Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
I'm a touch hesitant to offer my thoughts on this, but here goes. In my own experience it really depends on what I am writing. If I am brainstorming or just getting ideas down on paper then I go fast and don't worry overly much about structure, grammar or spelling. On the other hand, if I am writing a letter to a friend I don't really want to have to do several drafts - that is, I try to get my thoughts in order and onto the page correctly first time of asking. So I slow down significantly, not so much in the act of writing but in the thought before the pen touches the paper. When taking notes at a lecture I cleave to the idea that handwriting forces one to actually listen, understand and summarise - as opposed to verbatim typing which requires none of these things.

I realise that many people do things in many different ways. This is my way, ordinary that it is. Sorry for not offering anything too exciting, illuminating or radical.

That sounds like like a very good method, don't be so hard on yourself. Is there anything you enjoy doing (pen related or not)?