Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What is up with FPN?

Thanks

Default Re: What is up with FPN?

Quote Originally Posted by wimg View Post
    As FPN we don't normally comment on anything said about FPN on any other site.

So let me just explain the current status.

First of all, FPN isn't and wasn't hacked. However, with the redirects experienced by several people, and FPN being a family-oriented board, we could not do anything but react and bring the board off-line and investigate very, very thoroughly. That is exactly what we did. It is very clear that FPN itself is clean, squeaky clean, as is its server, software and any files on the system.

What appears to be the case is what is called DNS-spoofing. A compromised or hacked DNS server somewhere redirects FPN traffic to other sites than FPN. It doesn't happen all the time, and not to everybody, but it is worrying nonetheless. With the aid of the server hosting team, the software support team, and a bunch of helpful fans, we are working towards a solution.

It isn't simple, and it takes time to do.

In short, we are working on it, at different levels. That's all there is to it.

Regards, Wim
    FPN Admin
    So now you turn up. How about answering some of the "other" questions and queries about the way you "operate" ( that's a polite way of putting it) in a forum where you don't just delete what you don't like? Your opening line is a really gutless way to avoid open debate, try being a decent person for once and you might find some people would respect that. The way you've treated some people is just pathetic ( and sad), simple as that. I do hope you solve the issues as you have a worthwhile and generally well liked forum , pity I can't say that about you though.

Warm Regard
    Hugh

Thanks

First of all, FPN isn't and wasn't hacked. However, with the redirects experienced by several people, and FPN being a family-oriented board, we could not do anything but react and bring the board off-line and investigate very, very thoroughly. That is exactly what we did. It is very clear that FPN itself is clean, squeaky clean, as is its server, software and any files on the system.

What appears to be the case is what is called DNS-spoofing. A compromised or hacked DNS server somewhere redirects FPN traffic to other sites than FPN. It doesn't happen all the time, and not to everybody, but it is worrying nonetheless. With the aid of the server hosting team, the software support team, and a bunch of helpful fans, we are working towards a solution.

Regards, Wim
    FPN Admin

Hey, bud. I can share some pictures with you, if that will help. Bwhahahaha...

regards

David
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dowdyism View Post
    P.S. Hey Woosang!
    Hello, yes?? ,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

So, uh, where do I post about Pen Posses? Geek Groups? Geek Gatherings? Er... Geekerings?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    So, uh, where do I post about Pen Posses? Geek Groups? Geek Gatherings? Er... Geekerings?
    Sounds like "Clubs and Shows" forum.

:waves:
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Oh, Lisa...
    Snap37.jpg
    Clubs and Shows

Thanks
    Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,026 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    Hmmm, maybe poorly named. I could see Lisa smacking me over the head with a bat and then flashing people...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,754 Posts

Eats, shoots, and leaves?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 26th, 2013)

Thanks

Regards, Wim
    FPN Admin
    If the redirects are the result of DNS spoofing, there's not much you can do about it. Further, it's not FPN's responsibility to fix it. If people accessing FPN get redirected to another site, they need to complain to their local service provider, not FPN. Someone complaining to FPN because they got redirected to another web site when they tried to access FPN would be like me complaining to Maxwell House because the sales clerk at my local Wal-Mart told me Maxwell House coffee was on isle 2 when it fact it's on isle 6. You can't fix this problem on your end of the chain. Asking members to clear their local cache (as you've done) can help, but only if the problem has been fixed on the DNS server(s) they access for name resolution. The local cache speeds up name resolution by accessing the DNS details on the local computer rather than having to access the DNS servers every time name resolution was needed. However, the local DNS cache information is only as good as the information it got from the DNS servers to begin with. Cudos perhaps for trying and being responsive to member complaints, but good luck with that.

Hi all. I would have preferred my first post here to have been something about fountain pens, but it is what it is. Wait... I can fix that...

