Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Banned From FPN?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: Banned From FPN?

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Is anyone else as confused as the kid that drives a tractor to school?
    I'm unclear how someone from Narnia having problems posting to a forum relates to another person getting harassed, especially when by Post #5 the original problem was resolved.
    You have it right. It's actually two threads, a short one about what turned out to be a technical glitch. For that thread, the answer to the title question "Banned from FPN?" is "No, you are not". The OP's online persona is sufficiently benign that him being banned by FPN seemed unlikely from the outset. A comment was made with the intent of encouraging the OP not to jump to the conclusion that he had been banned. This comment was disagreed with to some extent, the nature of the disagreement being that it was indeed quite easy to get banned and whimsical enough. The answer to the title question for the second thread-in-the-thread is "It could happen to you!"
    --
    Mike

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 20th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    Is anyone else as confused as the kid that drives a tractor to school?

If someone can help me out, are parts of this thread missing or are there some quotes for which I am overlooking the original post?

Also a short summary of this would be great. As in this topic could benefit from some Cliff's Notes. I'm unclear how someone from Narnia having problems posting to a forum relates to another person getting harassed, especially when by Post #5 the original problem was resolved.
    Apparently it's called "evolution".....which only some guy called Darwin ever understood....once upon a long time ago...
    You're confusing evolution with devolution.
    Okay...pass me the joint...and a glass of decent red as well....I'll also order a nice single malt for Jon...in fact make that 2 for Jon...two's twice as nice!!
    Ear...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Hugh, you're always such a gentleman. I'm reserving a bottle of a nice Central Coast pinot noir for you...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

HughC (August 20th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GING GING View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GING GING View Post
    This is killing me trying to hold it back. Kbeezie likes to stir things up and he embellishes things as well. If he can set himself up as a victim, he's Johnny on the spot. I was there when all of this stuff happened. When he first mentioned the guy was harassing him, he asked for advise. I PMd him with info on how to deal with it. We PMd back and forth. He continually spoke of himself as this poor deaf victim. I saw that a moderator chewed him out in a post, so I PMd the mod in defense of BEEZIE. " I had fallen for his sadness hook line and sinker". That moderator blasted me for falling for his bull. He would constantly pester the mods about any thing he could come up with. He even hassled them about this creep who was bothering him on eBay or Craigslist or some other forum. He even set up a fake account so he could get a free PIF that was only given to new members. I absolutely know that this innapropriate and if I get booted I understand but this guy has to be told to shut up. Another year will go by and if he has the opportunity to bring this up again, just to get some pity posts, he will. If anyone is wondering who I think I am giving him info on this crap that was embellished in the first place, my wife is a police Lieutenant. I mentioned it to her because he was very convincing.
    Says the brand new less than a month old account. I've been transparent with all the dialog that had occurred with whoever is doing the harassment which could even a moderator of FPN for all I know.

Quoting for reference.

Oh and I would love to see a link to which PIF I supposedly setup a fake account for...
    Karl. No moderator on FPN would take the time to harass, stalk or threaten your life. Just your saying this makes me think you made all this stuff up from the beginning. They even took you serious at first. I wouldn't point fingers at the FPN staff. If you'll remember, they even said that if you could get this persons IP address they might be able to help further. You had every one so concerned for your safety that we all insisted that you notify the police. But you didn't do that. All you would do is keep telling every body how strong you for not letting this stalker get to you. And that's when all the sympathy comments would. Come.
    The internet is a funny old place. At least two other forums I'm a member of have had people post attention grabbing posts, fake their own deaths, then come back as that posters partner.
    On the other hand, people have sadly been stalked across the intenet, and sometimes into real life.

If anyone is every unfortunate enough to be in the latter category, for the love of nibs, go to the police.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ste_S For This Useful Post:

GING GING (August 21st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

"For the love of the nibs." That's my new favorite line, I predict it'll take two usages before my husband starts rolling his eyes.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

I have started using FPN a lot less for reasons I will not go into.

However I do find as more a novice type user it is harder on here to make contributions. Obviously taking into account FPN is far larger but relatively speaking I still think this is the case. It may in part be that on here there is slightly greater emphasis on here on the usefulness of contributions due to forum software that has been used. In some ways this is advantageous however in others ways it may result in fewer opportunities to contribute for members.

Just sharing a few thoughts that I hope are not taken in the wrong way.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to top pen For This Useful Post:

Brisboy (August 20th, 2014), Jon Szanto (August 20th, 2014), Marsilius (August 20th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    Well, *I* certainly didn't take it wrong: I'd love to figure out any way possible for people, new and experienced, to feel at ease with posting here. Next week I just may start a thread to discuss this. Not my forum, but I like it here, and desire to make it the best possible experience for as many as I can.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

dannzeman (August 21st, 2014), orfew (August 20th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,747 Posts

However I do find as more a novice type user it is harder on here to make contributions. Obviously taking into account FPN is far larger but relatively speaking I still think this is the case. It may in part be that on here there is slightly greater emphasis on here on the usefulness of contributions due to forum software that has been used. In some ways this is advantageous however in others ways it may result in fewer opportunities to contribute for members.

