Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen suggestions for a newbie

Thanks

Default Pen suggestions for a newbie

Greetings all. While I have been writing in earnest for a little over a year now, only recently have I moved to using fountain pens. I started with a cheap three-pack of medium nib pens from Office Depot (too wet for my taste) and then ordered a Nemosine Limited Fine nib from Amazon and fell in love with it. I know it's still an entry level pen, but it's satisfied me for now...until the plastic at the end of the cap began to chip and break off. I figured with it being plastic it would crack at some point, but not 10 months in. It writes really well, and I like to cartridge system (I picked up a pack of 30 cartridges from Hobby Lobby with a variety of colors to play with).

Now that I got my feet wet, I'm now looking to add to my collection and am not sure where to start. I stopped by a fine pen store and saw too large a selection to narrow down, but I did ask for some advice there and the saleslady let me test drive a Faber-Castell Emotion, which wrote very well. It is definitely on my Christmas list!

For those of you who have much more experience than I, I'd like to get your suggestions on where to go next. I'd like to know what a good pen would be in the $50-75 range, and then in the $75-150 range. (I'm not in the budget to get beyond $150 at this time).

Thank you in advance,
    Robert

Thanks

Default Re: Pen suggestions for a newbie

Welcome, Robert.

I am not here to answer your question. In fact, I am probably the last person you would want advice from in this niche, since I abhor Nemosine, do not like C/C systems, and do not intend to expand my collection in the manner which you intend.

I can say that if you enjoyed a Nemosine, anything else will probably feel and write like a dream. They offer a lifetime warranty, so you should be able to contact them through xfountainpens.com for a replacement. Their product may be poo, but at least they stand behind it.

Never fear. Someone friendly and knowledgeable will be along to assist you.
    Last edited by Dreck; October 21st, 2014 at 08:49 AM.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

Thanks

I'm still very new into fountain pens the pen I started with was a TWSBI 580 in fine and I love it and it holds a TON of ink it is also a piston filler which I enjoy. It is $50 from GouletPens and pick you out a bottle of ink or some samples it will work out much better than cartridges.

If you wanted to stay with cartridges another pen I have used and really enjoy that is inexpensive ($15) is the Pilot Metropolitan. Its an all metal pen that writes well and uses ether a converter or cartridges. Another pen you could try would be a Monteverde Intima, they are around $50-$60 and can use ether converter or cartridge. I like the Volcano Grey.

Depending on what you want the $100-$150 mark you can get ALOT of good pens. I just got my first pen in this range. I had it narrowed down to a Pilot Custom 74, Pilot Vanishing Point, or a Lamy 2000. I got a good deal from another forum member on a very lightly used Vanishing Point so that what I went with. I think the Lamy 2000 will be the next pen I pick up.

The Vanishing Point you can use cartridges or a converter has a great weight and balance to it and is very nice for me at work cause its a click out fountain pen so I can make quick notes and not have to worry with the cap.

Hope this helps. I know there are alot of good people here with alot of good advice.
    Last edited by Wrathen; October 21st, 2014 at 08:46 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wrathen For This Useful Post:

robertChiefsFan (October 21st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Hello Robert
    Welcome to the slippery slope of fountain pens. I see you're starting down the slope. Been there and done it. I think in the beginning it's important to try out as many pens as possible. You'll find your tastes will change as time progresses. Just have fun. Realize you may end up with some pens that you don't like, but they will allow you to grow in the hobby.

That all said, my first pen which I enjoy is the pilot prera. It was around the $40 mark. Other people will pop in and recommend.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

It is hard to go wrong with any fountain pen from Faber Castell or Graf von Faber Castell. They are definitely premium top tier products from a company known for great customer support.

Another one I'd suggest you look at that is near the top of your range would be the Caran d'Ache Ecridor. It comes in a variety of styles, most have great steel nibs but the "55" model also has a gold nib IIRC. There is the standard length and also a shorter model.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

That was a great idea to go to a pen store. I will make some pen suggestions, as others will, but my best advice to you is to listen to all of these, look up the pens on the internet, think about what you really want, and then go to the pen store and buy something you like there, even if it's on nobody's list and isn't what you thought going in. Trying them in person is the best idea.

It would help narrow suggestions to know what you like in a pen. Nib width -- do you like extra-fine or broad? Size and weight. Style -- traditional like a Pelikan or more modern like a Lamy 2000. There's no right answer. It's your pen, and it's your money. The only person you need to please in this is yourself.

Here are some thoughts, off the top of my head.

