Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pens I use in my Pocket.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default The Pens I use in my Pocket.

Currently I have three "Pocket" pens (ones I actually put naked into my pocket).

I have a Pilot Metropolitan (Black Crocodile with Fine Nib) in the photos for size comparison.

From Top to Bottom
    • Kaweco AL Sport (Raw, Medium Nib)
    • Pilot Petit1 (Blue-Black, Fine)
    • Pilot Elite Mini (18K Soft Fine)
    • Pilot Metropolitan (Black Crocodile, Fine)

Shown are the lengths capped, uncapped, and posted.

I purchased the Kaweco from a member on here selling both a AL Sport and Clear Classic Sport (immediately sold the clear one to a friend before I even got the two). The AL Sport is going to take some getting used to, especially without a clip (and as I understand it the slip on clip doesn't work very well with the Raw finish), but it's great how secure that screw on cap is. It's one of the kind of pens that I could just throw in my pocket without much of a problem, I just don't care for it's cartridge-only approach (currently got Akkerman Shocking Blue syringe filled into a cartridge). I really like feeling up the raw finish though, and to most people it just looks like a tool, like a screw driver or something. I'll probably order a clip, since they're only like $3, can't hurt to try.

The Petit1 is nearly identical in capped and posted size to the Kaweco, nearly the same thickness too. Very easy to pocket (though it's one that MUST have that clip, otherwise I wouldn't put it into my pocket). It's the one I like handing to people, if the nib springs, oh well, it was $3. Oddly the nib is just as smooth as my other pens. Looks like a "cutie pie" type of pen, but it works and easy to carry. I got it with a 3-pack of ink refills, which look like shortened pilot cartridges. No converter either, but it's much easier to refill those wide top cartridges, but I would likely just keep using the blue-black refills, they dry pretty quickly for most practical purposes. I mainly got it because I needed to hit $20 to get free shipping on a Uni Kuru-toga mechanical pencil and some NanoDia refills from JStationery.

My favorite everyday carry pen, especially directly into my pocket, Pilot Elite Mini with an 18K Soft Fine nib. Very smooth, not too thin, decent size capped, and nice feel when posted. It was way too wet with Noodler's Blue-Black (which is partially bulletproof), but with Liberty's Elysium it's just the right wetness to flow well, and dries quickly on paper, where as with the Blue-Black smeared way too easily for up to a minute. But with Elysium I'm looking at excellent flow, and around 3-5 second drying time on most everyday paper. It was sort of an upgrade from my nearly identical Korean Made (same era too) Pilot Elite with a steel extra-fine nib that I got from speerbob (that one was around $22 shipped, the Elite Mini ran me $36 shipped).

The Pilot Metropolitan isn't bad, but it's slightly too tall for comfortable pocket use. Since it doesn't have that long metal cap like my Elite does, I just don't really feel comfortable carrying that one around, it has a different "feel" to my elite when used regularly, I like the long grip on my Elite compared to it.

The Petit1 and Elite Mini are excellent in a shirt pocket, around the perfect height and clips on just right (The Elite has a nicer thickness to me). Where as the Kaweco AL Sport isn't as nice to use in a shirt pocket without a clip, falls over and lays horizontally which is uncomfortable for me.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Jeph (August 15th, 2014), RuiFromUK (August 19th, 2014), scrivelry (August 15th, 2014), sharmon202 (August 18th, 2014), Zhivago (August 16th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: The Pens I use in my Pocket.

Mine is an Ohto Tasche.

Thanks

I see your Kaweco Raw is nicely scratched up. I've never been able to warm up to the Kaweco Sport line, but having a pen the makers want you to mark up is tempting in a weird sort of way. Why aren't the clips supposed to work on them? Those newer Art Deco style clips from Kaweco are rather nice looking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
    I see your Kaweco Raw is nicely scratched up. I've never been able to warm up to the Kaweco Sport line, but having a pen the makers want you to mark up is tempting in a weird sort of way. Why aren't the clips supposed to work on them? Those newer Art Deco style clips from Kaweco are rather nice looking.
    I'm not aware of the art deco clips (would be neat to see those), I just know that from the reviews the slip-on clips don't seem to hold onto the aluminum finish all that well.

I purchased my Kaweco used so it already had some TLC going on, tell you one thing though, not afraid to throw it into my pocket with other stuff jiggling around.

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Mine is an Ohto Tasche.
    Those look sleek, solid yet inexpensive.

Thanks

Thanks

Classy, though they only work with the 'Special' versions which are thinner and longer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Classy, though they only work with the 'Special' versions which are thinner and longer.
    I think they'll work on the Sport line, too. I just checked ebay and a German listing mentions them working on the Sport line but for the 'AL Sport Touch' (whatever that is). So, perhaps they would only work on the plastic Sports.

Thanks

Actually, JetPens shows them on a few Sports.

http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Sport-...e-Raw/pd/12481

Banned
    Thanks

Default The Pens I use in my Pocket.

