Thread: Banned From FPN?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Default Re: Banned From FPN?

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post
    ... or they pushed on the limits and found a forceful hand-slap faster than expected.
    often this
    And often not. FFS, do we always need to have the same 'arguments'? We are here, not there. People come here because they don't like it there. Why sit around and talk about how it's not so bad over there? In an open setting such as this, you are more than welcome to, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to be an FPN apologist here on FPG.
    Well, I don't know and I don't give a darn. Let's not split hairs, if they're over here, naturally, there's both sides to hear! The privilege is theirs! No use in putting on heirs, when the pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle, not the brew that is... wait what was the question again?

On a serious note I've noticed a fall-off in activity from a particularly knowledgable FPN member after a thread was closed, with depressing hints about certain contributors being on thin ice. I hope he hasn't had a temporary ban or some of those 'naughty points' that were briefly & accidentally for all to see. While tenacious in his arguments I have never seen an insulting or rule-bending post from this individual.
    Who?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,872 Times in 811 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Well, it seems my turn has come up to be banned from FPN.
    Badge of Honor
    It seems that I have suddenly and unexpectedly lost my Badge of Honor.

I had given up trying to sign in to FPN but today I was surprisingly able to access the site. Somehow I now feel publicly disgraced like that character played by Chuck Connors in the series "Branded"...

https://youtu.be/TXlUS5-ag_g

Please move along... Nothing more to see here.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Badge of Honor

I had given up trying to sign in to FPN but today I was surprisingly able to access the site. Somehow I now feel publicly disgraced like that character played by Chuck Connors in the series "Branded"...

If it will make you feel better I'll still ban you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (February 18th, 2017)

Thanks

Badge of Honor

Just go back over there and say something sensisble and completely not in violation of any rules. I am sure if wim or one of his merry band had a dissapointing breakfast or doesn't like the weather they'll give you the boot anyway, just for shits and giggles. Lord knows it is easy enough to get banned over there. The most arbitraily moderated board I have ever been on. I sometimes think they literally pick people to ban at random which is why your original post was not at all surprising to me.

I had an entire thread pulled. Complete with pictures, catalog numbers, translation/trasliteration and other information (all that information was lost to me) on some Japanese products that had no English explainations anywhere on the packages or adverts. I was trying to provide some in the hopes that others would help and we could crowd source the rest and learn something and have the info there as a repository for future folks searching google for the same information. It was explained to me that the thread was dumped because they claimed I was saying LITERALLY THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what I was actually said. No warning, they just pulled the thread. Alll the content gone. Why put any content there then? Of course the missing owner/moderator on this site makes me wonder the same thing sometimes. Reddit is pretty awful and the FB groups are a mess too. We need one good board with one smart and fair reliable moderator to run it.

Thanks

Arrow Re: Banned From FPN?

I had an entire thread pulled. Complete with pictures, catalog numbers, translation/trasliteration and other information (all that information was lost to me) on some Japanese products that had no English explainations anywhere on the packages or adverts. I was trying to provide some in the hopes that others would help and we could crowd source the rest and learn something and have the info there as a repository for future folks searching google for the same information. It was explained to me that the thread was dumped because they claimed I was saying LITERALLY THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what I was actually said. No warning, they just pulled the thread. Alll the content gone.
    Not to impugn your capabilities, but did you offer to enroll in a premium membership?

It had been suggested to me and others that, "those who support FPN (financially), get the support of FPN".

I always argued that as content creators, posters were already supporting FPN and indeed the most prolific and knowledgeable were the proverbial "golden geese" who made the whole business model work for Mr. Geeraets. Unfortunately, I lacked the clout of an emerald membership that would have allowed the admin to hear me.

Alll the content gone. Why put any content there then?
    Quite right and many of us posted in community feedback when FPN announced a TOS change a few years back where they claimed exclusive and perpetual right to use anything posted or hosted on their servers as they saw fit. The actual text posts, okay maybe. Photos and intellectual property were a different matter and quite a reach by FPN. Of course, the community feedback posts were hidden by the admin without (public) comment and the TOS stood as written.
    Last edited by Chemyst; February 17th, 2017 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chemyst View Post
    Not to impugn your capabilities, but did you offer to enroll in a premium membership?

It had been suggested to me and others that, "those who support FPN (financially), get the support of FPN".
    I once was a gold member and had contributed. I had stopped by that point. I am still on there occasionally but I spend way more time here now. I also check reddit but that place is a sewer and filled with largely contentless "I GOT A NEW PEN" threads, which gets tiresome.