$50 - $75

In my view, this price range entails a lot of compromises. Some of these suggestions are closer to $80, too. A Lamy Studio is a nice looking pen, with a steel nib (at that price) that's the same as that found on the Safari and Al-Star. A heavy pen. Pilot Prera (try Jetpens for the solid-color ones) is another nice pen with a steel nib, kind of the opposite of the Studio. The Japanese nibs run narrower than the Lamy's nibs will. It's a light pen, and very short, so most people will have to use it posted. Kaweco AL-Sport is a fun pen, very short until you pull off the cap, with no clip unless you add one. It is made for cartridges. Apparently there is a converter available, but I have read mixed reviews. There is also the TWSBI; I can't recommend them due to manufacturing issues but many people like them.

$75 - $150

Candidly, I would focus here. You can get a variety of fine pens for under $150. The Lamy 2000 is a great pen if you like the style and like holding it. Second is the Pilot Vanishing Point -- ditto. It retracts, which is fun, but it's heavy. Pilot has a Custom 74 that is more traditional in style, albeit a demonstrator. Sailor makes two very nice pens, the Sapporo and the 1911M, if you like Sailor nibs, which are hard rather than soft and have feedback rather than being glass smooth. I love Sailor nibs, but not everyone does. All of the Japanese pens I mention have finer nibs. And Pelikan's M200 series is a very nice pen, which gets you into the Pelikan system, albeit with a steel nib. Another excellent steel nib pen would be an Edison. Those are nice pens, with great service behind them, made by Brian Gray. I believe his production pens, however, are only offered by online retailers. Here is a link to those.

Thanks

I suggest that you forego the $100-$150 range for now as there are just far too many options and it will depend on your own tastes and you do not know what those are yet.

I suggest that instead of new, that you go vintage and grab a Parker 45. Basic models are routinely under $20 and should never go above $40, they (almost) always work, can be fully disassembled without any special tools, and take Parker carts as well as a converter. It is small and light and has no threads to bite on your fingers.

I had an eMotion and gave it away. It was a quality pen but just did not fit well with my tastes. It had no other issues. You have tried it and like it very much so there you go. We both have different opinions and both are right at the same time. That is why suggestions are good to give you places to start looking but in the end it is only your taste that matters. Enjoy the search.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (October 21st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 576 Posts

Just get a 51.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (October 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Have a good think about what you like. Do you like light pens or heavy? big or small? metal or acrylic? bare metal or lacquer? colours or monochrome? That will drive your choices.

For instance if you like wood and metal, Faber Castell is absolutely the place to go. Their nibs are good and the pens have real style, and are well made.

If you like colourful acrylics, in the upper price range you can't do much better than the production line Edison pens. Nibs are okay as they come, though I think worth investing in having them tuned/Binderized/nibmonstered.

And of course for the Bauhaus monochrome lover, or modern minimalist, there's the Lamy 2000. It's a classic, particularly if you like broad nibs - I don't like the fine nibs so much and I think a lot of people find their sweet spot a bit skimpy, but the broads are absolute melted butter!

But I'd say, don't blow your budget all at once. It's worth keeping some pocket money to play around with in cheaper pens, to get a bit of experience playing around with different nibs, different filling systems, different styles. I learned a lot from quite junky Chinese pens when I started out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (October 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Thank you all for the variety of suggestions, ideas, and things to think about! As I have done some research today, I admit that I am finding that the charm of using a fountain pen is the filling of the pen with ink. With that thought in mind, I now have more to think about in what kind of pens I want to add to my collection. I do like the simplicity of the cartridge method, but am not at all opposed to having a collection of bottled inks sitting on my desk, too. Thank you, again, for the quick responses and suggestions - they are very much appreciated! I look forward to seeing where this journey into writing takes me!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,500 Times in 1,754 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robertChiefsFan View Post
    Thank you all for the variety of suggestions, ideas, and things to think about! As I have done some research today, I admit that I am finding that the charm of using a fountain pen is the filling of the pen with ink. With that thought in mind, I now have more to think about in what kind of pens I want to add to my collection. I do like the simplicity of the cartridge method, but am not at all opposed to having a collection of bottled inks sitting on my desk, too. Thank you, again, for the quick responses and suggestions - they are very much appreciated! I look forward to seeing where this journey into writing takes me!
    Of course you know that cartridges can be refilled from bottled ink, using a plastic pipette or a doohickey syringey thingy sold by Goulet.