Last edited by GING GING; August 17th, 2014 at 07:04 PM. Reason: mispelling

Thanks

I am looking forward to getting my first pocket fountain pen! That's a great write up! Anyhow, my current pocket pen is a Swiss Army Knife with a built-in ballpoint. The size is perfect for the inside of any pocket. I pick it up and it always writes and proves to be very practical, especially with the additional features of the knife including the tweezers, knife, nail file, and bottle opener.

Thanks

The pen I use is whatever I feel like using that has ink in it. I work in a lock shop so I am reluctant to carry my nicest pens. If I am not going to work with my hands, I will carry one of my nicer pens. Modern or vintage, they get carried.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The pen I use is whatever I feel like using that has ink in it. I work in a lock shop so I am reluctant to carry my nicest pens. If I am not going to work with my hands, I will carry one of my nicer pens. Modern or vintage, they get carried.
    I usually expect to hear that least once in every thread especially when it comes to a specific niche, bout the same as whatever camera has film in it, or my best one is whatever one I have on me.

I understand the sentiment, but I am mainly talking bout some pens that may fare better in pants pockets by itself without the use of a case, where as most others easily run the risk of being snapped in half etc.

And I carry a lot of mine, modern or vintage as well, but for some I usually have a leather case for them, or carry them in my camera bag in another form of case. So not really about what will be carried, because eventually they all will be.

They're two different clips. Special N, Sports N. Meaning they made that design for both, when you linked me to the Special N, that one would only fit the special model. But nice to know they have that design for both.

They probably don't want them on the AL Sport (unofficially) Because it may scratch it up much more easily, but with the raw finish, you'd think that would be the goal.

PS: I went ahead and ordered the chrome version of that Sport N clip to see how it goes on my AL Sport Raw.
    Last edited by KBeezie; August 18th, 2014 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks

They're two different clips. Special N, Sports N. Meaning they made that design for both, when you linked me to the Special N, that one would only fit the special model. But nice to know they have that design for both.

They probably don't want them on the AL Sport (unofficially) Because it may scratch it up much more easily, but with the raw finish, you'd think that would be the goal.

PS: I went ahead and ordered the chrome version of that Sport N clip to see how it goes on my AL Sport Raw.
    You're right, I did originally link to the Special version. I didn't even notice the wording at first. Please do report back on your experience with the clip. I have to contact JetPens on another matter, but plan to ask about the clips working on the AL Sports.

Thanks

You're right, I did originally link to the Special version. I didn't even notice the wording at first. Please do report back on your experience with the clip. I have to contact JetPens on another matter, but plan to ask about the clips working on the AL Sports.

By the way the normal Kaweco clip arrived today and is sitting on my AL Sport right now, don't really see an issue except maybe the potential for it to slip off (but so far seems to be firm once I got it on). There's a definite color difference between raw aluminum and the nickel-like clip.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Zhivago (August 18th, 2014)

Thanks

I guess I misunderstood your initial message. I agree most pens carried in a pants pocket wouldn't survive. I have a Monteverde Stealth that seems like it could handle some abuse, it is, however, an average length pen that might not work carrying it in the pants pocket. As you might guess, I'm a shirt pocket carrier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I guess I misunderstood your initial message. I agree most pens carried in a pants pocket wouldn't survive. I have a Monteverde Stealth that seems like it could handle some abuse, it is, however, an average length pen that might not work carrying it in the pants pocket. As you might guess, I'm a shirt pocket carrier.
    Generally I wish I had more shirts with pockets, but at the same time a lot of the pens are either too tall or too heavy to fit into a shirt pocket (either I'm too big, or the pockets are getting smaller). Especially in the summer I'm usually just using a tshirt or polo of sort rather than a button up shirt with a pocket.

Thanks

The Kaweco clip nests pretty far down the cap. As a result it shows a lot of the cap when clipped to your shirt pocket. This may be a feature or a fault, depending on your attitude. I know I think about it when I am carrying my orange Ice Sport.

Thanks

Generally I wish I had more shirts with pockets, but at the same time a lot of the pens are either too tall or too heavy to fit into a shirt pocket (either I'm too big, or the pockets are getting smaller). Especially in the summer I'm usually just using a tshirt or polo of sort rather than a button up shirt with a pocket.
    Pockets are definitely getting smaller. They are still out there, but it can be a real struggle to find button down shirts with pockets deep enough to hold anything beyond small/pocket pens like the TWSBI Mini, Pilot Elite or Kaweco Sport. I find this rather annoying as I'm definitely one who likes to carry a pen in his shirt pocket.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Pockets are definitely getting smaller. They are still out there, but it can be a real struggle to find button down shirts with pockets deep enough to hold anything beyond small/pocket pens like the TWSBI Mini, Pilot Elite or Kaweco Sport. I find this rather annoying as I'm definitely one who likes to carry a pen in his shirt pocket.
    And women who use fountain pens are like: shirt pockets? What are those? Never heard of the things. :P So nice to have options that can go in pants pocket, or when even my skirts don't have pockets, my bag.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

For me when I think of a pocket pen it's the ease of use rather than the size that matters. If a pen is in my pocket it's most likely going to be for quick notes. I've been tempted by Kaweco many times but I can't be bothered unscrewing and posting the cap to write. My Pilot VP is my preferred pocket pen. All metal, click to write and a clip if I need it.