Thread: So, You Have A Piece of Railroad Track

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Question So, You Have A Piece of Railroad Track

Do you polish it up and use it as a type of anvil for nib work/shaping or put it out in the yard for decoration?

Today as we finished breaking down my fiances fathers jewelry/lapidary workshop shed that he built himself nearly 35 years ago and under the floor was 2 foot section of railroad track. No explanation as to why it was there. I figured maybe if I polished it up to get all the rust off and smoothed it out it might make a good makeshift anvil of sorts.

Might any of you have other suggestions for pen related work it could be used for?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,023 Posts

Default Re: So, You Have A Piece of Railroad Track

Ha! Pretty cool dilemma!

Actually, I found a third way, but it's a pretty niche use: I have a section that got buffed and preserved (a bit) with some WD-40 to inhibit the rust, and has seen use for many years as an "anvil" sound effect in the percussion section of our symphony and on recording sessions. My father had found it for me and the only bad part is that it weighs enough that I hate to have to drag it to gigs!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (September 4th, 2014)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

There is a Finnish folk band which covers AC/CD's Thunderstruck and the lead singer uses a piece of track in the song

It certainly is heavy. I would say near 20 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Ha! Pretty cool dilemma!

Actually, I found a third way, but it's a pretty niche use: I have a section that got buffed and preserved (a bit) with some WD-40 to inhibit the rust, and has seen use for many years as an "anvil" sound effect in the percussion section of our symphony and on recording sessions. My father had found it for me and the only bad part is that it weighs enough that I hate to have to drag it to gigs!

Thanks

Oh, keep it and use it for an anvil. Or a paperweight. Or a backdrop for pen photos. Or in photos for, you know, when you do that Kickstarter campaign to fund your own Rail Road...
    Last edited by scrivelry; September 3rd, 2014 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks

The piece of track that I have is on the shed's floor, used to stop it from blowing over in a hard wind.

Thanks

I've seen them used as anvils in medieval recreationist armourers' shops. Perhaps a new hobby beckons?

You might be a while grinding it down to to the right dimension/profile for a point burnishing rig... on the other hand, you wouln't need a vice to mount them in:
    Given to daily lunatic raving, but also capable of more prolonged pen-centricity.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernst Bitterman For This Useful Post:

Cob (September 4th, 2014)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

This could have been what he used it for. Considering where it was it was in the original small section of shed he built first before adding on 2 new sections with heavy machines.