Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused

Thanks

Default Confused

I am new to the world of fountain pens and I have decided to take the leap and buy an everyday writer for under $200. This pen will be used everyday for taking notes in college as well as general writing. I am 42 and just went back to school for a new degree, this lead to a discovery that I have carpel tunnel. The pens I have been that have caught my eye the most are the Sailor Pro Gear Slim and the Pelikan M205 and 215. I love the look of the Sailor and it writes like a dream I have read. I have also read that Sailor makes some of the smoothest nibs around. The Pelikans have many more options with buying the one pen. Such as changing the nibs, which is a great option. Can anyone help me with some advice as to which pen what be the better choice? Or for any great pen under $200?

Thanks

Default Re: Confused

I don't know much about carpel tunnel, but my guess is that slimmer pens will cause more discomfort. Is there any way you can get to a pen show or brick and mortar store to try gripping the pens before you decide on one?
    Sailor and Pelikan are both great, reliable brands. You won't go wrong with either of them. Another pen that fits your criteria is the Lamy 2000. Some love it, and some hate it, but it's one that deserves a look before you make a choice.
    Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good. - Jan Karon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

jay.is.here (September 6th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Gosh, there are so many choices for everyday writers. I have both of the pens you mention and love them, so I don't use either of them at school (they are way too expensive for that). I teach at a university, and even though I have an office where I could keep my pens, the only one I have bought that is over $100 is my Vanishing Point. The ones I use at school are these (and they are all great writers for school): Sailor Clear Candy ($10-15), Pilot Kakuno ($10-16.50), Kaweco Sport Classic ($23), and Lamy Charcoal Safari ($28.00). All of these are way under $200 and are very practical. For notes, I would use the Sailor Clear Candy or Pilot Kakuno (I have both of these in F). The Kaweco I have in EF. The Safari I have in EF.

Hope this helps.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Anohter thought - just a thought, I am no doctor - but if repetitive stress is part of your carpal tunnel, perhaps two pens with slightly different grips to change off between would be a good idea. That way you can write for a while with one, then next class with the other, and maybe sort of spread the strain around.

Not that a fountain pen is by any means as stressing to the body as a ballpoint, because you don't need to press, but for example some of the pens are made to encourage a particular grip, others are not, some are a bit wider, as mentioned - for me at least a little easier to hold, but in my case I try to avoid pens that are on the heavier side, or have slippery metal sections, as those bring out the pain in my own wrist.

Anyway, switching it up - maybe even including a wood pencil you find comfortable - might - might I say, as my license is in teaching, not medicine, might help, and I can't see how it would hurt.

Definitely go some place and actually try some pens if you can - whole paragraphs, if they will let you, not just your signature. Buying an expensive pen should be a very happy experience, and it may not be if you buy one and then it turns out it is uncomfortable to use, so if you can't get to a pen shop between now and when you need the pen, maybe ordering some Pilot Varsities (I understand they also come in fine now) or a Bic Disposable, or an inexpensive Pilot pen, or all of them, might be a good way to get started and see if one type works better for you than another.

Again, just my mileage, and yours may certainly vary.
    Last edited by scrivelry; August 2nd, 2014 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I have a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome, and I find larger grips easier to deal with. I don't know if this would be true for you as well, but one of my favorite pens is the Bexley Poseidon Magnum. You can get a Bexley Poseidon Magnum II from Richard Binder (richardspens.com) with a steel nib for $194. It will be smooth, reliable, sturdy, and attractive (IMHO). Forget about the 18K Bexley nibs. The difference in price is ridiculous, and I'm not sure I even like the 18K nibs better than the steel when I'm working (as opposed to just playing) with my fountain pens (I do both). I also like the Gate City Belmont, but the grip of the Poseidon Magnum is larger, almost Montblanc 149 size.

Sailor does not make some of the smoothest nibs around, IMHO. They make some of the most unique nibs around, and they have excellent feed design for even, reliable flow. They can be excellent pens, but they may not be "all that" out of the box, depending on what you are looking for. The standard Sailor nibs are optimized for a certain style of writing, and if you happen to "finger write" a lot, leading to large variations in the angle the nib makes with the page, there are facets on either side of the standard nib tipping design that may drag across the page, which is unpleasant when it happens. Penmanship experts expect you not to write this way, but if you do, you may be sorely disappointed with a Sailor standard nib. The good news is that a nibmeister can smooth it out for you no matter how you write. I have owned 4 Sailors, a 1911M with a 14K H-M nib, a 1911L with a 21K H-B nib, a 1911L with a Cross Concord Emperor nib, and a Pro Gear (full-size) with a Naginata Togi MF. With the exception of the Naginata Togi MF, I have had to work to fix all of them to make them as smooth as most of my other pens. I felt that I was very successful in every case, but I am, at best, bemused at Sailor's admitted reputation of making smooth nibs. The Naginata Togi Medium-Fine even has textured tipping and feels more like a felt-tipped pen than a fountain pen. You can see the little pits in the tipping under a microscope. This is smooth? Not as I would use the term! It is intentional, and it is arguably desirable, but it is not exactly "smooth". So, be advised, Sailor arguably makes some of the best pens around, but if you aren't familiar with how they're different from other pens, you have a chance of being either thrilled or very disappointed. I've seen people be disappointed quite a few times.
    --
    Mike

