Thread: Platinum Koi Fountain Pen

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Platinum Koi Fountain Pen

A couple years ago I saw some pictures of a Platinum Koi and fell deeply and madly in love. The material was so beautiful, the pen so clean and the look so balanced. It was just perfect. But it was also $$$ in my estimation, and more than I generally spend on a pen (I have a few huge deviations from this but most of my pens are sub $200 antiques snagged at good deals.)

So I waited. About a month ago I was bored and scrolling through eBay (isn't that what all pen people do when bored?) when I spotted a Platinum Koi with a Fine nib. It had a couple days to go but was only $100. I added it to my watch list. It's ending time was after I'm normally asleep so before I went to bed on its last day I entered a high bid of $180 and went to sleep assuming it would close around $200 something and I'd miss out. When I woke up in the morning, Ebay had sent a message congratulating me on my new pen.

Here she is:

It is more beautiful in person than in photos. The celluloid just *glows* much the way koi scales do when the sunlight hits them. It is warm in the hands, light, and perfectly balanced (I don't post pens so I couldn't tell you what it is like posted but I'm sure it would ruin the balance). I was nervous about that fine nib, which comes out to a Western EF. You see I don't even like Western Fines. I like big OBBs, I like broad and sharp cursive italics. I like wet writers that make any ink shade, even the ones that don't want to. I don't like tiny little nibs. I don't own a single fine nib in my whole collection, I've sold every one I've ever bought, until now.

I will never sell this pen. I inked it with one of my all time favorite inks to give that nib the best shot I could: Montblanc Winter Glow. It tends to be wet, which I like, and well behaved. I've never had it not be lovely to write with. If you have a bottle I will buy it from you, send me a PM, I really need to stockpile this stuff. Anyway. I haven't uncapped another fountain pen since I set this one to paper. The only other pen I ever, ever had this experience with is my beloved Gin-nami (my custom Nakaya). She's the only other pen that's ever bumped my rotation to nothing and just sat there being a solo flier for, well weeks.

The nib is indeed sharp, smooth but sharp is the best way I can describe it. Maybe because I've gotten so used to very sharp italics it doesn't bother me. I find I enjoy using it. Now it doesn't do anything for my handwriting, it doesn't make it pretty the way my italics do. But for a planner/journal pen... Well it was made to write in a Hobonichi.

I've never had it skip or hard start, even when the pen sits uncapped for a while as I fiddle with my calendar or mess with washi tape. I'm hugely impressed. This is my second Platinum. I bought a 3776 Chartres on a whim and hated that nib (Bold) until Pendleton made it a super oblique very sharp italic. But I do like the *pen* and this one I adore. It makes me desperately want Nakaya's koi to go with it, but that's a little more spendy than I'm going to do.

I can recommend this pen 100%. It is the polar opposite of 90% of my collection (black, German) but what a pen! Super happy with it, proof again that every now and then, you *can* hit pay dirt on eBay.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (November 18th, 2014), Bogon07 (November 18th, 2014), da vinci (November 18th, 2014), earthdawn (November 18th, 2014), gbryal (November 19th, 2014), jde (November 19th, 2014), Jeph (November 18th, 2014), Jon Szanto (November 18th, 2014), Lady Onogaro (November 18th, 2014), reprieve (November 18th, 2014), rgperedo (November 21st, 2014), Sammyo (November 18th, 2014), tinysnail (November 24th, 2014), Tony Rex (November 18th, 2014), Tracy Lee (December 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: Platinum Koi Fountain Pen

... ... ... ... ... too jealous to comment... ... ... ... ...

So happy for you... ... ... ... ...

That is a beautiful pen. I have the Century #3776 Bourgogne with a fine nib and love that too. As a daily writer for note taking it is absolutely my favourite. I agree that it does nothing for my handwriting, but it just wants to write. Enjoy your new pen
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

tandaina (November 18th, 2014)

Thanks

Congratulations on finding a new pen to love, and I'm so glad that it surpassed your expectations after it arrived. (Don't you hate it when you receive a pen you've looked forward to and it's disappointing?!) I have looked at this pen for a couple of years, too, and one day I will get one.
    Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good. - Jan Karon

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

The Koi was my first pricey pen. It is spectacular and I really enjoy it, even if the FP makes my handwriting look like I'm an arthritic, nervous wreck!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

tandaina (November 18th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I keep visiting it on Goulet pens hoping a miracle will happen and the price will drop. I'm glad you were able to get yours. Your photos are great! Thanks for letting us ogle it.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Hah, I used to do that on Goulet's as well.
    ---

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Great review on a beautiful pen. It's one I have always looked at as well. I would love to get one with the music nib on it.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

This pen is gorgeous. Your photos manage to capture some of the depth of the celluloid. You're completely right about its glow--that's something that you really notice in person. I bought mine a few years ago on a super sale at Fountain Pen Hospital. I got lucky and grabbed one with a factory music nib and it's a deliciously juicy writer. Definitely in my "never sell" pile, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Very happy for you. The Platinum "Nice" 3776 I purchase a few months back continues to impress me, and I think it would have even had I not gotten the nib italicized by Mike M. I would certainly consider getting another similar pen. I also recently happened into a Sailor Pro Gear with a very fine nib, the kind I used to rebel against (bad handwriting), but this thing is smooth as the dickens and so comfortable to write with. I'm loving my expansion in the world of Japanese nibs.

But this isn't about me, it's about you, and that pretty pen - congrats!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Congratulations! Such a beautiful pen. I had a Platinum #3776 in tortoise celluloid, and it was the warmest, loveliest celluloid pen I ever held. Platinum nibs are among my very favorite nibs. I'm so glad you are finding an appreciation for this Koi even if you are so not a fine-nib lover.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Congratulations! Your enthusiasm and joy are a pleasure to observe.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

We have a koi, but he is grey with a couple of silver spots...

Seriously though. I had just got myself round to saying "No, the Platinum celluloid pens are not really worth the money, not when you could buy so much really nice vintage celluloid for that..."

Damn it! why did you have to go and change my mind! - and I couldn't just stop at the Koi, because the Sakura looks even more beautiful....

Thanks

The Koi is gorgeous, and Platinum nibs are a joy to use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    We have a koi, but he is grey with a couple of silver spots...

Seriously though. I had just got myself round to saying "No, the Platinum celluloid pens are not really worth the money, not when you could buy so much really nice vintage celluloid for that..."

Damn it! why did you have to go and change my mind! - and I couldn't just stop at the Koi, because the Sakura looks even more beautiful....
    My work here is done.
    ---

Thanks

both engeika and rakuten are out of the koi celluloid, limited edition had run its course.

Thanks

That's why I got mine off eBay. They show up there pretty regularly...
    ---