Fountain pens are awesome and I'm happy to be here!
    Last edited by radaddict; April 26th, 2013 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks

We have a great forum right here. I see no reason to discuss the issues at FPN.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

12. The Following User Says Thank You to southpaw52 For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 26th, 2013)

Thanks

Agree!!! Its enough... but I canīt help watching... human nature is a strange thing...
    Last edited by piscov; April 26th, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
    Best regards
    Vasco

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

Thanks

Last edited by tytoalba; April 26th, 2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Thanks

DNS Spoofing wouldn't be redirecting individual pages. It works on DNS lookups, which are at the domain level.

Thanks

thanks for the explanation in non tech language.
    I didn't have any of the negative redirects, but then I have fairly tight security, and clean the "machine" obsessively due to past issues. (runs quicker that way too).
    Also, Thanks to FPG's for hosting all the extra folks. I've been popping in here for a long time, and enjoy the pleasant atmosphere.

My single pen world grievance is that I work Saturdays and can't watch the Podcasts live. Great Show Guys!!! Great good humor, and quite the polished performances.

oops duplicate post sorry.
    Last edited by tytoalba; April 26th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks

In general, the DNS system has some security issues. Nothing to do with any particular web site.

You don't need to use the DNS services provided by your ISP, which can sometimes be less secure. This can be changed in Windows, at the router lever (in your home or business), and probably on a MAC, (though I'm not personally familiar.)

A few free alternatives:

OpenDNS
    http://www.opendns.com/business-solu...-dns/benefits/

Norton Connect Safe:

https://dns.norton.com/dnsweb/dnsForHome.do

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw52 View Post
    We have a great forum right here. I see no reason to discuss the issues at FPN.
    But its so cathartic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post
    Have only been to the site twice, and ages ago. I had trouble following threads but perhaps that was lack of forum experience. At any rate, my husband uses a prop replica forum and their rules are very strict so it does depend on the mods and what their goals are. Sometimes those goals are not compatible with all users. I so enjoy this community and the free exchange of information, reviews, opinions, etc. I have learned so much I don't have a need for another forum right now. But I am a FP simpleton compared to most of you, so I hope you can encourage clarity on their new rules so you can continue to enjoy that community, too.
    From a fellow forum simpleton, Tracy, I had the same experience of being overwhelmed by the content. I sort of joined by mistake because (being an uber-Noobie in forums) I thought it was like a "parent company" of FPGeeks. Boy, was I wrong. I feel so comfortable here with you all, it was like I got on the wrong train going over there. Having said that, I did get on the FPInks train to get the three exclusive inks. Using PayPal to pay to an email address directly was new to me, so I kept emailing Win-Admin to see if they got the payment. They were nice about it, seemingly hurried with all the requests, and I finally received them. Then they went offline. Whew! (Longest post I've ever written...so far)

Sent from the iPhone of Madame X.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ThriveToScribe For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (May 1st, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I can recommend OpenDNS. I use the family/home version of OpenDNS to help secure my home network. It runs on my router (which has Tomato router firmware). I also installed some extra scripts on Tomato for another layer of protection.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

wimg

Well, we located the cause of the problems, and fixed it with the aid of our registrar.

This means that FPN may be unreachable for up to 24 hours from some parts of the internet. Someone appears to have changed the Domain Name Server registration at the registrar, not in our account itself, and our ip-address was replaced on their servers with someone else's. This means there were two sets of DNS's, each set pointing to different ip-addresses, one correct and one wrong.

That is corrected now, but needs to propagate over the internet first. As mentioned, that takes up to 24 hours.

Regards, Wim
    FPN Admin

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimg For This Useful Post:

Maja (April 27th, 2013), Ravenlunatic (April 26th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    Hmmm, maybe poorly named. I could see Lisa smacking me over the head with a bat and then flashing people...

Thanks, Dan!

Jon, don't you mean (for the second part) DANCING! like a ballerina!