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

dr.grace (August 3rd, 2014), Jeph (August 3rd, 2014), Lady Onogaro (August 2nd, 2014), mtnbiker62 (August 2nd, 2014)

Thanks

Agreed on using wider barrel pens if you get wrist strain. Smooth and wet also can help. I also prefer light to heavy.
    Best if you can try something out before you buy.
    Good luck!
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

I have arthritis in my hands and generally I find wider (and longer) pens to be the best choice. I always used to believe width was the key but length has a surprising effect on handling. If you do get a shorter pen I would suggest making sure it posts securely.

The other consideration is weight. Generally a lighter pen is best but some days a heavy pen is a pleasant change (contrary to logic) - you just let the weight of the pen rest on the paper and steer it like a ocean liner.

Having more than one pen is also valuable as (as mentioned) the variety can be a useful way of relieving pain ( especially on heavy usage days).

That all said the most important thing is to learn to write with a fountain pen. With a ball point (especially a cheap one) you need to press hard on the paper which requires a stiff grip. With a fountain pen you need to learn to press gently and grip lightly thus, (again as already mentioned) a wet flow may be useful. Thus buying from someone who checks the pen before sending it could also be a valuable choice.

Whatever choice you make - good luck and welcome.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

scrivelry (August 4th, 2014)

Thanks

I don't have carpal tunnel, but I have some nerve damage from repetitive movements, which can cause my thumb to twitch in time with my heart beat. Makes it very difficult to write cleanly because the twitch is hard to compensate for, and writing seems to exacerbate it. I now go in for wider pens more often than I did at first. I've switched from writing with ny nib creaper frequently (Very slim pen, probably around 6mm at the end of the section) to writing with my much beefier Ahab.

I got a Lamy 2000 as an everyday writer, and I love it, the section tapers to slim-ish at the end of the section, or I can hold the pen up higher near the barrel where it gets wide enough to be comfortable, it's light but not overly so, and is postable. I got mine from the Goulets, so I didn't have to worry about any QC problems the Lamy is rumored to have. I simply love it, and I use it even on days when my hand is nearly useless from the twitching.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Don't have carpal tunnel (that I know of) but with typical ballpoint or even gel pens my hand hurts quite a bit just form a couple page essay. Fountain pens I've found helps mitigate this problem (though cursive would help further)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whittg View Post
    I am new to the world of fountain pens and I have decided to take the leap and buy an everyday writer for under $200. This pen will be used everyday for taking notes in college as well as general writing. I am 42 and just went back to school for a new degree, this lead to a discovery that I have carpel tunnel. The pens I have been that have caught my eye the most are the Sailor Pro Gear Slim and the Pelikan M205 and 215. I love the look of the Sailor and it writes like a dream I have read. I have also read that Sailor makes some of the smoothest nibs around. The Pelikans have many more options with buying the one pen. Such as changing the nibs, which is a great option. Can anyone help me with some advice as to which pen what be the better choice? Or for any great pen under $200?
    Hullo.

First off I cannot advise you about your fountain pen choice as I know nothing of new pens, though yesterday at the London Geeks' meeting, I tried a Chinese pen called a Kaigalelu; apparently they cost about $16; I was amazed at how good it was; of course it didn't stand up against my choicest old Swans but it was really very good indeed.

Second I do know about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, which I contracted about 28 years ago whilst working as a professional guitarist, obviously most unsatisfactory, to say the least.. First my left hand, on which I had an operation, and then the following year, my right hand. The operation is a simple one, and though inevitably there is some pain from the wound afterwards, the operations have been a complete success. I hope this will encourage you.

Best wishes

Cob.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,753 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whittg View Post

I love Sailor Nibs, but be aware they are famous for 'feedback.' Some people enjoy this. Others don't.

Why not try one or two less expensive pens among the ones suggested here first? I have a Clear Candy that's a great writer, too.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Just a thought after reading another thread.

Anyone any feedback on the size of the various Edison models?

Definitely in the price range, nibs are meant to be smooth, QC is reported as good and customer service - well it's Brian (nuff said).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

I wouldn't recommend buying a pen based on its reputation for nib performance because it varies from pen to pen. Buy the pen you find comfortable and whose design you like then send it to a professional to be tuned. Every pen has the potential to write well.
    Last edited by dannzeman; August 10th, 2014 at 08:43 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (August 3rd, 2014), orfew (August 14th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

I am a 41 year old utility worker and have worked outside, everyday, for over 20 years. My hands get pretty stiff on a regular basis.

