Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking For Lanyard/guard Information

Thanks

Default Re: Looking For Lanyard/guard Information

I did not build a slide for this lanyard as it is not long enough to need one and the original slide is sliding down when worn, so that I don't know yet how I should make a slide.

The metal parts I bought from www.goldschmiedebedarf.de, but I am sure there are lot of other suppliers. The parts are:

- Bolt Ring 7mm 8ct Yellow Gold (7mm is the outer diameter of the bolt ring without attachments)
    - Gold-Wire 1mm 8ct Yellow Gold (I used 2cm for the double ring, but additional length makes bending of the wire easier)
    - Gold Solder 8ct Yellow Gold Hard (Made this myself. You need only tiny amounts for this.)

And as a replacement ring for the pen:

- Jump Ring Round (Open) 6mm 8ct Yellow Gold (6mm is the outer diameter. The wire itself is 1mm thick. So it can be also the wire from above used to make the ring. The original ring has a diameter of nearly 7mm and a wire thickness of 1.5mm, but I felt that a bit thinner looked better.)

And obviously some tools (flame, flux, pliers, etc.) are necessary.

Cepasaccus

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    Made today my first proper lanyard. It is for a Waterman's Ideal 42 1/2 V in black with a 9kt gold band hallmarked 1927/28.

The ribbon is a modern plastic ribbon. I have chosen it because of its robustness compared to vintage silk ribbon. It also doesn't look bad and can be easily glued. So no fine stitches necessary. The folding of the ribbon is like my original Waterman's lanyard. Both ends are folded in (not just one) as I believe now is the case with my original lanyard. The length is a bit over 40cm folded.

Because I can't get 9kt in Germany, I used for all metal 8kt gold. I replaced the original ring of the pen because it has lost all its gold plating. Replacement ring and bolt ring are yellow gold, perhaps a bit light. The wire I used for the double ring is also supposed to be yellow gold, but it has a faint reddish hue which would fit well to the cap band. The solder I made is a light yellow gold, so color is not really uniform depending on the lighting. The bolt ring is with "border", but unlike the original bolt ring it is not used to operate the bolt.

The cost for all materials for this one lanyard was 17 Euro.

Cepasaccus
    Impressive. Just like the vintages one. Great work.

Thanks

Thanks!

I did the double ring like in the drawing on the left. But there is the solder and the little step visible on the big ring. With the middle variant this would be hidden by the ribbon. There is also the possibility to do this with one wire. I think I have seen this on old lanyards. It works perhaps even without soldering, but this is difficult to form.

Cepasaccus
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cepasaccus For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (September 26th, 2015)

Thanks

Got 9kt gold stuff from UK. The color fits much better. When I have found again my 9kt solder I will make the middle type of the double ring.

Cepasaccus

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cepasaccus For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (October 6th, 2015)

Thanks

That is now the 9ct stuff which has a much better color. I also managed to do the soldering better.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cepasaccus For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (October 27th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Big improvement. Looks fabulous.

Thanks

Thanks! I made this comparison of boltrings.

From left to right: 18kt yellow gold, 8kt yellow gold (that was my first attempt), 9kt yellow gold (this is the second version), 9kt red gold, sterling silver, sterling swivel, sterling ring.

The swivel is the easy way to make a lanyard, because you just need to add the ribbon.

Cepasaccus

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cepasaccus For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (October 28th, 2015)