Ahhh, don't worry about that. It's more or less a 'like' button.

And questions are always contributions.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 20th, 2014), KBeezie (August 21st, 2014), scrivelry (August 20th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
    ... for the love of nibs, go to the police ...
    :P That'll get me some looks if I start using it.

Thanks

However I do find as more a novice type user it is harder on here to make contributions. Obviously taking into account FPN is far larger but relatively speaking I still think this is the case. It may in part be that on here there is slightly greater emphasis on here on the usefulness of contributions due to forum software that has been used. [/I]
    I would just slowly but surely blaze through that impression.

I have found people pretty patient and supportive of "novice" posts, so just go ahead, and over time you become an old timer!

I like using the Thanks button at the lower left hand corner, which I think they like here more than posts that just say "Thanks". I also figure I can always say something I like to say; worst case it gets ignored or somebody gets grumpy with me (which hasn't happened yet, I hope.)
    Fortibus es in ero

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Brisboy (August 21st, 2014), Jon Szanto (August 21st, 2014), Wile E Coyote (August 21st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raging.dragon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by raging.dragon View Post
    The biggest difference between FPN and FPG is that FPG tolerates posts questioning or criticising FPG itself.
    I would have guessed the biggest difference is the board software.

And the kilts.
    Kilts?
    Time to get this thread back on track

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (August 22nd, 2014), oldstoat (August 23rd, 2014), pengeezer (August 24th, 2014), Shimmershadow (August 22nd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post

Time to get this thread back on track

Dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Just so you know, you can delve into those reason without the fear of being banned here. But if there are other reasons you prefer not to share, I respect that.

Can you please expound on this? What about the forum software makes it more difficult to contribute? That's certainly not what I'm going for and if there's a simple change I can make to make this forum more user friendly, I'll do it.

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

alc3261 (August 22nd, 2014), Jon Szanto (August 21st, 2014), KBeezie (August 22nd, 2014), Llewellyn (August 30th, 2014), Marsilius (August 21st, 2014), migo984 (August 22nd, 2014), orfew (August 22nd, 2014), pengeezer (August 24th, 2014), reprieve (August 22nd, 2014), View from the Loft (August 22nd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    FPN have lost some good people, some recognized experts who carried with them a stack of knowledge that will be missed but if they want to flounce out the door in a hissy drama queen fit then thats okay too.

FPN has also lost some dogs that should have been shot at birth but thats a story for another day.
    That's one way of putting it. Another way of putting it is that some of us turned our backs on Fountain Pen Network in disgust and revulsion at the behaviour of Wim and his cronies.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

HughC (August 22nd, 2014), KBeezie (August 22nd, 2014), migo984 (August 22nd, 2014), oldstoat (August 23rd, 2014), pengeezer (August 24th, 2014)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

About 2-3 months ago maybe I was involved with the PIF thread on FPN and was eventually told that general chit chat in the thread was a serious offense. I eventually got banned from the forums for it. The MOD who did it, sent me a rather lengthy message on FNP and he and I basically had it out and in the middle of it he said he was gonna have another MOD join the message as a witness which to me means back up like a cop calling in another cop to help him beat down the bad guy. So, I then said you know what I don't need this im just not going to post in the forums anymore. So, to make sure, the MOD took my posting permission away. Now as of yesterday out of the blue I am permenantly banned, unable to even see the front page when I login. I can't retrieve personal contact information from friends or anything now. Being that I have not posted in the forums because I CANT, I have no idea what happened to cause the complete ban.........I can't even access the help section nor can I find any contact emails for the owners of the site or anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RayCornett View Post
    Now as of yesterday out of the blue I am permenantly banned, unable to even see the front page when I login.
    Is that what it looks like to be permanently banned? Sounds more like a technical glitch. I'd have expected something a little less ambiguous, like big red letters: "YOU ARE BANNED. YOU GO NOW. GO. GO. GO AWAY!"
    --
    Mike

27. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Dreck (August 22nd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RayCornett View Post
    Now as of yesterday out of the blue I am permenantly banned, unable to even see the front page when I login.
    Is that what it looks like to be permanently banned? Sounds more like a technical glitch. I'd have expected something a little less ambiguous, like big red letters: "YOU ARE BANNED. YOU GO NOW. GO. GO. GO AWAY!"
    When logged in to FPN if I try to go to the main forum page I get a message saying I don't have permission to do that. In fact once banned you don't have permission to do anything but log in or log out, can't even manage your account to delete it. :\
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Perhaps, since hobby message boards are supposed to be... well... fun, you folks should play at message boards that are a bit less full of themselves than FPN.

Now, where might such be found...

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    Now, where might such be found...
    Besides right here, you mean?

~ Benjamin Franklin

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

KBeezie (August 23rd, 2014), Marsilius (August 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

There should be a new membership level instituted here, a badge of honor...instead of Senior Member ---> Banned from FPN