Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Banned From FPN?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Default Re: Banned From FPN?

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Now it happened to me, they disabled my account.

"You have been restricted from posting on this community."

Root cause was that I posted a link to the weekly sketch thread here in the old FPN sketch thread.
    Somebody asked for inspiration for the "Shoe" topic and I wrote he can take a look at my contributions here if he like.

They removed my link and when I complained why they removed my link they closed the thread and disabled my account.

They really disqualifying themselves.

I´m really disappointed in which direction FPN is developing.
    After years of passioned contribution and supporting the site/people there, they just locked me out without any notice or a single word.

I can only recommend, do not put any efforts into FPN anymore, itˋs not worth, if the godlike moderators/admins don't like what you are doing it can be over in a jiffy....... So disappointing
    Wow that's crazy. Somebody over "there" needs to go to local pub and get a beer.

Well we get to keep ya....and I enjoy your drawings. So welcome to FPN.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Mr. Reader (May 31st, 2016), Pterodactylus (May 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Lou View Post

I've also heard an acquaintance who signed up for it complain about sexism over there...
    It is very sexist; I've challenged misogynistic and misandristic posts there on a number of occasions (although I would point out that I have done so on one or two occasions here too, in the past). They don't seem to put much effort into moderating such posts.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (May 26th, 2016), Mr. Reader (May 31st, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Now it happened to me, they disabled my account.

"You have been restricted from posting on this community."

Root cause was that I posted a link to the weekly sketch thread here in the old FPN sketch thread.
    Somebody asked for inspiration for the "Shoe" topic and I wrote he can take a look at my contributions here if he like.

They removed my link and when I complained why they removed my link they closed the thread and disabled my account.

They really disqualifying themselves.

After years of passioned contribution and supporting the site/people there, they just locked me out without any notice or a single word.

I can only recommend, do not put any efforts into FPN anymore, itˋs not worth, if the godlike moderators/admins don't like what you are doing it can be over in a jiffy....... So disappointing
    I am sorry to see this has occurred. It is very unfortunate to view the examples left behind of all the contributions you put into that community, only to be unceremoniously shown the door. There is one other thing:

This should not have been a surprise.

It would be rude of me to post quotes, and I won't. But I went back to comments you made, in a thread on this forum regarding FPN, where you supported their right to run their forum any way they chose, that whatever users contributed meant nothing and it was foolish to think it did, and basically made light of people who complained about the way FPN had banned them from the site. And I only know this because I was pretty certain these were your opinions, and I had to check to make sure.

As I said, I am very sorry that they did this to you. It makes no sense - it rarely has - and I hope you'll just think about the good that all those threads brought to people when they were active. I am a complete Neanderthal in terms of visual artistry, so I don't take part in your art threads, but I do read and enjoy them. I'm glad you are here, part of the FPG community!
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; May 26th, 2016 at 03:16 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

HughC (May 26th, 2016), Pterodactylus (May 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Thanks for your kind words
    I´m happy that people like my drawings and scribbling.

Jon, you have a good memory.
    I also remember the discussions some years ago.
    But I never said that user contribution meant nothing.
    One point there was that I could not understand that somebody would destroy threads by deleting his contribution.
    Also now I would not delete my contributions there as it would ruin many threads (and the users are not responsible how they run the site).
    I always thought there must be be severe reasons (which might not be public known) when people had troubles with the admin/mods.
    Obviously I was wrong, and I´m sorry about this prejudice (but at that time I had not the slightest personal problem with them).

I already decided 2 month ago not to use FPN as platform to post my drawings anymore, when they censored me (and others) first time.
    From then on I just posted them here, but I wanted to continue commenting some threads and primarily maintaining my EMF Mod thread
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...e-my-flex-mod/ (which was/is an important topic for me).

I guess I have to open a new EMF thread here

I hope many others will also recognize that FPN is not a nice place anymore and join us here.

I did a last quick sketch as farewell for FPN this evening.
    Unfortunately I can´t post it there anymore, so I add it here.

FPN Goodbye by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (May 26th, 2016), HughC (May 26th, 2016), Jon Szanto (May 26th, 2016), Marsilius (May 27th, 2016), Mr. Reader (May 31st, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Jon, you have a good memory.
    Oh my gods, I wish! That is why I used a search function to make certain of any memory issues!

I really don't want to dwell on any of the past. My only point was that when FPN has been discussed before, we usually have people who are in the "I've never had a problem, why are you guys always going on and on..." and, inevitably, we see the same thing happen. Now, too, you have been stung. So very unfortunate, but I hope that you will continue to have a positive experience here. I have had a lot going on out in the world and not my usual self in terms of posting, but maybe that will be changing.

