Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Pen Storage - Cigar Boxes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default More Pen Storage - Cigar Boxes

I have a few cigar boxes that Bamapen (John) from FPN converted for pen storage. I also have some larger boxes that I use to store ink and pen cleaning\filling\grinding\extra nibs and supplies. First, the pen storage:

The first is a Cohiba box. It holds 13 pens. It has a button closure. My only requirement on these boxes are that they have a black exterior and hold 10 pens or more. John will email me once in a while if he has a box he thinks I might like.

Cigar Box Storage by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Cigar Box Storage by IvanRomero, on Flickr

This next one is a Rocky Patel box. It holds ten pens and did not need to have the tray put in because it already comes that way. John just put the green felt in it.

Cigar Box Pen Storage by IvanRomero, on Flickr

2011-11-09 19.53.42.jpg by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Here is one of my ink storage boxes. I have two of them. The other is my supply box:

2011-08-28 15.51.36-1.jpg by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Ink Storage Box by IvanRomero, on Flickr

I received a two new pen storage boxes from John a couple of weeks ago but have not posted any pictures yet. It is very similar to the ink storage box but is about half the hieght. It has two double decked and pen trays which I like very much. The other has some interesting back story to it. He bought it on eBay and as it turns out, the seller was in my city. He offered it up to me and I paid for it and picked it up locally. I need to get pictures of that one too.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

KI, that Cohiba box is one of my favourites, must be the red bits.

The Rothchilde ink box is lovely and surprisingly similar to the dark walnut colour I've stained a small Xmas biscuit box for some pen stuff.
    Have to start looking for a nice box like that to hold 12-15 Noodler's bottles.

Looking forward to seeing your new boxes too.

Your pen collection must be approaching the stage where you are contemplating a pen cabinet as well as boxes ?
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Im off to the cigar store tomorrow!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    KI, that Cohiba box is one of my favourites, must be the red bits.

The Rothchilde ink box is lovely and surprisingly similar to the dark walnut colour I've stained a small Xmas biscuit box for some pen stuff.
    Have to start looking for a nice box like that to hold 12-15 Noodler's bottles.

Looking forward to seeing your new boxes too.

Your pen collection must be approaching the stage where you are contemplating a pen cabinet as well as boxes ?
    The boxes are black but I can see them being mistaken for an extra dark walnut. You have to post your boxes up. Especially that tiger looking one. I don't think I have seen your ink box.

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Im off to the cigar store tomorrow!
    I have to do that too!

Thanks

A few more boxes to post:

this one was a $10 find (shipped) through a post on FPN. Someone on Amazon was selling them.

Pen Case by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Pen Case by IvanRomero, on Flickr

and another Cigar box:

2011-07-12 19.18.36.jpg by IvanRomero, on Flickr

2011-07-12 19.19.09.jpg by IvanRomero, on Flickr

2011-07-12 19.19.18.jpg by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    The boxes are black but I can see them being mistaken for an extra dark walnut. You have to post your boxes up. Especially that tiger looking one. I don't think I have seen your ink box.
    Mine embrassassingly don't have grooved sections to separate the pens so the Lamys are all piled on top of one another.
    I'm still looking for a box to house the inks.

The Nording/Toro box is similar to your Aged 10 years one. They're both Rocky Patel so I suppose that's why.

That glass top pen case would be nice for showing off your favourite pens and it has a lovely polished or varnished finish.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Mine embrassassingly don't have grooved sections to separate the pens so the Lamys are all piled on top of one another.
    I'm still looking for a box to house the inks.

The Nording/Toro box is similar to your Aged 10 years one. They're both Rocky Patel so I suppose that's why.

That glass top pen case would be nice for showing off your favourite pens and it has a lovely polished or varnished finish.
    Bogon, there are flocked trays that can be sourced on eBay that can be used to line your box. Some people also make there own flocked trays with felt and cardboard.

Here is the newest box. It is double decked with a 20 pen capacity. John explained that the pen tray inserts are actually Parker pen trays that just happened to fit perfectly in the box. This is not the prettiest box but I think it is awesome.

More Cigar Box Pen Storage by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Thanks

Default Re: More Pen Storage - Cigar Boxes

Very nice looking pen and ink storage boxes, KrazyIvan.

I also have a couple of cigar boxes repurposed by John - I think he does great work and for a very reasonable price. One of them is for pen storage, the other is for carrying pens to my Pen Posse meetings. This spring I repurposed a small cigar box for pen storage myself - lots of fun! I do need to think about ink storage; I'm currently using a small medicine chest/cabinet from the 1940's or 50's but soon there will be no more room in it - amazing how quickly pens and inks accumulate all on their own, isn't it?

I don't want to hi-jack your thread, or I would post some pictures of my cigar boxes here as well.

Holly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OakIris For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (April 26th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
    Very nice looking pen and ink storage boxes, KrazyIvan.

I also have a couple of cigar boxes repurposed by John - I think he does great work and for a very reasonable price. One of them is for pen storage, the other is for carrying pens to my Pen Posse meetings. This spring I repurposed a small cigar box for pen storage myself - lots of fun! I do need to think about ink storage; I'm currently using a small medicine chest/cabinet from the 1940's or 50's but soon there will be no more room in it - amazing how quickly pens and inks accumulate all on their own, isn't it?

