Thread: Help

Thanks

Default Help

First of all, please don't be offended by what I'm about to ask. If I could do it with no help I would. My wife and daughters are certified teachers in Alabama. In fact my wife has her PhD and is retired on disability as am I. She and my daughter work with a home school group in our county. None of the public schools in our area even offer a handwriting class at any grade level. Shocking! They are about to start one for the home school kids at third grade level. They want to use fountain pens that remain in class. There are 30 kids and I've bought 10 inexpensive pens, mostly Platinum preppys. I need 20 more but can't afford to purchase anything due to plumbing and medical bills. If you have any cheap pens you don't use and aren't worth selling would you consider donating them to help these kids. If you are interested please email me

Curtsherry@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Help

Email sent, should be able to come close to about 10 pens for you.

C'mon people, let's make this happen!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (November 25th, 2014), reprieve (November 26th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Inbound email ...

we can do this easy...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

The other 10 Ill send...

Ill send 10 Preppys and a bunch of ink carts for them ... I have them from my .. well other pens that I don't use them in.

Great to hear your helping to keep kids writing and starting them while their interest will still be there and before they are overtaken by texting and email.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2014), reprieve (November 26th, 2014)

Thanks

Just curious, but is this a class you or anyone else stands to profit from?

I don't mean that to be taken the wrong way either, but I couldn't infer from your original post.

Thanks

No one profits from the class. If there was a profit involved i'd never ask for help. It's a home school group that groups together to meet educational standards way above the public schools. We just thought it would benefit children to have an old fashioned cursive writing class like we had in schools way back when.

Thank you guys. With everything you guys are giving there's enough now.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curtisvan For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (November 25th, 2014), Jon Szanto (November 25th, 2014), reprieve (November 26th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
    Just curious, but is this a class you or anyone else stands to profit from?

I don't mean that to be taken the wrong way either, but I couldn't infer from your original post.
    Please explain how that could even remotely be taken the right way.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

BTW, Curtis: can we assume there will be people to assist with filling pens, etc? I'm going to send some carts along for some of the pens, and a bottle of ink for the lever fillers, but I have to hope there will be someone knowledgeable in getting them up and running... er, writing.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Most definitely. With this I finally can have a reason to get my wife involved in my obsession. Times are so different now. I remember "cursive" classes from 3rd grade on. The pens were lever fillers kept in our teachers cabinet. They even taught us how to fill them. Then about sixth grade everyone had the amazing cartridge fillers. Ha. For some reason everyone had schaeffers. Thank you all so much.

Thanks

Best of luck with the endeavor, Curtis. I go to a couple nearby schools once per year to show around fountain pens and advice with the kids that have issues with handwriting. Not easy but most rewarding. It's magic to see how a girl that was struggling since kindergarten learns to grab the tools in the right way and in less than a year gets praised for her handwriting. The look in her eyes...I¡ll never forget. Well worth the pens and inks. Thank you to Jon Szanto and Earthdawn for their generosity as well.

Thanks

Thanks all of you. Our educational system has left behind teaching penmanship. My granddaughter, a seventh grader has had no cursive writing instruction. Her lack of writing skills brought this to my attention. I've been working with her and she actually loves the journaling.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Curtisvan View Post
    Thanks all of you. Our educational system has left behind teaching penmanship. My granddaughter, a seventh grader has had no cursive writing instruction. Her lack of writing skills brought this to my attention. I've been working with her and she actually loves the journaling.
    I wish I had done more to maintain my cursive ability when I was taught penmanship in school. I didn't really care about it at the time, and I stopped writing with it. I've been working on it since I got into fountain pens, and it has definitely improved.

Thanks

I agree sgtstretch. I used to make A's in handwriting and now it's not near as good. Helping these kids is helping me.
    Thanks to everyone. I'm going to mark the thread as sold because with what you're all doing we'll have enough to get the job done. Now to get over this insane flu.