I have four Nemosines, thinking of adding two more.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

For those of you who have much more experience than I, I'd like to get your suggestions on where to go next. I'd like to know what a good pen would be in the $50-75 range, and then in the $75-150 range. (I'm not in the budget to get beyond $150 at this time).
    Here are my choices (within my limited range of familiarity)
    New
    Less than $50
    - Lamy; Safari, Al Star, joy, Logo
    - Pilot; 78G, Metropolitan

$50-75
    - Lamy; cp1

$75-150
    - Lamy; Studio, 2000
    - Pelikan; M150, M205 (on sale)

Personally, I go semi-vintage/vintage, but the prices are all over the map based on the specific pen:
    - Esterbrook: LJ
    - Eversharp: Skyline
    - Parker: 45, 51, 75, 180, Classic, Vac
    - Pelikan: M1xx series
    - Sheaffer: snorkel, touchdown, Imperial, Targa

As was mentioned ergonomics enter the picture also.
    There are a LOT of good pens that I won't use, because I do not like the way it feels in my hand (too fat, too heavy, bad balance, etc)
    Last edited by ac12; October 21st, 2014 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks

I am also a vintage guy and niw someone who repairs pens. That being said I will offer a modern pen and a vintage pen that I would recommend.

Karas Kustoms Ink - 85-105 USD currently they are running a 15% off discount code for two weeks or so which puts this in your middle range. The pen is the epitome of an EDC fountain pen. All metal, very rugged and tough but surprisingly elegant writing experience. It comes with a piston converter that holds quite a decent amount of ink. Nib sizes are German Fine, Medium and Broad, Schmidt Nib units. My Fine lays down a wondedfully wet, smooth line and is a joy to write with. The design is modern but with the anodization and colors available the pen takes on a personality rather than just a cold metal tool.

Eversharp Skyline - 50-150 USD, those are restored/repaired prices. These are my favorite pens. Sure they are a tad more delicate than Sheaffers and Parkers from the same time period, but those pens did have the sleek, sensual lines that the Skyline does. They don't have the majestic flex nibs or equally near needlepoint rigid accounting nibs. They variety of mix and match styles available in barrel, cap and derby colors make these pens very customizable even 70 yeara later. Their feeds are MAGNIFICENT, fully maximizing the potential of the nibs. The clip system is super strong ensuring it won't gonflying off your person. And the writing experience is one I can't find in other pens. These pens altered my life where writing was concerned.

Those are my two suggestions. Whatever you choose, may the pen serve to help you create wonderful new memories!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Welcome, Robert.

Could you go back to the pen store and try a bunch more? Ask to try different nib sizes too. Then look inside and see how they fill (cartridge, convertor, piston) so you know what that's like too.

Think what struck you most. Then just dive in!

Don't forget the ink and paper.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Greetings all. While I have been writing in earnest for a little over a year now, only recently have I moved to using fountain pens....
    rCF I bought my first fountain pen because of the amount of (creative) writing I had to do. So my recommendation is a pen that you find comfortable. Something easy to maintain and use.

Personally I would look at modern pens. When you start getting into the hobby more then you can get your vintage groove on.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I would humbly suggest considering a Pelikan M200.

Here's why. They can be had for a reasonable price new from many places in a variety of lovely colors. (I'd suggest a demonstrator so you can ENJOY all that ink sloshing around in the barrel.) The nib units are interchangable, and being steel are pretty darn affordable. So you can play around and discover which nibs you really enjoy at a reasonable cost. You can even (if you act fast) get a stub or italic from Richard Binder (richardspens.com) for it at a really reasonable price for a Binder ground nib. One pen, many, many writing experiences.

They are well built pens that will last you many years. Well balanced, just a joy to write with. And sort of like skittles, they come in soooo many colors to collect.

And then, then you can start to try some antique Pelikans, and then you will know pen Nirvana. Truly. I've written with everything from modern Nakayas that cost $1k+ to antique Montblancs (and modern) and hands down, without a doubt it is the antique Pelikans that stand quietly above them all. When I have Richard Binder, or John Mottishaw grind a nib for me? They do their best to mimic an antique Pelikan. They are that good.
    Last edited by tandaina; October 23rd, 2014 at 12:26 AM.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

robertChiefsFan (October 24th, 2014)

Thanks

So where does one find the Pelikan M200? I looked online and was not able to find it readily available.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

So where does one find the Pelikan M200? I looked online and was not able to find it readily available.
    Gold spot pens has them, but for more than I'd pay. Amazon has the boring old black ones (which are great pens, sure but I prefer the demonstrators.). Pen Boutique has them as well, with the italic nib which is nice and a little harder to find.

Easiest place though is through a member of this forum. Like here and here.

Send him an email (in his listings) about what pen you want and he'll hook you up. Reliable seller.

I bought like ONE pen from a regular merchant and almost all my other pens have come from forum members or pen shows. Way better deals from fellow collectors!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Faber Castell basic because they have smooth nibs, use cartridge or converters are large in size and come in multiple styles.

Man that was an intense run on sentence

Thanks

Look for Pelikan M200 or M205.
    The 200 is gold trim, the 205 is with silverish trim
    PenChalet had some on sale.