I don't want to hi-jack your thread, or I would post some pictures of my cigar boxes here as well.

Holly
    Please do post. I just realized I never posted the last box John did for me. Well, at least not in this thread. It is a double decked box with top layer pen storage and bottom layer ink storage.

SLR Cigar Box Pen-Ink Storage Review by IvanRomero, on Flickr

See the review at inktronics.posterous.com by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Thanks

Another good looking storage box, KrazyIvan. I sure wish I had a good local source for cigar boxes; John sure finds some nice ones! I don't need any more pen storage, but these are such fun to make.....

Here are some pictures of my Pen Posse case:

At the top, you can see the leather handle attached to the cigar box:

IMG_0593.JPG

Here is the side showing the latch:

IMG_0592.JPG

Here is the box open - the pens can be secured either by two cloth pads or with one cloth pad and a small journal, as in this photo; my tiny portable rocker blotter is in there, too:

IMG_0602.JPG

Here it is with pens in place:

IMG_0597.JPG

I don't seem to have any photos of the other cigar box that John repurposed for me; I will have to take some this weekend.

Here is the one that I "made" using microsuede cloth for the lining and birch plywood and oak dowels covered with pigskin leather for the pen cradles:

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

I hope others will post pictures of cigar box storage, too, and perhaps this thread will inspire others to take a foray into repurposing cigar boxes - or other boxes - for pen and ink storage. Sometimes I think I enjoy the paraphernalia side of our hobby more than I do actually using the pens!

Holly

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Hey, these are nice.

I don't have a crafty bone in my body, so I'm very impressed.

Thanks

Oh, wow. I really like the box with the handle. It opens up in a way I have not seen before. The one you made is really nice. I like the use of the micro fiber.

I have one more box that John actually purchased on eBay and it was in my city. He asked if I wanted it and could pick up locally. I took it. I still need to clean it up but it is pretty much ready to go. It has slots already and they are lined in black felt like material. It even had some of those glass test tube cigar holders. It is somewhat big for the amount of pens I can store in it but looks cool. I'll have to get some pictures to post later.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

FPG member Pendora (Michelle) sells some very nice tray liners that can be cut to fit most any need, and at a reasonable cost. I picked up a couple at the LA Pen Show for future box conversions. See them on her web site right here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    FPG member Pendora (Michelle) sells some very nice tray liners that can be cut to fit most any need, and at a reasonable cost. I picked up a couple at the LA Pen Show for future box conversions. See them on her web site right here.
    Those trays might be good for my box. I could probably fit 20 pens in that box. I might do away with the built in slots and get those trays. I'll have to get a closer look at the box tonight.

Thanks

Another good looking storage box, KrazyIvan. I sure wish I had a good local source for cigar boxes;
    <snip>

Holly
    I've found that anywhere that sells cigars, whether it's a tobacco place or liquor store will sometimes sell or even give away some of their cigar boxes, all you have to do is ask.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Oh, wow. I really like the box with the handle. It opens up in a way I have not seen before. The one you made is really nice. I like the use of the micro fiber.

I have one more box that John actually purchased on eBay and it was in my city. He asked if I wanted it and could pick up locally. I took it. I still need to clean it up but it is pretty much ready to go. It has slots already and they are lined in black felt like material. It even had some of those glass test tube cigar holders. It is somewhat big for the amount of pens I can store in it but looks cool. I'll have to get some pictures to post later.
    The way the box opens is ideal for pen posses, too - just open it up and there all the pens are on display! I haven't seen another box like this, either, but they must be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    Another good looking storage box, KrazyIvan. I sure wish I had a good local source for cigar boxes;
    <snip>

Holly
    I've found that anywhere that sells cigars, whether it's a tobacco place or liquor store will sometimes sell or even give away some of their cigar boxes, all you have to do is ask.
    Of course, you can buy them on eBay as well, but free or local purchase would be much nicer. Unfortunately, most of the local cigar and tobacco shops that were in this area of metro Denver have closed or become primarily head shops, as far as I can tell. I do have one liquor store here that sells nice cigars; I ask every time I go in there if they have any empty wooden cigar boxes, but so far have had no luck. The truth is I don't have enough pens to justify the storage I already have, let alone needing more, or else I would go farther afield to find a "real" pipe and cigar shop where boxes would be more readily available.

Holly

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

The truth is I don't have enough pens to justify the storage I already have...

Holly
    Well, my dear, you know the obvious solution to *that* little problem...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

It's only fitting that the Fountain Pen Sith Lord's boxes are black!

Oh and that one you got for $10 is not black. You should probably get rid of it! Soon. Now.
    --------------------------------
    I am but a simple caveman.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    The truth is I don't have enough pens to justify the storage I already have...

Holly
    Well, my dear, you know the obvious solution to *that* little problem...
    Very true, Jon! If only funds allowed......

Holly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thagbert View Post
    It's only fitting that the Fountain Pen Sith Lord's boxes are black!

Oh and that one you got for $10 is not black. You should probably get rid of it! Soon. Now.
    It is in the box sitting under my desk at work.