If I can remember.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Newjelan (June 4th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Thanks for your kind words
    I´m happy that people like my drawings and scribbling.

From then on I just posted them here, but I wanted to continue commenting some threads and primarily maintaining my EMF Mod thread
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...e-my-flex-mod/ (which was/is an important topic for me).

I guess I have to open a new EMF thread here
    Ptero, you and Pira have taken the sketching threads here to a new level.
    You absolutely need to open an EMF thread here and publicize it in the reddit forum /r/fountainpens.
    Let me tell you that's the place where the kind of FP users who could use your EMF mod.

I miss people like Eli over there on FPN, I hope someday he'll come here to join us.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

There is more to this exchange than is being reported here, if anyone cares. Ptero, I can view your profile and it does not say that you are banned or whatever. And your posts of objection charging the hypocrisy of the moderation are still viewable on the thread. But the post with the link is gone. Perhaps this is just some temporary form of suspension.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    There is more to this exchange than is being reported here, if anyone cares. Ptero, I can view your profile and it does not say that you are banned or whatever. And your posts of objection charging the hypocrisy of the moderation are still viewable on the thread. But the post with the link is gone. Perhaps this is just some temporary form of suspension.

A "time out" comes to mind.
    TBH, Ptero, I kind of got the impression you were poking them, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by snowbear; May 26th, 2016 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks

My time out has lasted years and is still ongoing!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sloegin View Post
    My time out has lasted years and is still ongoing!
    Their loss, our gain.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 26th, 2016), sloegin (May 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,510 Times in 4,019 Posts

It seems like there are different problems associated with FPN at this moment in time.

FPN is no longer "primarily a site set up for fountain pen lovers and those interested in all things pen related"

It's now primarily become a 'Pay to Join' site set up to make money, with members who pay being treated completely differently and having different privileges to 'ordinary members' who don't seem to be welcome anymore. Ordinary members are almost looked upon as second class citizens of some kind, or just non-paying members who have to be 'put up with.' Being a 'fountain pen lover or having an interest in all things pen related' counts for nothing any more. If you don't pay, they don't really want you, so they won't do anything to tempt you to stay around.

As far as the rules are concerned, the rule that 'If you haven't paid you aren't permitted to post links' is IMHO utterly ridiculous, elitist, and totally unnecessary. So ordinary mortals can't post links unless their link is in their signature, that I'm advised can't be seen if you access the forum via a mobile app.

Then you have the mixture of personalities of Super Moderators. Wim has advised me in emails that some are 'over zealous' in applying the rules and taking action. So why does he let them act like this? Why does he not say something? Why not remind them that the rules confirm that they aren't the 'all knowing dictators' that at least three of them believe they are?

It's a shame that FPN has taken a wrong turning and has travelled so far down the wrong road to a place where it will never return from. It's become a depressing place and it's really hard to get any enjoyment from being a part of it anymore. if you aren't a paid up member, you feel like you are walking on eggshells all of the time, and you have to be really careful what you say or do because you could get banned for saying or doing anything at any opportunity.

On the other hand FPG could be great, if only it had someone at the helm who cared what happens on here.

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Chemyst (May 27th, 2016), Crazyorange (May 27th, 2016), dr.grace (May 27th, 2016), Dragonmaster Lou (May 27th, 2016), Giovanni Abrate (May 27th, 2016), HughC (May 27th, 2016), Jon Szanto (May 27th, 2016), MY63 (May 27th, 2016), pengeezer (May 27th, 2016), Pterodactylus (May 27th, 2016), reprieve (June 2nd, 2016), sloegin (May 27th, 2016), snowbear (May 27th, 2016), Woody (July 16th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    I was there for about five years with around 5000 posts when it happened to me over one post where I referred to selling pens on Etsy.com. No warning just POOF! locked out. That was 3 years ago --- I'm so glad to be here at FPGeeks!!! You're in good company.
    Similar event happened to me sometime this past spring.

Not sure the precise sequence of events, but I returned from an underway to find my account locked out and a locked thread where a new user (regional ink distributor?) posted that my opinions were not the official line of Noodler's Ink. A short discussion followed with FPN members pointing out that I provided useful commentary on ink issues and then abruptly ended with Wim calling me: a troll, a series of other vague accusations, and a problem despite my 10 years of FPN membership participating and following the rules.

