Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB Unbeautiful Parker 51

Thanks

Default WTB Unbeautiful Parker 51

I am looking for a Parker 51 to use as a writer, not for show (not a collector of this pen, but adore them for writing). I would like a fine point, smooth writer, perfect working condition, BUT, would be happy with a dinged cap, monograms, scratches on barrel, demi or full size, any color -- I just want a beater Parker 51 (aerometric) to write with an have as my EDC. I do need the clip to be sturdy and solid. I live some distance from easily getting to a pen show, and so I'm hoping someone here has something for me. I'm low on dough, high on desire for this pen. I am new to this forum, but am admin on a fountain pen group on FB, and so am not just a drop-in to the online pen world, am just new here (am excited about becoming an active member). WILL PAY BY PAYPAL, or whatever you want to work out. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Re: WTB Unbeautiful Parker 51

Welcome! You should know that there are no unbeautiful Parker 51s. That would be unpossible.

Enjoy the one you find.

Thanks

Yes! I should have said "unconventionally beautiful."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdaByron View Post
    Yes! I should have said "unconventionally beautiful."
    That's the ticket!

Thanks

Try contacting joel Hamilton at ink-pen.com. he accomodated me with a similar request for flex pens. None of the options he found were over $100 and the cheapest was around $50. Good luck with your search.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,745 Posts

See if Rick Krantz has anything. That's how I got my beater 51.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 806 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    See if Rick Krantz has anything. That's how I got my beater 51.
    Me too!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Me three!

Thanks

ugh, let me look.

send me an email at ckrantz3@msn.com

put in the subject "find me a beater 51"

I'll go hunting tonight

RIck

Thanks

any chance it could be a vac fill instead? I might be more able to make that happen, just sitting here at work thinking about it

Thanks

Must be aero...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Not to try to talk you into anything, but just sayin'...

Given the number of 51 aero's I've seen with gooey connectors and corroded breather tubes, and I have only handled but several 51's at this point, I'm not entirely convinced that a typical 51 aero is less likely to need repair over the next 10 years than a freshly restored vac 51. And if you want to experiment with different inks instead of say, just using Waterman Blue or some such, that translucent pli-glass sac will be tinted in no time to the point where the ink supply is difficult to make out. In a "beater" aero it is somewhat likely to be opaque when you receive it. The only argument I would be willing to make for an "not-overhauled but working" aero 51 over a restored vac 51 at this point is that the latex diaphragm in the vac might be susceptible to early breakdown with some modern inks. It remains frustrating that we don't have more collective information on which specific modern inks should be avoided.
    --
    Mike

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

AdaByron (October 17th, 2014), Laura N (October 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Thanks, but I've got a lot of pens I use to experiment with inks (and a lot more inks than I should have...). That's not why I want this pen. You mentioned Waterman blue, I'm thinking I really will be a Waterman Serenity Blue for this pen, and I'm not a collector. I don't care if the ink sac is stained or opaque -- I can tell if it's filled the same way I can tell my cheapo Hero copy is filled -- no more bubbles in the ink bottle. I didn't say "not overhauled but working." I said, not collectors grade, cosmetically. A gooey connector and/or corroded breather tube wouldn't really be good writing condition, which is what I said I wanted. And, I really want an aerometric.

Again, I'm not a collector.

ETA: I don't want to sound ungrateful for the information! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on this.
    Last edited by AdaByron; October 17th, 2014 at 10:11 AM.
    “A catless writer is almost inconceivable. It's a perverse taste, really, since it would be easier to write with a herd of buffalo in the room than even one cat; they make nests in the notes and bite the end of the pen and walk on the typewriter keys.” -- Barbara Holland

Thanks

A gooey connector and/or corroded breather tube wouldn't really be good writing condition[snip]
    In my experience that's not the case. A "51" aero with a gooey connector tends to write fine, and a corroded breather tube only affects how much ink the pen can take up after it starts to crumble. It's hard to shop for an aerometric that has a connector that is not at all gooey and a breather tube that is not at all corroded because this information is not usually available. These problems go undetected for years, and most aerometrics are sold without anyone evaluating the condition of the breather tube or connector because you have to disassemble the pen to find out. I didn't know why you in particular wanted an aerometric, but I knew why I did originally, and I was only thinking of practical, user reasons why anyone, any user, might prefer an aerometric. The interests of collectors never crossed my mind. Usually it's about durability, reliability, or some such, and what I'm saying is that my sense is that the population of aeros has aged to the point where many of them will require servicing within the normal lifespan of a vacumatic diaphragm. Now, if you replace a vac diaphragm, then you'll need to repeat the exercise several years later (10? 20?), but if you do a comprehensive overhaul of an aero, you might have another 70 years, maybe more. So that's still an advantage.
    Last edited by mhosea; October 17th, 2014 at 11:07 AM.
    --
    Mike

