Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I The Only One Who Finds Cartridge Only Pens Really Frustrating?

Thanks

Default Am I The Only One Who Finds Cartridge Only Pens Really Frustrating?

There are quite a few pens that only take short international cartridges, most notably the KAWECO sport range of pens. I've become quite interested in another pen that falls into this category. But know learning that pen can only take short intentional cartridges, a pen that I was very likely to purchase in the next few months has become a pen that there are is a good chance I won't purchase.

Obviously there are ways around this e.g. mini converters, eye dropper fill, refiling cartridges etc. However non of these are as straight forward as a converter would be and in many cases 0.5-1cm of extra space in the barrel is all that would be needed to fit a smaller converter in, this normally wouldn't have a greatly detrimental effect on utility or Design whilst improving the functionality of the pen to a great deal.

Am I the only who avoids these smaller pens because of this?

Thanks

Default Re: Am I The Only One Who Finds Cartridge Only Pens Really Frustrating?

I have a kaweco mini squeeze convertor.... Dislike it verging on hate
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

You're not alone. I dislike all of the inks I've gotten in mini-carts so far and refuse to mess about with syringes. I just sold one of my two mini's that require the small carts and am deliberating on selling the other. I won't buy another pen that requires them. Just don't like 'em.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Private Reserve makes little carts. So, though I, too, avoid most small cart pens, I can still have decent colors when I do use them.
    FPGeeks= Nomdeplume
    FPN= mbankirer
    PenTrace= mb

Happy Writing!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Ouch! Most of my mini carts were from PR.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

There are some really tiny pens, such as the Kaweco Liliput, or the A.G. Spalding pens, where the tininess is one of the selling points, and using a short cartridge helps keep it that small. In the case of those particular pens, they are made of metal, so they can't be eyedroppered, and they aren't suitable for any converter I know of, even that useless Kaweco one. I see these as curiosities, something you would probably not pick as a daily writer, so it doesn't really bother me that the filling system isn't the best.

In general, I prefer something where you stick the nib in a bottle and work some sort of mechanism. I have a Kaweco Classic Sport that I'll probably fill with an eyedropper if I ever use it again, but it's a bit of a mystery why Kaweco couldn't design a decent converter for it.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Yeah I don't like carts so that has ruled out many of the tiny pens for me.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I love my Kaweco Sport, but I hate the squeeze converter. The only thing worse is cartridges.

I was interested in the Monteverde Tool Pen, even though it's a ridiculous gimmick. The inability of the pen to hold a converter is why I got over that initial lust to acquire.

I agree with the OP, but have no advice to offer. Cartridges bother me, and this is why I don't like ballpoints.

Thanks

I don't have a problem with carts as a delivery system it's the ink that can be a little boring. Proprietary carts and converters are more irritating.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

I own precisely zero pens that use a short cart. The reason why is left as an exercise for the reader.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

magickaleva (September 5th, 2014)

Thanks

I have an Ohto Tasche, short international cartridge only.
    But because it is a pocket pen, compromises had to be made to keep it short.
    And since I don't write a lot with that pen, filling the cartridge with an ink syringe is not that big of a deal for me.
    Were it a pen that would get regular use, then it would be a PiA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I own precisely zero pens that use a short cart. The reason why is left as an exercise for the reader.
    You wouldn't happen to read a lot of mathematics books would you? lol

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Quantum Sailor For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 29th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Sailor View Post
    You wouldn't happen to read a lot of mathematics books would you? lol
    Few people walking this Earth have a less close connection to mathematics than I. Well, except for counting all the measures rest until my first triangle entrance.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (September 9th, 2014)

Thanks

I love my Sports, they are designed for use on the road, in that situation, cartridges are much more practical than bottles. But: don't despair, there seems to be a piston version in the (re)making (it obviously was a pistonfiler to begin with since there simply were no cartridges at the time).
    here men from the pennet earth
    first set nib on the moon
    we came in peace for all penknid

18. The Following User Says Thank You to erpe For This Useful Post:

dneal (August 30th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,322 Posts

I'm indifferent to short cartridges, and have a few pens (mainly Kaweco's) that use them. I'm not sure I understand the animosity though.

I'd love for Kaweco to come out with a new Sports with piston filler.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the animosity though.
    No worries. Just takes time, and empathy.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I don't really understand why there are so few modern lever filers. It seems such an elegant, simple solution that would be much much simpler to implement than a piston, and less of a pita than short carts only
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

I only have two pens that are strictly cart loaded. A Kaweco AL Sport, and a Pilot Petit1. Oddly, I don't mind that the Petit1 is cartridge only (probably because it holds more ink in it's little cart than a short standard international does anyways), but am kind of iffy that the Kaweco is a cart-only pen.

Would not say that I *hate* it per se, as I don't always mind syringe filling a cartridge. But that may change if I run out of ink out in the wild (and I'm syringe filling from a bottle).

At least there's a ton of other options to pick from if you just hate cartridge only unless you manage to land your hands on a pen that you absolutely love, but that one fatal flaw (ie: like the Kaweco AL Sport). But Hate? I'd just make a decision, and move on.

But if you REALLY want to get the Kaweco Sport or AL Sport and must use a piston style converter, you can get this.

http://templarink.com/03_MiniConverter.html

Just make sure that when you order to specify that you want the "Skinny Mini" in the special instructions, as that's the one that was designed to work in the Kaweco sport line.

I did order one of those, but I probably won't get it until the middle of next week. I plan on reviewing it on my site.

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post
    I don't really understand why there are so few modern lever filers. It seems such an elegant, simple solution that would be much much simpler to implement than a piston, and less of a pita than short carts only

Not sure either, maybe most of the companies do not think there's a big market for it outside of vintage or that they don't trust users not to damage the lever?
    Last edited by KBeezie; August 30th, 2014 at 01:46 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

chatminouche (September 10th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    But if you REALLY want to get the Kaweco Sport or AL Sport and must use a piston style converter, you can get this.
    What does that thing hold, 4 drops if ink?

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    What does that thing hold, 4 drops if ink?
    Probably, gotta be less than what the Monteverde mini converter holds, guess we'll find out soon enough eh. But hey, when you need to refill, you won't have to deal with a pesky cartridge lol.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 30th, 2014)