Thread: Platinum 3776 Music Nib Review

Thanks

Default Platinum 3776 Music Nib Review

Platinum 3776 Music Nib Review

Packaging: I am one to notice quality packaging. Purchasing an expensive pen needs to fulfill all areas of the experience including the way the pen is presented to you when it arrives. From the exterior cardboard box, the packaging looks promising. Removing the cardboard reveals a shiny black box with gold accents and the “Platinum” name. The experience goes down hill from here.

IMG_1713.jpg

The box is made of incredibly cheap plastic. Inside, you’ll find the pen, a boxed converter, a single Platinum cartridge, and the necessary instructions/warranty booklet. Overall, not bad, but I am disappointed by the material choices.

IMG_1716.jpg

Appearance/Feel in the Hand: It’s the classic shiny black resin with gold trim. There are two gold bands at the very top and at the very bottom of the pen. The middle gold band on the cap says, “Platinum #3776 Japan”. It’s a pleasing look but it’s nothing to stare at for it’s impeccable beauty. I found that after using it for nearly a year, the pen body does pick up micro scratches that are visible under the right lighting conditions. I carry my $100+ pens in a Franklin-Christoph 2 pen case, which offers fantastic protection. This resin doesn’t hold up to micro scratches.

IMG_1719.jpg

The feel of the resin is very smooth and cold to the touch when you first lift the pen. While writing, the grip section doesn’t heat up nor does it get oily. It’s actually quite a comfy pen to hold. The worst part about the way it feels in the hand is due to the weight. The pen is only 20 grams, capped. What’s odd is that the 20 grams is distributed evenly between the pen body and the cap. Writing with the pen unposted is nearly impossible. It’s a bit short and 10 grams in the hand just feels awkward to control. Unfortunately, posting the pen causes significantly more of those micro scratches I mentioned before.

IMG_1726.jpg

Inking and Writing: Unscrewing the section, you’ll find that the barrel actually screws onto metal threads. This impressed me. I’m not at all scared for the durability of this pen due to its metal core. The Platinum converter is probably the nicest converter that you’ll find. The gold trim is actually metal, the knob turns securely and smoothly, and the capacity is quite large. The best part is that you can completely disassemble it! If you ever find that the piston isn’t moving up or down as smoothly, just take it apart and throw some silicone grease on it!

IMG_1724.jpg

Inking the pen is an effortless process. It inks just like any other converter pen. Just stick the nib in a bottle and twist the converter. I usually get a full filling from the first try with this pen.

The nib is truly unique. It’s a “music” nib made of 14k gold. It has three tines and two breather holes. The nib says, “#3776”, a Platinum “P” logo, “14K MUSIC”, and “585”. The nib is quite large. Here it is compared to the Pilot Metropolitan:

IMG_1722.jpg

I have mixed feelings about the writing experience. The nib and feed system of this pen is wonderful. I like my pens wet and this pen truly delivers that. You can see that from the saturation of the ink in the writing sample. This pen does have natural line variation but it’s nowhere near a stub or an italic in terms of the difference between the cross strokes and the down strokes. The smoothness of the nib is a pleasant surprise but it does have an unfortunate audible feedback. That’s the only way I can describe it. While writing, you don’t actually feel any feedback in the hand but you hear that papery shuffle of the nib moving on the surface. You can hear this from the writing sample in the video. I couldn’t stand that sound at first; it was like nails on a chalkboard for me. After some writing, I became used to it. I find this pen amazing in a noisy café because I’m deaf to the sound and I truly experience the smooth nature of this nib. Lastly, there is absolutely no spring in this nib. It’s unfortunate but not a deal breaker for me. I like to have a variety.

IMG_1730.jpg

Conclusion/Who it’s for: In this part of my fountain pen reviews, I want to talk about how a pen fits into my life style as a college student. As you can imagine, this pen is not the most practical for note taking in class. Although I have written lecture notes with this pen, I noticed that it lays down so much ink and writes with such a thick line that I sometimes smeared ink while closely listening to the professor talk. For this reason alone, I don’t use this pen in class.

This pen isn’t great for calligraphy either, as I originally thought it would be due to the stub appearance of the nib. As mentioned before, the nib doesn’t produce as sharp of a line as a stub or italic. You can get more variation from the nib if you write at a vertical angle, but who does that?

So what do I use this pen for? Personally, I like to write reflection essays on a lot of the books I read. This pen is wonderful for such a task. My handwriting seems to be more consistent with a wide nib and the smoothness/consistency of the ink flow lets me write for hours without causing hand/wrist pain. I’ve also used this pen when taking textbook notes at home. It’s not always practical to use it for this task as I occasionally draw diagrams or schematics, which forces me to use a different pen.

I ink this pen about once a month. Considering I use it to write essays, I quickly go through the converter in 2-3 days. So would I buy it again? Absolutely. The unique nib of the pen makes it worth the cost. Even if you only use it for 2-3 days of the month, you’ll be happy while doing so.

Video will be coming soon!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilya2193 For This Useful Post:

gbryal (October 22nd, 2014), Mesu (October 31st, 2014), Tracy Lee (October 24th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: Platinum 3776 Music Nib Review

Thanks for the review.

I am a huge fan of the Platinum music nibs. The nib is smooth and has a soft feel on a wide range of papers and different inks too.

The nib is very wet. Inks like Diamine just gush out of it. But drier inks work well and provide just the right amount of flow.

This is Platinum 3776 Balance. The 3776 Century feels better built.