Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dollar Value Limit of EDC pens?

Thanks

Default Dollar Value Limit of EDC pens?

Do you guys have a dollar limit on the value of the pens that you're willing to stick in the pen case and carry around as daily writers?
    For example, my current dream(grail pen that is out of reach) pen is a Montblanc 136PL. Perfect size, amazing ink capacity, and beautiful finish, but also worth thousands of dollars. ($4000? not sure, just a quick guesstimate.)

2c739f09f3e5292109e3e6145b830f8b.jpg

Would you carry it around everyday to the office?
    Last edited by ChrisC; October 30th, 2014 at 09:09 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Dollar Value Limit of EDC pens?

Certainly I would carry and use it when it got its turn in rotation.

Thanks

It would certainly depend on what kind of office you work in.....gorgeous pen BTW.

Thanks

Oh it's not my pen haha.
    I wish~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Sure. As long as I could carry it in a pen case or put it in a slot in my briefcase.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I don't really limit this. But I worked in a very small tight knit office, not the sort of place where someone was going to steal my pens. And my pens all live in their pen case when not in use so they aren't likely to roll off a desk or get misplaced, etc. All my pens get used and get carried, just how it is.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

I only carry pens I'm comfortable losing. I've been lucky in that department so far (knocks wood).

However, I once thought I had lost a Montblanc Stainless Steel Solitaire Ballpoint. It turned up 6 months later under the driver's seat of my car after it had falled out of my pocket.

Thanks

I have lost a grail pen. Not super expensive, but much valued( a Duofold).

I know this is not likely to be anyone else's grail pen, but it was mine. It was also the first pen I've lost in decades, and I'd only had it a couple of months.

Still bugs me. But I enjoyed the pen when I had it. I'm hoping it went to a good home.

I'd still carry it I think. I want to determine how I lost it, but if I can't carry it, a pen has much less actual value to me.
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Alexis de Tocqeuville "Democracy in America" (George Lawrence Translation)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LagNut For This Useful Post:

DMurphy (October 31st, 2014)

Thanks

I work in retail (student), so the maximum EDC value of the pen I carry tends to be a lot lower than it would be in an office, due to the multiple accidents that could happen, or just theft by customers/employees.

I generally don't bring any pen worth more than $20-30, which usually means I bring a Lamy Safari or an old half-broken Esterbrook. I know if I lost those I wouldn't feel too bad, compared to losing a rare vintage pen or an expensive modern pen.

Thanks

If I had that pen I would use it and carry it everyday. I have some expensive pens and I never worry about carrying them. After all, what is the purpose in having them if I am not comfortable using them on a regular basis?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to orfew For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (October 31st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I don't mind the value, but I do like the pen to be easily replaceable, although currently the only pen in my EDC is a Waterman's 14s safety from 1916...
    I think it depends on where you are going to take the pen.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

My EDC is probably less than $40, depending on what I am carrying.
    On the low end is the Baoer 388 which cost me less than $4 each, in a 6-pack.
    The upper end are: Lamy Safari, Parker Classic, and Parker 88.

If I felt like it, I could pull out a Parker 45, 21 Super, 51 Special, or an Esterbrook LJ.
    All depends on where I am going.

While I have better/more expensive pens, I do not feel like carrying them outside the house.
    And as was said, where I go will affect what I carry. As the risk goes up, the value of the pen I carry goes down.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Probably about as much as I would spend on a pen. Which around $100 is pushing it. I do have a few pens that retail for a bit over $100, but either by trade or sale I haven't spent more than $100 for any of my pens.

I'm pretty comfortable with most of the pens I have that range around $40-60 in value as an EDC, mostly vintage though.

The thing that prevents them from being an EDC is not the value to me, but the materials, like if it's resin with a standard cap length I'm more or less reluctant to just carry it around without protection.

Thanks

I work in retail management and my EDC pens have shifted from Sheaffer school pens, to Sheaffer Touchdown, to my current EDC pens, a Karas Kustoms INK and a Parker 45. I don't have a dollar limit per se, but probably wouldn't carry anything more expensive than a Pilot VP unless it was another all metal pen. That being said I still carry a cheapo Bic for people who can't seem to keep their own pens in their possesoon.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

I do give some thought to the pens before they get put in a case and then in the murse/satchel/messenger bag. However, it isn't really the $ amount, but could I replace the pen if something happened? I lean towards vintage, and most of the newer pens could just be repurchased, but the older ones, and certainly the ones that mean something special to me, are only taken with due consideration.

The most valuable pens stay home, but that doesn't mean they are the most expensive.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (October 31st, 2014), Replete (November 4th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I do give some thought to the pens before they get put in a case and then in the murse/satchel/messenger bag. However, it isn't really the $ amount, but could I replace the pen if something happened? I lean towards vintage, and most of the newer pens could just be repurchased, but the older ones, and certainly the ones that mean something special to me, are only taken with due consideration.

The most valuable pens stay home, but that doesn't mean they are the most expensive.
    *This*... they could be replaced price-wise, but it just isn't the same pen as before if you're into vintage.

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never put a dollar amount on my EDC. What I prefer to do is to EDC only pens which are not particularly attention-grabbing. I used to carry my Edison or my Pilot Custom 823 or even my Pilot Justus. I went through a spell of only carrying the Noodler's pens (not a problem, since I love using them). Trouble was that a lot of them attracted attention because they were reasonably attractive, especially the acrylic models.

Now, I carry a Lamy 2000. What I love is that it doesn't attract any attention, but it's a very good pen. People don't even notice it because it looks a lot like a cheap plastic marker. It's also rugged enough to handle every-day use.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Replete (November 4th, 2014)

Thanks

None of my pens cost over $200 so it doesn't worry me. If I had expensive pens I would think twice about carrying them only because my daily activities aren't always the same.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel View Post
    I've never put a dollar amount on my EDC. What I prefer to do is to EDC only pens which are not particularly attention-grabbing. I used to carry my Edison or my Pilot Custom 823 or even my Pilot Justus. I went through a spell of only carrying the Noodler's pens (not a problem, since I love using them). Trouble was that a lot of them attracted attention because they were reasonably attractive, especially the acrylic models.

Now, I carry a Lamy 2000. What I love is that it doesn't attract any attention, but it's a very good pen. People don't even notice it because it looks a lot like a cheap plastic marker. It's also rugged enough to handle every-day use.
    Yeah Lamy 2000 I think is one of the best EDC pens. It's postable and balanced when doing so, and its the sort of pen and finish where scratches don't matter, at least not to me. I just wish it had a macrolon section...that stainless steel gets me. I'm totally cool with the little metal tabs though.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I think about whether or not the pens are replaceable. I only carry around a few of my vintage pens--the pens that were bought specifically for carry and use rather than for collection. I'm willing to carry pretty much any of my modern pens, even the very expensive ones.

But I also think about where I'm going and which pens will be most appropriate for that particular day. For example, if I'm going hiking, or will be outside in the elements, I won't be taking a Pelikan M1000--I'd carry a Kaweco AL Sport or a Pilot Metropolitan or some other rugged pen that could be tossed about without worry.