FPG has been great to me so far I just sometimes wish we had more traffic and a regular moderator (Sanzo would be perfect for that role).

Despite the lower traffic I have also found that oddly, I have gotten great trades and purchases and sales over here and a higher level of success/satisfaction.

I thought about starting a Facebook Group but don't think anyone find it and join. Besides I like the folks here.

I just worry how long this place can continue without a rudder.

Thanks

I once was a gold member and had contributed. I had stopped by that point.
    Well, I imagine greater (perceived) sins require that you purchase larger indulgences.

Could be a way ahead for you, if you are still interested in having your thread restored.

Thanks

Could be a way ahead for you, if you are still interested in having your thread restored.
    Don't care. Moved on. Too long ago. Thanks tho.

Thanks

If someone is brave (!) enough.. you could start a new pen forum, although I have seen a couple around already but quiet and small...

I should have started my snail mail forum a little earlier when this site and Incowrimo went offline 2 years ago. Bruce started Incowrimo-2017 in autumn last year as no Incowrimo official happenings in 2016 which seems to have spurred on update for the official site this year.

Thanks

FPG has been great to me so far I just sometimes wish we had more traffic and a regular moderator (Sanzo would be perfect for that role).
    Is this like voting in someone as Chair of a Department when they are on sabbatical or out of the room?
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Between FPN and here, there is a lot of useful information. They can both be used for what they are good for. And both have their flaws.

Sent from my BLU ADVANCE 5.0 HD using Tapatalk

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

I always argued that as content creators, posters were already supporting FPN and indeed the most prolific and knowledgeable were the proverbial "golden geese" who made the whole business model work for Mr. Geeraets. Unfortunately, I lacked the clout of an emerald membership that would have allowed the admin to hear me.
    Tis the reason why I left FPN. I had a long back-in-forth chat with wim on on how FPN is built on content creators. He rightly claims that FPN is privately owned and that he can do as he wish regarding filtering content. I realized that I no longer wanted to be part of an "organization" where non-paid content creators are marginalized.
    Last edited by dfo; February 18th, 2017 at 01:49 PM.
    "Love is the final fight."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (February 18th, 2017), jbb (February 18th, 2017)

Thanks

Marginalized how? That has never happened to me, and I have posted there many more times than here. And I don't give them any $.

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Not interested in directly responding to the question of marginalization, as I told Wim I wouldn't cause a ruckus. I never got banned, but I no longer want to be a part of the privately held company that is FPN.
    DF
    Last edited by dfo; February 18th, 2017 at 05:09 PM.
    "Love is the final fight."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (February 18th, 2017), jbb (February 18th, 2017)

Thanks

Okie dokie. Sorry that you had a negative experience there. Isn't this forum privately owned also? Aren't we simply the beneficiaries of a wealthy person's largesse and set of rules (albeit unenforced)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Is this like voting in someone as Chair of a Department when they are on sabbatical or out of the room?
    Everyone agreed say aye ...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (February 18th, 2017)

Thanks

Something very positive about FPG, adding to the other ones discussed here, is Tapatalk compatibility. Reading the forum throughout the app is much more convenient than the mobile version of FPN on Android's Chrome.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 578 Posts

Where is the evidence FPN offers protection payments?

Thanks

I'm very fond of FPN. It's the forum I started on, back in 2009, and if I were ever banned, I would miss participating on the board a lot.

There's so much about the banning issue that's down to judgement call; what merits a ban/ what doesn't, what rules are just/what aren't.

It's okay with me if judgements are made I don't agree with, because there's no way a forum the size of FPN is going to have rules and judgements that seem fair to everybody. There are a couple of issues once a banning has been passed that I have not been able to reconcile:

1. Banned members are flagged as 'Away'. If a member is de facto banned, they should be flagged as such. It is disconcerting when folk are euphamistically disappeared. Chemyst's banning is an example of a FPN banning done 'right', in that the avatar's signature line explains the transgression.

2. Similarly, if a member is de facto banned, they should be told as much -not 'suspended' for a specified period that indefinitely extends.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 19th, 2017), Chemyst (February 19th, 2017), Chrissy (February 19th, 2017), jar (February 19th, 2017), Jon Szanto (February 19th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (February 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sitsi View Post
    Something very positive about FPG, adding to the other ones discussed here, is Tapatalk compatibility. Reading the forum throughout the app is much more convenient than the mobile version of FPN on Android's Chrome.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk
    Claro