That as they say, was evidently that. I never received any email, PM or other communication from FPN before, during or after this event. Talking to people recently in-person, it seems there was at least one other (now hidden) thread where Wim asked the membership to denounce me and send him any "incriminating" posts or emails so he could collect some facts for an "investigation". Again, I never received anything directly from FPN and am only hearing about this special inquiry third-hand.

I am still unclear on what the precipitating event was that caused FPN to move me from the "member of 10 yrs in good standing" to the "troll" column. I believe that I last got an admin/mod "warning" 5 or so yrs ago about a PM conversation I was having with a member about our military service. I expect that Wim didn't care for my occasional posts about how the increasing commercialization of FPN was hurting the content-creators in catering to the selling contingent and he was just looking for a reason to make me go away.

I do note with interest that since that new user who initiated the thread that got me ousted posted that, they have not posted any other comments or initiated any other threads. It seems their sole reason to exist was to start that one thread and then dissolve away.

In any event, I've had an account over here for a few years and while I haven't been as active posting here as I was on FPN, I do hope to be able to post the occasional ink related item here.

Slainté!
    Last edited by Chemyst; May 27th, 2016 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks

Yeah, that episode was pretty strange, all around. It seemed something pretty easy to clear up.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (May 27th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    ....It's a shame that FPN has taken a wrong turning and has travelled so far down the wrong road to a place where it will never return from. It's become a depressing place and it's really hard to get any enjoyment from being a part of it anymore. if you aren't a paid up member, you feel like you are walking on eggshells all of the time, and you have to be really careful what you say or do because you could get banned for saying or doing anything at any opportunity.

On the other hand FPG could be great, if only it had someone at the helm who cared what happens on here.
    I am sorry that you feel that way about FPN. I don't contribute any money, I have turned on my adfilter, and I have never run into any moderating difficulties in any of my 1500+ posts.

I agree with you that this place could use some more "care," and for me this means moderating it more to keep it civil in its discourse. But maybe you meant something else. I REALLY miss Dan's reviews of pens and inks; they were really thorough and to the point!

Thanks

Actually removing all posting permission and giving the people a permanent "Time out" is quite a good solution.
    The affected people seem to be still active for other people, they do not see that posting, or simply writing a PM is not possible any more.
    Perfect solution for the Mods, nobody ask questions, nobody notice the change, the affected people can't complain or inform anybody anymore.

Chrissy is right it seem also strongly related to money.
    Not paying members seems to have no rights anymore, best example is the link thing, something which is just ridiculous.
    Additionally many mods seem to feel godlike, their word is the law, nobody has to question that, woe betide users who even think about questioning decisions of the almighty mods.

What here is missing is a thread similar to the "Don't just tell us...." thread.
    There are many people on FPN which visit FPN just because of this thread (many of the posters and a huge amount of people which just have fun following the thread posts).

Thanks
    Thanked 10,510 Times in 4,019 Posts

Additionally many mods seem to feel godlike, their word is the law, nobody has to question that, woe betide users who even think about questioning decisions of the almighty mods.
    You mean the SUPER Moderators And yes many of them do indeed seem to feel exactly as you say.

I'm not going to go into details of my own experiences of this on here, but that cap certainly does fit at least one of the FPN moderators very well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

I think pretty much all the art shown on those threads both at FPN and here is stunningly good. It's always amazed me, and pleased me greatly, that so many people have so much talent. Quite humbling really.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 27th, 2016), snowbear (May 27th, 2016), TSherbs (May 28th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I think pretty much all the art shown on those threads both at FPN and here is stunningly good. It's always amazed me, and pleased me greatly, that so many people have so much talent. Quite humbling really.
    The quality of the users posts and contributions are out of question.
    The way the other side is managed is the obvious problem.

But "this one" understand that you can't comment on the management of the other side, without risk loosing your permissions there.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

stub (May 29th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    The quality of the users posts and contributions are out of question.
    The way the other side is managed is the obvious problem.

But "this one" understand that you can't comment on the management of the other side, without risk loosing your permissions there.
    you can comment, and even object

you just have to do it through pm (per the rules)

I have done so and have had no problems

Thanks

I've never thought there would be issues surrounding the FPN, since people were pretty friendly back when I joined in 2014. And by reading several threads here about how FPN is censoring everything from bad nibmeister to reputed brands makes me cringe in disgust.

And it's by googling some information about Noodler's ink that I found this thread locked for an absolutely ridiculous reason; how was it ink bashing?: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...-ink-problems/

Censoring a teeny weeny bit of negative criticism (most of the time people's own experience, even) is unhealthy to the community.