thanks

I think I've found the issue. The collar (once I finally got it out of the section) has a crack in it that runs about 80% of the length of the collar, and end of the collar looks like it used to have a lip on it that was shattered at some point. It looks to me like it was assembled with a zeal that resulted in all this damage.

I won't be sending it back again, I looted the nib and stuck it in a Jinhao 599. The body will remain a show piece until I can find an appropriate collar for it down the line.