Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What else do you all collect??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Default What else do you all collect??

Gosh, I thought I was the only person collecting dogs. I'm realizing I'm in good company.
    Last edited by Crazyorange; July 11th, 2016 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,714 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: What else do you all collect??

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

amk (July 12th, 2016), ethernautrix (August 29th, 2016), KKay (August 3rd, 2016), penwash (July 11th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeminarianMike View Post
    Love that PP. My watch collection hasn't evolved to that level, and given my love of fast, fun cars it may never. I have a few cheap-o Seikos, a Lum-tec M65, and a Tudor Black Bay on the winder. My fiance does have a pair of Raymond-Weil's and a C.Ward on the winder as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,424 Posts

jar, you licensed for those?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,864 Times in 1,170 Posts

Books and dust.
    I collect books, the books collect dust.

Maybe accumulate is a better word.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

amk (July 12th, 2016), Crazyorange (July 12th, 2016), Hawk (July 11th, 2016), KKay (August 3rd, 2016), Lady Onogaro (July 11th, 2016)

Thanks

My boss is jealous. Knives, that is.
    Last edited by Hawk; August 30th, 2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: clarification
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,580 Times in 944 Posts

Books here, too. I have a tiny collection of signed Edward Gorey books and ephemera, but I have everthing in it from books about Hiroshige and and other Ukiyo-e artists and works of poetry by the Chinese poets Tu Fu, Wang Wei, and Li Po. I also like reading early mysteries (those written in the Victorian period through the 1920s) and travel literature, especially books about journeys to the Middle East, Asia, and Africa.

And then there are cats. I have two, but my house seems to be the congregating place for a few of the neighborhood cats. One seems to have taken up residence (we have named him Rudy). Little Rudy cost us $190.00 today--he seems to have a terrible flea allergy, and so we took him to the vet for treatment. I can't stand to see an animal suffering, and Rudy is awfully sweet. I wish people would take care of their animals.
    Last edited by Lady Onogaro; July 11th, 2016 at 08:33 PM.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

amk (July 12th, 2016), Crazyorange (July 12th, 2016), KKay (August 3rd, 2016), Red Harry N. G. (September 5th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    No license needed for any of those. I have a few big knives too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I'm not sure "collect" is the most becoming word for it, but I do have 7 dogs.
    There's nothing else I collect, really.
    Will,

Have you posted their pictures in the thread on dogs? I would love to see them.
    Yes, I think I did post some pictures of a few of them there at some point! My sister and I recently tried getting them all to pose for a "family portrait"--a near-impossible feat. I'll post those pictures if I can find them.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Books here, too. I have a tiny collection of signed Edward Gorey books and ephemera, but I have everthing in it from books about Hiroshige and and other Ukiyo-e artists and works of poetry by the Chinese poets Tu Fu, Wang Wei, and Li Po. I also like reading early mysteries (those written in the Victorian period through the 1920s) and travel literature, especially books about journeys to the Middle East, Asia, and Africa.

And then there are cats. I have two, but my house seems to be the congregating place for a few of the neighborhood cats. One seems to have taken up residence (we have named him Rudy). Little Rudy cost us $190.00 today--he seems to have a terrible flea allergy, and so we took him to the vet for treatment. I can't stand to see an animal suffering, and Rudy is awfully sweet. I wish people would take care of their animals.
    Another Gorey aficionado here, though nothing approaching a collection and nothing signed. Missed a chance to pick up a signed anthology in my impoverished student days. I say missed. Looked at the sticker in the case, went wow and moved on. As an impoverished adult I'd probably do the same.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Nice matter separators there, Jar! Even "en miniature". So, now you got to show us some BIG ones... (love knives, as I'm working with them a lot)
    Last edited by inklord; July 12th, 2016 at 03:59 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Nice matter separators there, Jar! Even "en miniature". So, now you got to show us some BIG ones... (love knives, as I'm working with them a lot)
    Here are a couple older Ken Richardson Stag handle Bowies from back when he was still making his knives from old saw blade stock.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

inklord (July 17th, 2016), KKay (August 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

Wow, Jar, what is that second damascened blade in bright blue? It's fantastic!!!

I collect:
    books
    musical instruments
    comtoise clocks (also known as 'Morbier' clocks)
    boxes
    cats
    interesting scars.

The latter particularly when one of the cats has to be taken to the vet or given a pill :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    Wow, Jar, what is that second damascened blade in bright blue? It's fantastic!!!
    That one is from James Luman who studied under Bob Terrzoulas. Here is a folder that Bob Terrzoulas made.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

inklord (July 17th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,580 Times in 944 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post

Another Gorey aficionado here, though nothing approaching a collection and nothing signed. Missed a chance to pick up a signed anthology in my impoverished student days. I say missed. Looked at the sticker in the case, went wow and moved on. As an impoverished adult I'd probably do the same.
    It's funny, but the Gorey signed editions were not expensive at all at the time I bought them. I got them from Gotham Books when I was in New York for the Sherlock Holmes weekend (that is, the annual meetings of the Baker Street Irregulars--which I could not attend at that time, not being an Irregular or guest of an Irregular or of the male gender (this has since changed)--and The Adventuresses of Sherlock Holmes--which I could attend being of the female gender (both men and women were and are welcome at that event). Gorey was still alive at the time (the late 1980s), and would drop into the store occasionally and sign books. I also got a few books and postcard sets via a friend who visited the shop and sent them to me as gifts. I have no idea what they would go for today; I can't think they would be all that valuable. I prize them more for the memories.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Apparently I am now collecting Pokemon.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,769 Posts

Collecting cups and such invariably leads to collecting coffee paraphernalia.

My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (July 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post

It's funny, but the Gorey signed editions were not expensive at all at the time I bought them. I got them from Gotham Books when I was in New York for the Sherlock Holmes weekend (that is, the annual meetings of the Baker Street Irregulars--which I could not attend at that time, not being an Irregular or guest of an Irregular or of the male gender (this has since changed)--and The Adventuresses of Sherlock Holmes--which I could attend being of the female gender (both men and women were and are welcome at that event). Gorey was still alive at the time (the late 1980s), and would drop into the store occasionally and sign books. I also got a few books and postcard sets via a friend who visited the shop and sent them to me as gifts. I have no idea what they would go for today; I can't think they would be all that valuable. I prize them more for the memories.
    I guess Gorey books were harder to come by outside the US in those days, let alone signed first editions, and the bookshop priced accordingly!

But you're right, the important thing isn't the value of books (or things, generally) - it's the memories. Which is why I have such a hard time letting go of stuff. But that's another story.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (July 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeminarianMike View Post
    I also have a 1675 vintage Rolex gmt in safety deposit and a new yachtmaster ruber strap model coming

God Bless You! Michael W. Howard
    WOW!! Way out of my league! Beautiful!!

Thanks

Thanks my friends! If your interested in watches i am starting to cover jewelry "mainly watches" for maniac magazine it's a Pittsburgh based fashion magazine. Just something I'm doing on the side! Let me know if u care to read my next article

God Bless You! Michael W. Howard