The best pen I've used under $200 is a Jinhao 159. It is big enough to hold comfortably when my hands ache. I can't use slim pens for very long as they are uncomfortable for me. The medium nib it comes with is very smooth, but if you need something finer for notes Goulet Pens has a selection of nibs that you can fit into the pen very easy.

The Jinhao is $12 whole dollars at Goulet Pens.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 00Photo For This Useful Post:

dannzeman (August 3rd, 2014), john (September 1st, 2014), Marsilius (August 3rd, 2014), orfew (August 14th, 2014), Sketchy (August 3rd, 2014), Tsuki yo (August 11th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    I am a 41 year old utility worker and have worked outside, everyday, for over 20 years. My hands get pretty stiff on a regular basis.

The best pen I've used under $200 is a Jinhao 159. It is big enough to hold comfortably when my hands ache. I can't use slim pens for very long as they are uncomfortable for me. The medium nib it comes with is very smooth, but if you need something finer for notes Goulet Pens has a selection of nibs that you can fit into the pen very easy.

The Jinhao is $12 whole dollars at Goulet Pens.
    They're even nicer when paired with a Goulet Nib and still pretty affordable (though I prefer the Pilot Metropolitan for the price, a little more reliable on starting up, but they're also lighter and smaller, which not everyone likes).

I don't use mine all that much because I have a lot of other pens I prefer, but for $30 or less (ie: factoring in nib replacement), it's an excellent option.

PS: The black paint on mine is still unscratched and unchipped after 6-7 months, but on a more expensive monteverde invincia deluxe, it's already brassing and chipping paint after 2 months.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Within less than a year, the cap threads on my Jinhao 159 would no longer grip the section threads. I also found the tapered grip rather uncomfortable. The whole point of a large grip is not to have your fingertips close together. For my case of CTS, the Jinhao is not large where it really needs to be and large (and heavy) where it doesn't need to be. I hate that pen. I just do. So take it with whatever grains of salt you find appropriate. I guess the beauty of it is that one can purchase that pen first, and if you like it, then you're done. If not, Laban sells some pens with big grips. Have not tried them, but some are a lot cheaper than the Bexley I mentioned. OTOH, one of the reasons I mentioned Richard Binder as a source is that any necessary adjustments will be made at no extra charge.
    Last edited by mhosea; August 3rd, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

I would like to suggest the TWSBI 580 as a pen that is a piston filler like the Pelikan and it has different sized nib options like the Pelikan. The price is around $50 USD.

Another pen (I believe it was suggested already), the LAMY Safari. Nib options abound. It's a converter filler.

Thanks

Regarding the Lamy Safari. Personally I steer clear of anything with a shape that guides finger placement. I need the freedom to hold a pen the way my hand feels is most comfortable at that time.

Banned
    Thanks

Take a look at the Namiki Falcon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GING GING View Post
    Take a look at the Namiki Falcon
    :P If you have problems with carpal tunnel or generally shaky hands I would not recommend a pen with a very soft nib such as the Falcon (I have a Pilot Falcon with a Soft Fine), especially since the nib was designed to mimic an asian brush pen, it's also very wet. Depending on your degree of pressure when trying to write normally you'll get quite a few variance in line thickness. And the extra wetness and varying line thickness may sort of randomize the drying times needed.

But compared to some other pens with soft nibs (ie: Platinum Century 3776 with a Soft fine or my Pilot Elite Mini with a 18K Soft Fine), it's kind of annoying to write with for normal usage.

Quote Originally Posted by carlc View Post
    Regarding the Lamy Safari. Personally I steer clear of anything with a shape that guides finger placement. I need the freedom to hold a pen the way my hand feels is most comfortable at that time.
    I've kind of gotten used to the Safari I have, though I don't use that nearly as often as one of my other pens (ie: a Pilot Elite Mini in my pocket, or one from my pen case [MB225, Platinum Century 3776, etc]). Though I do plan to take it with me to campus when the semester starts to get a better idea of how it goes longer writing sessions. I know that from last semester my montblanc 225 was my favorite, especially since the XXF nib and black eel dried pretty quickly.

But far as the Safari goes, I feel that the Pilot Metropolitan performs just as well if not better (fewer nib options though), for half the price. Plus the grip isn't angled off.

From what I understand (and from what I'm discovering myself), the heavier pens seem more comfortable at first, but over time as you get more control of the pen, the lighter pens tend to fare better for longer writing sessions. But everyone is different.
    Last edited by KBeezie; August 14th, 2014 at 09:30 AM.