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

AdaByron (October 17th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,745 Posts

I don't know....fascinating thread, but I wouldn't look for a vac myself. All my (working) Parkers are either cart/con or aero. Just my preference.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Where's FarmBoy when you need him? I'm sure he could provide exactly what is needed, a cosmetically-challenged aero with verified-good innards.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    A gooey connector and/or corroded breather tube wouldn't really be good writing condition[snip]
    In my experience that's not the case. A "51" aero with a gooey connector tends to write fine, and a corroded breather tube only affects how much ink the pen can take up after it starts to crumble. It's hard to shop for an aerometric that has a connector that is not at all gooey and a breather tube that is not at all corroded because this information is not usually available. These problems go undetected for years, and most aerometrics are sold without anyone evaluating the condition of the breather tube or connector because you have to disassemble the pen to find out. I didn't know why you in particular wanted an aerometric, but I knew why I did originally, and I was only thinking of practical, user reasons why anyone, any user, might prefer an aerometric. The interests of collectors never crossed my mind. Usually it's about durability, reliability, or some such, and what I'm saying is that my sense is that the population of aeros has aged to the point where many of them will require servicing within the normal lifespan of a vacumatic diaphragm. Now, if you replace a vac diaphragm, then you'll need to repeat the exercise several years later (10? 20?), but if you do a comprehensive overhaul of an aero, you might have another 70 years, maybe more. So that's still an advantage.
    I was going to say the exact same thing.

I feel like it's common to read advice that prospective 51 buyers should always choose an aero because all it needs is a flush and it's good to go. That is, often, true. You often can flush an aero out until the water runs clear, ink it up and either write with it or sell it, or both. But from what I've seen, the internals of these can be in poor shape nonetheless. What does that mean, practically? Maybe in the end very little. Let's face it: you're buying a used pen, an old pen. Like other used pens, it may develop a problem in the future, and you then would either have to buy a new one or fix it.

For my money, the main advantage of the aero is that it is easier (faster) to flush out. That's especially relevant if you change inks a lot. And, as Rick said, you probably are safer using high maintenance inks in an aero. Also, if you are buying one to restore yourself, an aero is a lot easier.

I'm not trying to sway you at all, Ada. You want an aero, so you should get an aero. I'm just speaking generally.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

AdaByron (October 17th, 2014), Jon Szanto (October 17th, 2014)

Thanks

I want an aero because both of my grandparents had aeros, and I was allowed to help fill them sometimes as a child. Not write with them, but fill them. I was allowed one squeeze, and everytime I'd see one of them write with their pen, I would think "I'll get to squeeze it again soon in the ink bottle."

I can't think of anything that would trump that for me, honestly, but I'm enjoying learning a lot about this all the same.
    “A catless writer is almost inconceivable. It's a perverse taste, really, since it would be easier to write with a herd of buffalo in the room than even one cat; they make nests in the notes and bite the end of the pen and walk on the typewriter keys.” -- Barbara Holland

23. The Following User Says Thank You to AdaByron For This Useful Post:

GING GING (October 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

I want an aero because both of my grandparents had aeros, and I was allowed to help fill them sometimes as a child. Not write with them, but fill them. I was allowed one squeeze, and everytime I'd see one of them write with their pen, I would think "I'll get to squeeze it again soon in the ink bottle."
    OK, I utterly failed to anticipate this reason!

Ironically, I have a good aero in my pocket today, though cosmetically excellent. I actually had it up for sale here last week. When it didn't go for $60 after a week, I decided to pull it, and I thought why not see if all my adjustments prior to putting it up for sale paid off (it had been dry, but I adjusted the hood as the Parker Repair Manual describes, except I used a hair dryer instead of an alcohol lamp). Unfortunately, I like it a lot now, so I'm glad it didn't sell.
    Last edited by mhosea; October 17th, 2014 at 12:01 PM.
    --
    Mike

25. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I can't think of anything that would trump that for me, honestly, but I'm enjoying learning a lot about this all the same.
    I figured it was something like that. But I think Rick's post set us all thinking. Pen sellers aren't usually as candid as Rick is, so most people don't really know what's under the hood. Sorry for the pun.

What an excellent thread.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

AdaByron (October 17th, 2014), Jon Szanto (October 17th, 2014)